Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Conti Rubber Queen 'Race Sport' Black Chilli UST – any good?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Im in the business for a pair of new tyres.
    Thought i’d try the Rubber Queens due to many hot recommends on STW.
    Anyone tried the Rubber Queen ‘Race Sport’ Black Chilli UST tyres?
    They are a bit lighter than the Rubber Queen Black Chilli UST tyre.
    Any thoughts?

old_mtber
    Free Member

Not tried this particular flavour; but the standard RQ BC is pretty light in its own right.
    Personally I think they are a bit on the expensive side but worth it for the traction in all conditions.
    I use the 2.2 on my Five which is just right – a full 2.2 width and plenty of volume compared with others. The 2.4 is huge and may cause clearance issues front and rear (esp with a RS fork).
    If you are a more aggressive rider you could try a RQ 2.2 on the rear and a Baron 2.3 on the front.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

BC Rubber Queens are great grippy tyres generally. IME though, the front has a tendancy to let go VERY suddenly when leaned over at high speed or on very tight switchbacks.

I’ve been dumped out a few times on switchbacks and had a couple of scary high speed moments. Anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

No experience of the Race Sport Zelak, sorry for the highjack.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

you could try a Baron 2.3 on the front

bearing in mind that the baron 2.3 is skinnier than a RQ 2.2

Garry_Lager

Anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

I’ve had one or two crashes on them of the unexpected kind, at least not obv down to rider ineptitude. I thought it might be connected to the 2.4 being too big for the 819 rim and squirming around.

They’re great tyres but a lot of money. I love them but hard to justify the expense in the face of the competition imo.

MSP

I have used race sport mountain kings and x-kings, and find the walls for too lightweight for general use, they really are an xc raceday tyre. They have too be pumped up quite hard keep the tyres shape. I am surprised they have made a rubber queen on that carcase I don’t think it is a good match.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks folks.
    Evillittlegoat you have got me a bit spooked now though. I thought the RQs were very predictable.
    Hmmmmmmmm maybe i should look at the new High Roller 2s TR instead.
    I’m using HR 1 UST at the moment and i know where i am with them!

honourablegeorge

Where do you see UST RaceSports?

I’ve been waiting for the UST Barons since last summer. Might have them for this winter….

Stevelol
    Free Member

Just to add my 2p, I’ve used rubber queens on my flows (BC UST 2.4 front, 2.2 rear) for a couple of years now (apart from when it’s properly muddy which is when I put Mud Xs on) and they’re extremely confidence inspiring, I’ve never had the front feel like it’s going to wash out and I think I’ve used it in most conditions by now. I’m quite careful with pressures though and generally never run the front higher than 28psi.

The front is very large and does feel a little squirmy at slower speeds (especially when rolling around and weighting it) so due to this and the cost I’d prefer to go back to Hans Dampfs when they’re toast.

Northwind

M1llh0use – Member

bearing in mind that the baron 2.3 is skinnier than a RQ 2.2

Mine wasn’t- it’s a wee bit under the claimed 2.3 but it’s still slightly bigger than the (pretty much accurate) RQ2.2.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

They’re fantastic tyres apart from that issue. I love the massive volume and the compound. It doesnt feel like a squirming or rolling problem to me. After comparing with my friends Hans Dampfs and Spec Butchers yesterday I think the tread just doesnt wrap around the shoulders of the tyre far enough.

RQ

HD

Butcher

zelak999
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge – apologies I was looking on next day tyres and just realised they are not UST.

honourablegeorge

Damn. I thought they might have finally pulled their finger out with some new UST stuff

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My understanding is that the RS models are meant to be a lighter tubeless version.

When the RS moniker first came out there were quite a few issues over in Americaland (if you believe MTBR) – not sure what they’re like now.

I’ve set-up both UST and Protection Contis tubeless – the UST were easy (as you’d hope) and the Protections were a nightmare.

The Black Chilli compound is awesome tho.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

On a sidenote, I have some 2.2 UST RQs (non Black Chilli) you’d be welcome to for a few squids – I’m not using them now.

MSP

Both the protection and race sport are tubeless ready. protection give a fairly decent weight saving over the proper UST versions, but RS are very lightweight to much for normal use IMO.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve been dumped out a few times on switchbacks and had a couple of scary high speed moments. Anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

It’s not you, it’s RQ’s, they’re rubbish on the front (IMHO)! Why anyone would design a tyre with a zigzag tread on the outer edges is beyond me! At least the Butcher and HD tyres have continuous knobs on the edges…I prefer Minions myself though.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

I was always a Minion fan too d45yth. I think they’re a bit behind the times in the weight/volume ratio these days. Butcher Control seems to be bigger, lighter and as grippy as a 60a if not the SuperTacky (ST is a heavy lump though).

EDIT – Glad to hear the RQ issue isnt just my imagination!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Conti Rubber Queen 'Race Sport' Black Chilli UST – any good?’ is closed to new replies.