• This topic has 31 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by gamo.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Conti Rubber Queen 2.2″ UST – Black Chilli??
  • heihei

Just got some from Wiggle and no mention of Black Chilli on the box, and looking at Conti’s website suggests it doesn’t. Just wondering if anyone knows for definite before I give them a go or send them back….

nickc

The Mountain Kings 2.2 that I looked at had a Black Chilli logo on the box, presumably the Rubber Queens would as well.

13thfloormonk

Don’t think so, i got a 2.2″ on the basis of how good my 2.4″ was, and it definitely doesn’t seem as sticky or soft. A little disappointed given how much the bloody thing cost. 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

Does it say “Handmade in Germany” on the sidewall?

I may be wrong, but I think the German-made ones get the Black Chili compound and the Taiwan tyres get the regular one.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have just ordered a set form Petra Cycles. They should arrive Monday with black chilli! I’ll let you know.

househusband

I’ve got the 2.2″ UST Rubber Queens and they are NOT BC compound – confirms this in the Conti PDF brochure you can download, and I also emailed the UK importers about this. As above, they’re not made in Germany. Still a very good compound, though.

Which bike for? Clearance will be tight at the rear on the ML, and riding in muddy woodland will soon clog the rear brace up. Running a RQ at the front and Geax Saguaro at the rear.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I asked bike24 again about the 2.2. It appears that both the 2.2 and 2.4 UST’s will be offered with the sticky compound (2.4 chilli available now obviously). Here is the reply I got today.

We thank you for your request at Bike24. Only the tubeless version of Rubber Queen 2.2 shines with the allround BlackChili compound.

Best Regards,
    Mario Richter
    Bike24 – Service Team Bike24 GmbHEnderstraße 9401277 Dresden

Joxster
    Free Member

The 2.2’s DON’T contain the Black Chilli compound, I have very close contact with Conti and help out with testing of all the range. It is in the pipe line but not until 2010/2011.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Mine have been shipped. I’ll know on Monday whether they really have black chilli or not. 😕

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So Joxster, as part of your product testing – what do you think of the RQ 2.4? Where do you test and what conditions?

Joxster
    Free Member

I ride them in all conditions, they weren’t great in snow. I’ve used them in Afan, Cwm Carn, Glentress, Inners, Drumlanrig, Lagan, Fort Bill, Mabie, Dalbeatie, the Quantocks (or mendids, the closer to Bristol) and the Ridgeway.

Grip – I found them to be great, I can lay the bike over just that little bit more on the corners. Not noticed any washout or drift when I’m put down the gas

Feel – Not something you need to worry about at 2.4, heavy on the fire road climbs

Wear – Has been good so far, I normally get 10-12 rides out of a tyre, I’ve been getting 20

Fitting – No problems so far, I can get them on and off without too much swearing

Confidence – They are BIG, so give you a bit more confidence

Would I buy a set, maybe not the 2.4 for XC and I’m not sure it’s cut out as a DH tyre. In the winter and wet conditions it sticks to almost everything (snow and ice excluded)

heihei

As I thought then – not BC and therefore Wiggle’s website description frankly a lie. My suspisions were arounsed when there was no mention on the box – given the hoo-hah Conti are making, I’m sure they’d have put a logo wherever possible if they had BC in them!
    I’ve a set of 2.4″ Mountain Kings which are OK, but not as good as 2.25″ Nobby Nics, so was keen to try one of the tyres with BC, but want UST, and the 2.4″ Rubber Queens would be too big.
    Given the cost, I think I’ll ship them back to Wiggle (and argue trades descritpions if they get arsey) and ship some more NN’s in from Bike24 / Actionsports.
    Househusband – not for the ML – that’s currently running Nobby Nics front Racing Ralphs rear for dry weather duties.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

How do you find the 2.4 Kings heihei? I really struggled when it got damp in the alps, no confidence on the front.

heihei

Only ridden with them in the dry and think they’re pretty good. As mentioned above think something like the Nobby Nic nudges them, and is probably much better in the wet too.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I ordered some 2.2 ust’s and they arrived Monday. Advertised as having BC. No marking on the box or tyre and made in Taiwan. I contacted the shop who checked it out with who ever does Continental tyres in the UK, here is the reply –

Hi Philip,

Thank you for your e-mail and patience, we have now had this checked by the UK brand manager, he says that this is correct and the tyres are as described and contain Black Chilli, however if you are not happy with the product then you are eligible to send it back under the returns policy.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards

Peter

Petra Cycles

kamina
    Free Member

Any updates on this? Most UK shops seem to be listing 2.2 UST RQ's with the black chili sauce, but Continental still does not have such a product on their web page. I did notice a STW Eurobike article mentioning such a product exists…

But seems like everyone who ordered the product got the "old" model?

timmys

Has anyone ordered from here?:

http://velokit.co.uk/cart_productdetails.asp?PRODUCTID=3405

I ordered the 2.2 UST non-Black Chilli a few weeks ago and then happened to look back at the page a few days later and the 2.2 Black Chilli had appeared (apparently not UST though). The fact they added them and altered the text at the top of the page to "The Rubber Queen 2.2 fold is now available with Black Chili compound ala the popular 2.4 fold." gives me some confidence they are available – but who knows!

hugh_b
    Free Member

the ones listed on their site as black chilli are black chilli! They are one of the first shops to get the new ones in!

kamina
    Free Member

Argh, but I would really want the UST version… I guess it's not black chilli then (at least there).

pjt201
    Free Member

no idea about the black chili or not-ness of rubber queens, but does anyone else only get 10-12 rides out of a pair of tyres?!?!

Joxster – Member
    Wear – Has been good so far, I normally get 10-12 rides out of a tyre, I've been getting 20.

james-o
    Free Member

i'll back the fact the UST's are not black chilli, and tell you why..

CST make the UST's in the far east. Conti know that giving the formula of BC to CST to make them would mean their compound being copied sooner or later.

I use the USTs though as tbh, i think UST has more advantages than the BC compound. but add the 2 and the 2.2 woould be possibly the best trail tyre ever!

heihei

i'll back the fact the UST's are not black chilli

2.4" are BC

chakaping
    Free Member

This doesn't get any simpler, does it?

gingerflash

I have the ones from velokit. 2.2, not UST.

They are definitely Black Chilli. The rubber is as soft (maybe softer?) as that on my black chilli supersonic mountain kings. "Handmade in Germany" is printed large on the sidewalls.

scruff
    Free Member

Most 2.2 shop descriptions are just codged from manuf. decriptions so will state incorrectly they are BC.
    2.2 Tyres are not BC but they are bringing them out and may be available in Deutsch soon (or maybe now).

GaryLake
    Free Member

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20rubberqueen.shtml

Website confirms, 2.4 is Hot chilli, 2.2 is not…

Sim

Word from Cambrian, UK distributors…

They will only be Black Chilli if they have 0100229 on the box, the old code is 0100195 these aren’t Black Chilli.

We haven’t had any in the country to sell yet so I don’t know where Shops and websites are getting them from as we supply almost all the of them through our wholesalers.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/

heihei

Sim – did they say when for the 2.2"?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Ive got a 2.4 ust black chilli on the front and a 2.2 ust on the rear.

On the site i bought the 2.2 it claimed they were the black chilli, but when they arrived it had no marking on box or tyre and there not made in germany. They feel different to the front 2.4 so im pretty sure the shop is false advertising and there not black chilli.

Conti are due to produce a 2.2 black chilli, they were on display at eurobike, i guess there just not out yet as what sim has said above.

chakaping
    Free Member

What's your opinion on the 2.4 Buzz?

chakaping
    Free Member

Anybody know if the 2.2 UST is available in BC yet?

gamo
    Free Member

Sure wmtb had a small bit recently saying they were
    coming out soon!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Conti Rubber Queen 2.2″ UST – Black Chilli??’ is closed to new replies.