Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Conti Speed King alternative?
  • enfht
    Free Member

It’s got to be 2.3″ and lightweight and not prone to punctures every single frickin time you ride

Thanks

Answer this without malice and I promise not to post another “What Tyre” question ! 😳

Paceman
    Free Member

2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralphs??

Schwalbe tyres come up to size unlike Conti Speedkings where the 2.3 is more like a 2.1.

z1ppy

UST version with Stans wheel milk (completed one ride without issue!) or a slime inner tube.

enfht
    Free Member

I’ve tried slime inner tubes (lite version) but they didnt seem to help

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No problems with my speedkings – been riding on them for weeks without a puncture. Put more air in them or ride with more finnesse?

glenp
    Free Member

I quite like the Mountain King Supersonics that I’ve got at the mo, and haven’t had many (or any, I think) flats with them, although I don’t catch many punctures anyway. I’ll go back to my favourite Specialized Adrenalines when these are spent though – such a sure-footed tyre and durable too. Adrenalines come up quite large.

enfht
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the Racing Ralphs along with a book called “Off-road Finnesse & How To Avoid Punctures” by JR Hartley… 🙂

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Speed Kings at last years Dyfi, Brecon Beast and Kona Mashup – only got one flat. That was at the mashup and it was my own fault for playing around with tyre pressure … that was all on a hardtail too.

enfht
    Free Member

I ran a pair of them last summer but I’d forgotten how puncture prone they are. Thorns seem to be the achilles heal with the Speed Kings imo. The protection version didn’t fair any better and I used the slime tubes too. Maybe I’m heavier than the optimum weight for these tyres? How much of a fat bastard are you TJ?! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Me – 12 stone and distinctly jey – if its thorns then there ain’t a lot you can do – a light tyre is always going to be at risk from them.

I did manage bits of GT black on them yesterday – 35 psi front and 40 rear so as not to pinch flat

enfht
    Free Member

Just trying to understand how you “avoid” puncturing them TJ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Enfit – no thorns around where I ride. I don’t pinch flat ( jey / riding with finesse – take your pick) Higher pressures than many.

I assumed from your first post that it was pinch flats you are getting. If its thorn punctures and the tyres with a kevlar belt don’t work then tubeless may be the way to go

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Conti Speed King alternative?’ is closed to new replies.