Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Contacts: Friston, Stanmer, steyning, Longmoor or South Downs National Park?
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Contacts for Friston, Stanmer, steyning, Longmoor, Whiteways, Wild park Or any where else in the South Downs national park?

Hi guys can anyone help me contact “the Head Guys” Trail builders, Ride groups, forest managers Etc..
    Of the above areas. PM me email or contact details please.

wwaswas

I think you might need to explain ‘why’ before people will get too open – a lot of the trails around the sdw are unofficial at best.

orangetoaster
    Free Member

Home & Events

^group currently working on improving MTB access in Sussex.

http://www.trf.org.uk

Trailriders Fellowship (Sussex Branch) Have been securing carriageway rights for the public in SDNP since 1970 and have amassed a significant amount of resource. Claims that were hit by NERC are still being pursued to secure Restricted Byway rights as many members are keen MTBers.

http://www.southdowns.gov.uk/get-involved/laf

Local Access forum for the national park.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I want contact with official groups please, and add land owners to the list. Can’t say why in public but will be speaking from my official roll in QECP Trail Collective. I will talk to unofficial groups if they want to maybe go official one day(Might be able to help a bit with that too) but that not the purpose of my enquiry.

rewski
    Free Member

Lots of reference to official, scary, what makes a group official? Serious question, assume it means more than having a logo and blog 😉

BTW: can you leave Friston out of it, there’s no riding there.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Sorry if im not being clear about who i want contact with.
    Any group or person that is work with FC/councils/Land owners. In a mtb context.
    Like my group: http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk/
    Or the Rogate DH club etc…
    I have all the contacts i need for the Hants side of South downs but not for sussex.

rewski
    Free Member

Try cuckmere cycles

wwaswas

you could trying contacting infoATbrightonmtbDOTorg – they have had discussions with ‘official’ bodies but not sure at what level.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Try cuckmere cycles

Thanks will send them a quick email. P.S thats the sort of thing im looking for 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member

you could trying contacting infoATbrightonmtbDOTorg – they have had discussions with ‘official’ bodies but not sure at what level.

I have already posted on there forum cheers. Will send an email too.

rewski
    Free Member

maybe try morvelo and brighton big dog

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re thinking about what I think you’re thinking about then I suspect you need to get in touch with the landowners, like Brighton council for Stanmer/WP or the national parks authority for that which is within the SDNP boundary.

wwaswas

Stanmer isn’t appropriate for anything more gravity orientated.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Brighton council for Stanmer/WP

Cool i didn’t know stanmer was council cheers, i will look in to that.

Stanmer isn’t appropriate for anything more gravity orientated.

Also good to know cheers, Is anywhere in Central/East sussex?
    If no then that fine don’t need any contacts. Thanks for the imput guys.

VanHalen

you could do a good enduro using stanmer and wild park trails.

the locals will hate you forever mind.

chiefgrooveguru

My thoughts exactly!

scottfitz
    Free Member

I don’t want to do any think in stanmer or wild park, Apart from go there for a ride one day 😉

wwaswas

My thoughts exactly!

which? the ‘locals hating him’ or the ‘good enduro’ 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Both!

wwaswas

I’ve started hating him already whilst it’s still a niche and before it gets all mainstream 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

🙁

VanHalen

just bear in mind that most of the trails that are any good dont really exist

timnwild

There’s steyning mtb – link

They’re the folks behind the legal trails in Steyning Woods – got signage up, landowner blessing, and they’re good trails too, given how short they are.

Try them – i’m not affiliated in any way, just a user of the trails.

wwaswas

I’ve stopped hating him now, that was so 5 minutes ago.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’ve stopped hating him now, that was so 5 minutes ago.

🙂

rewski
    Free Member

You could do something Eastbourne end, would still require a lot of climbing though, but there’s plenty of descents around Jevington, Folkington, Windover Hill, a lot unofficial links though, maybe try the guys in Evolution cycles.

I’ve was looking at this disused quarry in Shoreham by Sea? Could it be a potential Lee Quarry? Any locals had a cheeky look?

If you have clout then Ashdown Forest as potential, but I doubt they’d budge. Pippingford too XC?

wwaswas

spent a day driving my brother’s land rover around the chalk pit at Shoreham.

you’d have to *really* like slick chalk to want to ride it, tbh.

there’s a few steeper bits but mostly it’s 10-12ft tall ramps and flat areas.

rewski
    Free Member

spent a day driving my brother’s land rover around the chalk pit at Shoreham

cool, always wondered what it was like in there, spent far too long looking at SDW os maps.

orangetoaster
    Free Member
    wwaswas

there’s a local 4×4 club who have a monthly pay a tenner and have a play day there (or used to be – I see a local company have taken over – maybe they’re using it for landfill?).

best bit was watching a bloke trying to drive his Cherokee through a 4ft water ‘feature’ after seeing a snorkelled land rover do it. The engine made expensive noises and the whole thing stopped.

He had to pass his kids out through the sunroof as the windows were mostly under water.

wwaswas

I like this;

In a 2 month period in an E Sussex hospital there were over 30 hospital attendances due to injuries caused by dogs excluding bites. Most of these were due to owners being pulled over whilst walking the dog on the lead. this particularly affected elderly women and injuries with significant assosciated morbidity were sustained in some cases (hip fracture).

My own suspicion, having worked for many years in Accident and Emergency, is that dogs pose a far greater threat to children than the rare rogue cyclist.

scottfitz
    Free Member

You might want to take a look at this:

http://southdownsforum.ning.com/forum/topics/hazards-reckless-cyclists
    Yea saw that last week!

orangetoaster
    Free Member

There’s lot’s of incorrectly recorded carriageways north of Seaford. Most are Bridlepath or Footpath and should be Restricted Byway instead.

Unlike bridlepaths and footpaths it’s legally possible to have organised mountain bike competitions on Restricted Byways.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’ve was looking at this disused quarry in Shoreham by Sea? Could it be a potential Lee Quarry? Any locals had a cheeky look?

Bit like the Quarry near me but bigger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shrubmonkey/sets/72157623708872649/with/4526424709/

orangetoaster
    Free Member

Are you looking to use rights of way?

timbur
    Free Member

One of the head rangers in the National Park Eastern Area is a keen cyclist and a mate of mine.
    If you want to drop me an email with a rough idea of what your after I’ll dink it on to him if you like?
    Tim

timbur
    Free Member

Oh, he reads post on here as well but doesn’t post (yet)

scottfitz
    Free Member

Are you looking to use rights of way?

Email me and i will let you know. You don’t have an address is you profile

One of the head rangers in the National Park Eastern Area is a keen cyclist and a mate of mine.
    If you want to drop me an email with a rough idea of what your after I’ll dink it on to him if you like?
    Tim

YGM

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Contacts: Friston, Stanmer, steyning, Longmoor or South Downs National Park?’ is closed to new replies.