Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Continental tyre distorting after seating on rim.
  • Woodentop
    Free Member

Continental Mountain King 2, a good 12 month old, still in good nic, got a flat the other night and got it back on with a CO2 canister, didn’t seat properly but good enough to finish the ride, came to seat it properly tonight with the track pump, got it to 55 / 60 psi and it popped on, only now its got a wobble on like my wheel is bent !!
    Had the tyre back off but still the same when refitted.
    Wheel is nice and true (Bontrager Duster 29″ rim), tyres do seem a pain to seat with them being tubeless rims, usually use some tyre soap to help them on when fitting.
    Max PSI on tyre is 65, they’re just the cheapy Conti’s but wouldn’t expect this to happen.
    Common prob ?

Cheers

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ve had the same kinda distortion happen on a 26 MK as well. Mine occurred after a front end stack and thought I had taco’d the rim. Took the tyre off to find the rim was fine, reseated the tyre and the massive wobble returned. I’ve kept the tyre but haven’t thought until reading another thread today mentioning the carcass deforming that it might be an issue with the tyre. It was brand new too.

Maybe I’ll return it for warranty?

votchy
    Free Member

The same has happened with my Rubber Queens, returned one and had warranty replacement, since that both have developed the same thing but are now 12 months old of light useage, wont be buying continental again now as I think this is really poor and a google search shows it it not uncommon. Mine were the tubeless black chilli variants so almost £50 an end.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Annoyingly, it does seem to be easy to do. I got my front wheel hung up in a big hole, burped a load of air from my 2.2 RQ and threw me OTB, tyre re-seated itself but on pumping it back up to proper pressure there was a huge wobble in it.

I’ve also had a couple of mates with similar, but less severe issues after casing jumps etc.

honourablegeorge

Seems to be a regular problem with Conti tyres. Trick is not to buy them

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Continental tyre distorting after seating on rim.’ is closed to new replies.