Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Conti X King
  • joespencer33
    Free Member

Morning All, Just wondering if anyone runs X kings on the front and if so how is it?
    I normally run Mountain King Front and X king back in summer but thought I might give X king both ends a go for mountain mayhem seeing as the course is pretty smooth. (weather permitting)
    Cheers

dave32
    Free Member

Had an X king come on the rear of a bike I bought in jan..There lethal in the slightest bit off wet, have just put it back on the rear of my work bike now for the ‘summer’ hopefully..bit I’d never run it up front unless it had been dry for weeks,I think things would get proper sketchy even in damp weather.

nickc

Ran 2.4 X-King pretty successfully on dry trails and man-made centres. Some of the cheap Conti’s are horrific, but the Tubeless version were pretty good tyres are round apart from slimy-slidey depths of winter.

jonba
    Free Member

I run the normal folding version front and rear on my hardtail – not the black chilli version.

I find them good. Predictable good grip in the dry and they have been good in the wet also. They are no where near as grippy as the mountain kings but for XC riding they offer very good balance of speed and grip for all but the driest or wettest conditions.

I also use them as my intermediate mud tyre for CX racing for which they work very well.

Grip is personal though. These days most of my offroad riding is CX and XC so a bit of predictable sliding is fine if the tyres are generally fast. Might not suit if you are used to 2.4″ tyres and huge amounts of grip.

oliverracing

yep, I run 2.2 racesport x-kings front and rear on my xc bike, plenty of grip and if you get the pressure right not to terrible in mid/light mud. Wouldn’t be my choice on a more knarr bike but for xc (including peak district and trail centres) they are great.

jairaj

I have a x-king in racesport flavour. I tried it front and back and works well for the type of tyre it is. Predictable and with enough side knobs to lean the bike in. It copes well in the wet although as the thread depth is low it won’t cope on anything too loamy or too muddy.

The only other summer tyre I have is a Schwalbe Rocket Ron which is a bit wider and has a bit more grip so I stick that on the front but if I had two X-kings I wouldn’t have a problem running it on the front.

The Racesport version is supposed to be tubeless ready but I found it to be very porous and needed a couple extra scoops of sealant over a few rides to make it fully air tight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Conti X King’ is closed to new replies.