Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Conti MK2 -the verdict
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Conti MK2 -the verdict 

Not entirely scientific but I have been mixing and matching tyres recently and think I can draw some conclusions. Bear in mind I hated old MKs with their irregular edges and like Maxis HRs for the opposite reason. 

Anyway, I needed to take the excellent WTB semi slicks off the hard tail due to lack of climbing grip in the squidge. I bought two 2.4″  plastic MK2s for £15 each. I immediately liked the way they ran at low pressures without pinching, plus the nice edges, and the big spaces between knobs giving them room to dig and shed mud. But I had noticed worrying low sheer grip, being able to easily lock my front wheel on the wet brick-tiled surface of my street. I thought nothing of it until a wipeout at Brecfa on Saturday when I messed up and the front tyre slid sideways off a rock. So I picked up a black chilli variant and put it on the front. Trying the same lock up experiment on the street was interesting. No matter how hard I braked it would not skid. 

So it seems black chilli isn’t just a marketing gimmick it does actually grip. 

Northwind

It’s a combination of 2 things…

1) Black chili is good
    2) Standard contis are mostly terrible

So comparing 1 with 2 always flatters. But some of the new contis really are bang on.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I love the look of barons but (very light) friends have punctures the be-jesus out of theirs. Seems really low volume too.
    I love my 2.5 muddy mary at 16psi as an all-rounder it’s like another 10mm travel!

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve never noticed the difference. I have the lighter more expensive ones on my fs and the cheap ones on my ss. Do like the tyres in general though. Bit draggy for proper racing but good for everything else.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Conti MK2 -the verdict’ is closed to new replies.