• This topic has 253 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 254 total)
  • Contador suspended 2 years
  • mogrim

Oops. Seems he’s been found guilty, 2 years no racing and stripped of his title.

njee20
    Free Member

So he has.

Story for those interested.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Still, looking on the positive side, he can eat as much steak and chips as he wants for 2 years 🙂

dawson

Took long enough.

mogrim

Seems a fair punishment, although I’d have been happier if they had found him innocent: the Tour is better with him than without.

LoCo
    Free Member

is anyone else getting an advert for steak in the top bar of the linked page? sorry that’s cracked me up.
    Is it actually possible to get that much into your system by eating tainted meat?!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Barne Riis certainly knows how to pick them

soobalias
    Free Member

the Tour is better with him than without

erm, care to explain?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

He’ll probably appeal though won’t he? According to road.cc the CAS has admitted there’s no actual proof of doping?

boxfish
    Free Member

the Tour is better with him than without

No. Cycling is better off without him if he is a cheat.

Topov
    Free Member

Seems a fair punishment, although I’d have been happier if they had found him innocent: the Tour is better with him than without.

Agreed, I’ll miss the battles between him and the other climbers, it’s a real shame.

psling
    Free Member

So, the 2 year ban ends on August 5th this year 🙄 OK, so all results since July 2010 are forfeited.

woody2000

The way I read it, it’s “back dated”, so he’s not banned 2 years from now, but rather loses all the titles he’s won in the last 2 years. Or am I reading it wrong?

redfordrider
    Free Member

Back dated. He can ride this year’s Vuelta.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Where is Don Simon 🙂

I am glad the cheat got his just desserts – stripped of all wins since as well. Should be a longer ban IMO as he continued to race while under investigation and cheated others of places especially the giro win.

Its a good day for cycling that this cheat has been punished

He can only appeal on procedural matters not on findings.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Andy Schleck is now a T’dF winner. A sad way to win the yellow jersey.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

So his ban means that he loses his placing in races since the positive but ends on 5th August this year. Leaving him free to race the Vuelta.

He’ll claim innocence and unfairness on the part of WADA, CAS, UCI. Play the scapegoat and come back more popular than ever (at least in Spain) after a full 5 month layoff.

The one thing that has become clear during this case is that the system is in desperate need of an overhaul.

rusty90
    Free Member

A 2 year ban, backdated, er, 2 years. He can ride the Vuelta this year but not the Giro or the TdF.
    Andy Schleck is now the winner of the 2010 TdF.

mogrim

No. Cycling is better off without him if he is a cheat.

Disagree – professional cycling is part of the entertainment business, and I want entertaining…

wwaswas

UCI have left the length of the ban blank on their official press release 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member

He’ll probably appeal though won’t he? According to road.cc the CAS has admitted there’s no actual proof of doping?

doesn’t matter

He can only appeal on procedural issues not finding

It upholds strict liability – fail a test get a ban.

ransos
    Free Member

Disagree – professional cycling is part of the entertainment business, and I want entertaining…

So do I, but not by cheats.

mogrim

According to road.cc the CAS has admitted there’s no actual proof of doping?

Do they actually need “proof”? I’m assuming by that they’re referring to smoking syringes and the like, right? Surely the trace of the drug found in his blood is enough?

Worst part of the whole thing is Schleck getting the title 🙁

warton
    Free Member

I totally agree he should be banned, but it’s a sad day when he gets banned and Armstrong walks away a free man. Money talks.

andyfla
    Free Member

he should have lost all the titles and be banned from his last competitive ride for 2 years – at the moment he is effectively still advertising himself to sponsors, etc.

Apart from the fact we now know he is a drug addled cheat – as if we didn’t before, will this really affect him ?

andyfla
    Free Member

I totally agree he should be banned, but it’s a sad day when he gets banned and Armstrong walks away a free man. Money talks.

Apart from the fact he failed a drug test and Armstrong didn’t ? ( I agree that LA was prob just as bad though

vinnyeh

That’s a lot of editing of wikipedia to do- all those race results, all those time differences to be recalculated. 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

road cycling is as farcical (sp?) as football IMO…..

shlecks now won the TDF 2010, does this mean he will get the prize money for winning too? also havent the schlecks also been done for cheating before?!?! its not really a great outcome either way…

i cant imagine how/why one man decides to cheat and the rest of the TDF line up dont, surely most of the riders are doing it to some extent, riding there luck and trying to get away with it?

woody2000

What happens to bets paid out on Contador winning, and those who bet on Shrek to win? I’m guessing nowt?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What kind of 2 year ban is it when he’ll be back in August this year.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worst part of the whole thing is Schleck getting the title

^^This^^

After their awful whining about having to go down a hill last year, I really didn’t want to see either of them win anything.

atlaz
    Free Member

shlecks now won the TDF 2010, does this mean he will get the prize money for winning too? also havent the schlecks also been done for cheating before?!?! i

I’d imagine that Andy will get the money yes. Frank had paid Fuentes and admitted as much but was cleared of doping by the Luxembourg federation. Read into that what you want but no ban and it’s not “The Schlecks” it’s Frank.

I don’t think anyone has said Andy is doping. Whether people like him or not, the implication is he’s clean.

jota180
    Free Member

What happens to bets paid out on Contador winning, and those who bet on Shrek to win? I’m guessing nowt?

Not entirely sure but I would suspect first past the post on sports betting
    Gets too complicated otherwise

Paddy Power may take some free advertising and pay out again though

atlaz
    Free Member

I do find the Schleck hating a bit bizarre. In the 2010 tour Andy rode as well as anyone could have done, and for someone still young enough to wear the white jersey to be in contention like he was is a feat. Whether you like his personality, you can’t say he’s not deserving of the yellow.

donsimon
    Free Member

Where is Don Simon

I’m here, what’s your point TJ? I’ve always claimed that he had to be treated as innocent until proven guilty, he’s now been proven guilty and will hopefully take the ban on the chin. I have no issue with this.

rusty90
    Free Member

Google is doing wonders for my knowledge of foreign languages 🙂
    Contador suspendu deux ans
    Dos años de suspensión para Contador
    ?Contador wordt voor twee jaar geschorst
    Contador utstenges i to år
    ?Contador suspenso dois anos
    Contador für zwei Jahre gesperrt
    ?
    ?

Garry_Lager

Frank paid Fuentes 10 grand for ‘training advice’ didn’t he 🙂

Cadel Evans may be the only rider to win the Tour clean in its history, and even that’s wishful thinking.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course you did Don 🙄

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Wonder how Wiggins will get on in this years tour now. Hmmmm. Worth a punt?

warton
    Free Member

what a well researched, clever and witty response hora.

Edit: I forgot you were a Lance fan. I now understand the monosyllabic response.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 254 total)

The topic ‘Contador suspended 2 years’ is closed to new replies.