Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Continuing job dead-end dilemma
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I have a bit of a dilemma: I’m 42, I’ve reached a bit of a dead-end as a senior architectural technician (both in terms of job role and salary) and I don’t really know where to go from here.

I am in the middle of a Certificate of Higher Ed in Geology (part-time, evenings), which I love, and am considering continuing on to do the BSc: However, I think I have to be realistic when it comes to prospects with this and accept that I may be better off, at least financially, if I stay in my current industry where I have 15 years of experience. Ideally, I’d rather move on to something new (and something that interests me, such as the geology) but I won’t deny that money has to be a factor, given my age.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

aP
    Free Member

The architectural technologist I used to work closely with is now a technical director for a medium sized housebuilder, so there’s that kind of role which would mean that you’d be part managing either their in house technical capability or external consultants.
    Alternatively, why not look at moving jobs to a practice that might offer you more opportunities?

piemonster

How demanding is your current role. Is it really the right thing to do to continually progress in the workplace?

Perhaps you could take the energy and time away from you professional life and put it into something else!?

I’m not saying these are the right things for you, just punting an alternative option out there. Good luck whatever you do. (Written by someone with no career ambitions beyond covering bills)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Unless you are reasonably high up in the Oil or Gas industry or work in Gold/base metal exploration overseas then there isn’t a massive amount of money in geology, the principal application of which in the U.K. Is the Geotechnical industry which isn’t ever going to make anyone rich.

mikey74
    Free Member

Perhaps you could take the energy and time away from you professional life and put it into something else!?

and

Unless you are reasonably high up in the Oil or Gas industry or work in Gold/base metal exploration overseas then there isn’t a massive amount of money in geology, the principal application of which in the U.K. Is the Geotechnical industry which isn’t ever going to make anyone rich.

… are my main thoughts at the moment. If I stopped my studies then I could travel a bit more, sort out my flat etc. Alternatively, I could continue with my studies as “fun”, but it’s an expensive hobby, especially if I went down the route of a BSc.

The architectural technologist I used to work closely with is now a technical director for a medium sized housebuilder,

That is something I’ve also considered. How does he find it, compared to being an Arch. Tech.?

HughStew

What are your financial commitments?
    I was thinking about a career change a coupe of years ago, but I have a fairly substantial mortgage (I had to start again 6 years ago due to divorce) and a daughter and 2 step-kids who still need financial support. I’d like to have switched career but it would have had a major impact on my and family’s standard of living.

In April I’m starting a new job in a related field which allows me to be home more and is only a small pay cut. So the shift of job focus rather than total change worked for me.

Good Luck.

mikey74
    Free Member

What are your financial commitments?

I don’t really have any: I don’t have a wife or children, and I rent my flat. I’m my only financial commitment, although I can be pretty high maintenance :mrgreen:

jimmy

I was in a similar situation a few years back. Dead-end IT job that I didn’t enjoy too much, went back to Uni to do an Environmental MSc which was enjoyable but job prospects were slim – graduated when the crash happened so my lack of experience put me at the bottom of the pile in an industry already not laden with jobs. Went back to IT and my 2 years out effectively put me back at the bottom of the pecking order again in a company where I’ve had to build a reputation afresh. I now don’t care so much about the job I do – flexibility is working hours is the main thing, which I have. But knowing where the people are now who I mentored 10 years ago, I pretty much know I’d be much better off if I’d have stayed put. That said, I wasn’t happy so have no regrets.

Guess my main point would be to know where you’re going if you choose to do the BSc. I floated along hoping I’d work out what I wanted and that something would materialise and it didn’t because I had no plan.

mikey74
    Free Member

Guess my main point would be to know where you’re going if you choose to do the BSc. I floated along hoping I’d work out what I wanted and that something would materialise and it didn’t because I had no plan.

Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of. The trouble is my main interest is in volcanology, but there really isn’t a commercial role for that sort of thing, so I’d have to go the academic route, which has it’s own pitfalls and uncertainties.

johndoh
    Free Member

The trouble is my main interest is in volcanology

Wait for the inevitable major disaster and be called upon by the Government to help save the world. I have seen it happen many times on the tellybox and I am sure you could also sell the rights to your subsequent book.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s my back-up plan 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Stuck in a dead end work with wise, I’ve started volunteering with Scouts and the Forestry Commission to get some satisfaction. And reduced my expectations in terms of spending power and retirement.

mikey74
    Free Member

I must admit I do think of all the things I could get up to if I wasn’t studying, even though I actually enjoy studying.

mikey74
    Free Member

Sneaky bump!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I am in the middle of a Certificate of Higher Ed in Geology (part-time, evenings), which I love, and am considering continuing on to do the BSc: However, I think I have to be realistic when it comes to prospects with this and accept that I may be better off, at least financially, if I stay in my current industry where I have 15 years of experience.

Sounds like you are between a rock and a hired place

alexpalacefan

Bravo Charlie 🙂

APF

mikey74
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Continuing job dead-end dilemma’ is closed to new replies.