Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Contaminated break pads – is there a cure?
  • dannybgoode

Good morrow all

I seem to have badly contaminated my brake pads (XT Ice-techs) with oil somehow.

If there any way to uncontaminate them? One tip I’ve had is to sand them then soak in meths and set fire – burn the contamination off.

Any others?

Cheers

Danny B

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bung them in the oven or run a blow torch over them. This may work, or it may just bugger the pads.
    Make sure you clean your rotor carefully as well.
    Worst case scenario is you have to bin the pads. Unless you ride in the alps then the finned pads are probably unnecessary in most cases.

Trimix
    Free Member

No, just buy some replacement ones from Superstar – they are so cheap its not worth messing about.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vertebratetom

Bung them in the oven or run a blow torch over them. This may work, or it may just bugger the pads.

+1

I’ve saved lightly contaminated ones by holding them over a gas hob. Dunno about properly doused ones though.

thepurist

I’ve (partially) resurrected some using the oven trick – needs to be properly hot though, and do it when Mrs Goode isn’t going to be about. Never really seemed to have the same bite again though, but that may have been down to my own suspicion of them.

These days I’d just chuck in another set of Superstars though – more reliable fix, less faff. As above, ‘finned pads’ are IMO a marketing man’s idea rather than a necessity.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve saved lightly contaminated ones by holding them over a gas hob.

This, for some minutes per pad. Worth a go but wait until the Mrs is out. And hold them by the stalks with insulated handle pliers. And don’t burn yourself by handling them afterwards.

cp

I managed to get some gt85 on both ends of mine! green ‘scrithcer’ pad & fairy for a few mins. Rinse well. Then oven at 200-odd degrees – I probably had them in for 20 mins or so.

Not quite pre contamination levels of stoppage, but my god, they are lasting a long time!

dannybgoode

Thanks all – I’ve sanded them, soaked them in meths, set fire to them and baked them in the oven for 30 mins gas mark 9.

In case that doesn’t work I’ve got some Uberbike Race Matrix replacements on order and can borrow a set off my friend for tomorrows ride.

Cheers

Danny B

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Heres two methods I guarantee work.

1) Liberally pour mud all over the pads/disc and ride the bike. Rinse off with water and repeat many times.

2) Oven cleaner (my muscle is best ime). Apply, rinse off etc etc.

I’ve used both of these methods multiple times now and they always work. Number 2 is more for discs than pads but does work on both.

Sheffield
    Free Member

Light sandpaper worked a treat.

Phil

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ain’t this a frustrating problem. You get everything back together, head off for a ride to find no braking power at all and the most hateful squeal.

I had a shocking run of contaminating my rear brake pads, like 3 times in about 3 months somehow. Big fail on my part. Each time I tried all the internet cures but each time ended up with a new pair of pads 😳 They work for some people but I had no success at all

I’m meticulous now, and whenever I’ve finished cleaning my bike properly I always clean my rotors with isopropylalcohol before I spin the wheels or apply the brakes

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I’ve just lightly sanded my pads and banged them in the oven for an hr,will try them out tomorrow … If it hasn’t worked ill bin and start again

honourablegeorge

My carelessness with Fork Juice does it a lot. Brake cleaner, then sanding and ovening does the trick

richmtb

The mud trick works very well if they aren’t badly contaminated.

Sanding and oven if this fails, followed by bin them and replace

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had a shocking run of contaminating my rear brake pads, like 3 times in about 3 months somehow

Right. One possible cause that’s affected me is over-lubing the chain, or at least not carefully wiping all excess oil from the chain before riding. Once tiny speck of oil flicking onto the disc is enough.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ride to the top of a big hill then drag them down untill they’re seriosuly hot. You’ll easily get 400-600C, well over what an oven will do, and enough to vapourise bitumen let alone a bit of oil.

Added bonus, you’ll be a bit fitter too.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Not if they are contaminated. As there is no friction to build up the heat to burn it off.

Kryton57

Wee on them. Yes really, or Coke (the drink not the powder).

brassneck

Did mine due to an oil leak at the banjo, common on XT apparently.

tried boiling them, burning them, filing them ended up just buying some uberbike ones and replacing, it really wasn’t worth the bother and the nagging doubt.

stu1972
    Free Member

Have rejuvenated them many a time with a butane torch. Problem is eventually the pad will just fall of the backing plate. The extreme heat obviously effects the resin bond

dannybgoode

Oh god I’ve just noticed my spelling of ‘Break’ in the title. I will go and do the honourable thing and kill me and my family.

Surprised no one picked up on it TBH.

Thanks all for your advice – I sanded them, burned them, baked them, sanded them, sprayed them with brake cleaner, burned and baked them again and went for a ride.

They were certainly better (i.e it actually depreciated my speed by a discernible amount) but wasn’t perfect.

No have Uberbike Race Matrix fitted front and rear and am happy I won’t die if I need to stop quickly. I’ll keep the others as spares…

Cheers

Danny B

globalti
    Free Member

Stick them in the dishwasher, nothing is hotter or more caustic. They will come out spotless.

dannybgoode

Don’t have a dishwasher. Well there is Mrs Danny but I’m not sure if I stuck them ‘in’ her she would appreciate the comment because ‘nothing is hotter and more caustic’.

Fairly descriptive of her mood sometimes though and I wouldn’t be so uncouth as to mention or draw parallels with her lady parts…

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Contaminated break pads – is there a cure?’ is closed to new replies.