Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Conti Mountain King tyres
  • swoosh
    Free Member

firstly let me appologise for the fact that this is a tyre thread.

right then, has anyone tried these and if so, how do you rate them? I currently have a set of Nobby Nics 2.2 and High Rollers 2.1. are these tyres anything like either of these as i have been happy with both but feel the nobbys are too expensive and the high rollers are a little unpredictable in the mud around nottingham but ok at trail centres like cyb and afan and usually ok in the peak district and lake districts.

any pointers would be good ta

snakebite
    Free Member

sidewalls too thin, loads of ours just split….

poppa
    Free Member

So you want something not too expensive that doesn’t perform too badly in mud (but isn’t a mud tyre) then? About 2.1-2.2″ in size?

twang
    Free Member

Cack! I mean superb… got some for sale, interested?…..DOH!!
    email in profile 😳

jimw
    Free Member

from what has been posted before, you either love ’em or hate ’em. I hate ’em.

collie
    Free Member

I run 2.4 MKs ‘ghetto’ and have been very pleased with them in all conditions in the Peaks, Welsh trail centres and in dryish conditions on local woodsy singletrack.
    They don’t perform well in wet mud but then they are a large volume tyre with fairly small knobs.
    As for punctures, I had a few pinch flats before I ran them tubeless and none since.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Moved from using Nics to Mountain King Protection run tubeless on Stans rims, very happy with them. In use they share a lot of the good points of Nics, but withe the Protection version I haven’t had any cut sidewalls, and the tread hasn’t cut up either. WEar rates not bad, considering it’s a fairsly soft compound.

hug
    Free Member

I’m running the UST version on the back and the supersonic on the front (with Stan’s tyre solution)the back end is a bit inclined to wander on the essex slurry but the front’s been great even in these monsoon conditions.
    Not even a puncture during a weekend in Affan carrying a lardy git such as I (14 st)

dobo
    Free Member

i wouldnt touch them without the black chili compound, think the supersonic version uses it.

theboatman
    Free Member

Pinch flat ‘mare ime, but never tried them tubeless 🙁

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Love my MK Pros in 2.4 guise. Been running them for a year now and they have performed well in most conditions (Dark Peak, Welsh and Scottish centers, Dalby). Would have to agree with collie and dobo though, not too good in the wet mud (although they’re predictable and you know they’re going to slide) and black chilli compound is a must. Both Pro’ and ‘sonic versions have this.
    Although I do fancy a change of tyre soon and I’m considering buying Nobby Nics. Just worried they wont perform as good as the MKs. Are they light and fast rolling?

BlobOnAStick

2.2 folding are crap on the front wheel in mud. Otherwise fine.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought a pair in the States, towed a Bob trailer with them on. Awesome grip with big volume 2.4. I was really suprised at how soft the compound is. The rear was nearly worn out after ten days, 500 miles.

knott4me
    Free Member

i run the mk 2.4s & they are fantastic. had the conti vertical before which where awfull but these are exellent.

i have heard issues with sidewalls but never witnessed it but im 9st 10 so not worried about that.

they also come up short in width compared to other makes but a 2.4 from one manufacturer differs to another so they are exellent if you have tyre clearance issues but like that burlier tyre.

they are great in wet/dry/muddy conditions highly reccomended.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

my 2.2 were proper shite – rubbish in all but the dryest weather, with p1ss weak sidewalls

tomlevell

Very good.
    2.4 black chilli on the front and the basic 2.4 at the back. I only bought the expensive one as noone locally had any cheap ones left.

Dirt/root/mud they have been predictable and grippy so far (400miles) and ran between 20 and 30 psi with no pinch punctures.
    The mud performance (slippy sloppy type) has been the best thing about them as I’m normally on full mud tyres at this point in the year.
    I’ve not ridden them much in rocky environments

The-Badger
    Free Member

I’ve been using the 2.2 UST tubeless versions – so far i’ve been pretty impressed – run soft-ish the grip is good in all cases, they clear mud well and roll fast. Continental lie about sizes though 2.2 is closer to 2 or 2.1″. I would like to try the 2.4″ – knobs look a bit larger and the air chamber is better.
    I’ve also used the Supersonic speed kings on my hardtail – very light and fast with good enough grip – but not really suitable for trail riding in the peaks (but then i guess they are not meant to be)

wormhole

came as standard on my orange 5, back one lasted the first ride when i split the side wall and it was goosed!! still got the other one on the front and found that to be fine up around the surrey hills area.

Richyb
    Free Member

Had normal 2.4’s and Black Chilli 2.2’s. Both are fast rolling although I don’t think i’d have normal ones, like lots of conti tyres the compound is too hard so they’re not grippy enough. Also had one explode on me recently which suggest the walls aren’t think enough. The black chilli ones have much better grip and supposedly roll faster (although I haven’t noticed any difference speed wise). I’d get some 2.4’s in the black chilli.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Conti Mountain King tyres’ is closed to new replies.