Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Continental speed kings – 1 week old and now useless?
  • DaveBro
    Free Member

bought a pair of 2.1 continental speed kings from JEjames 2 weeks ago, while checking the bike over after last weeks merida i have discovered one of the sidewalls is ripped – appx 10mm – i am surprised as i can not remember riding through anything that harsh, anyway i would appreciate feedback on the following; is this just tough, or is it worth going back to seller / continental? and / or, can you repair sidewalls – thanks Dave

james
    Free Member

One of mine (a 2.3″ one) did the same but the cut was about 40mm long going right across the height of the sidewall and into the tread area

You could try a big inner tube patch and do a good/careful job of patching it up on the inside?

cynic-al
    Free Member

stitch it or try a ust patch?

rob1984p
    Free Member

Your local agricultural shop will sell large thick patches singly for pence; if your in Devon or Somerset you may well be lucky and have a Mole Valley Farmers in your area.
    http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/

clubber
    Free Member

Just use some duck tape inside the tyre and keep an eye that it doesn’t get any worse.

DaveBro
    Free Member

ok – thanks for help

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

I gave up on conti’s as nearly every tyre I have had (about 4 different models) all failed at sidewalls, never happened to any other brands I have used.

RealMan
    Free Member

Had a new tyre on that ripped on both sides after 10 minutes into the first ride.

S*** Happens.

Had the same problem, conti uk replaced them, took a while though

vdubber67
    Free Member

Had two contis blow side walls whilst riding. Scared the bejeesus out of me both times. One was a mountain king, one a vertical I think.

taxi25
    Free Member

Try sending it /taking it back to JEJ.If the tyre is realy mint you might get lucky.My lbs changed a conti gatorskin road tyre that split on me.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve had Conti Speed Kings on the hardtail occasionally. They sure wear fast, but I’ve never had any sidewall splits.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Continental speed kings – 1 week old and now useless?’ is closed to new replies.