Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Conti sidewalls – how long before these let me down? (pic)
  • twang
    Free Member

Anyone ridden them until the sidewalls disintegrate?
    This one’s making me nervous..

steve73
    Free Member

That Baron is hardly worn (well apart from the sidewall)

stimpy
    Free Member

There’s no way that those sidewalls should be in that condition if those treads are anything to go by. They’re practically new! Looks like you’ve probably got something rubbing the sidewall as you ride. Those sidewalls don’t look like they’ll take much more of whatever you’ve been dishing out to them.

parkesie
    Free Member

Every conti tyre ive had has looked like this in a very short time only ver had one fall apart and go bang on me tho.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You must ride in a rocky area? Ride it til it blows, then replace.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What pressures?

twang
    Free Member

I’d rather ride it until just before it blows cheers nobeer 🙂
    Yes it’s plenty rocky but other tyres don’t wear anything like this, I’m still running a pair of 6 year old Nobby Nics with perfect fur-free sidewalls.
    About 10psi Al 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh I only ask as my tyres do that at low pressures.

iffoverload
    Free Member

how long is a pice of string, might last ages or fail tomorrow?

looks newish? maybe take it back to the shop and let them see if conti will replace it, and pick up a new one ?

BearBack
    Free Member

Lots of life left.
    2nd Cynic-al.. only happens at lower pressures for me too.

jonba
    Free Member

Ditto, low pressures and loads of flex in the side walls. Conti have silly high recommended pressures on some of their tyres if I remember 40-55psi?

twang
    Free Member

Well, I was going to say it’s not a pressure thing but if I’m supposed to be running 40-55psi it could be…tricky on Stans though, aren’t they rated up to about 40psi?
    Pretty sure its the rock scuffage doing it tbh, Isn’t it the threads that are holding the carcass together? I think I’ve lost a few… 😕

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

What are you doing – riding down a gutter lined with sandpaper?

I’ve got a RQ here that’s almost treadless, with lots of rocky riding, and the sidewalls look like new

Northwind

My Barons started showing sidewall wear and fray after just a couple of rides- they are genius tyres otherwise. I think they just have practically no rubber outside the sidewalls.

twang
    Free Member

Hopefully more rubber on the inside…Have you had any let go on you Northwind? These are Mk 2’s btw, harder compound I think

Northwind

Not let go but loose threads hanging off the carcass. Which being a cheapskate, I just cut off but that’s probably not recommended 🙂

(secretly I wanted to pull the thread to see if it’d unravel the entire tyre)

danielgroves
    Free Member

I had a conti tyre fail last summer in a similar way, once it had silt I emailed Continental some pictures and they sent me a new set in return for the old ones. New set of tyres for the £8 postage after putting a good 500 miles on them. Wasn’t going to complain.

duir
    Free Member

If only Continental would make decent sidewall and a 2.4 the Baron would be the perfect tyre for a lot of the year in the UK.

That said after 3/4 of a year 25psi front/30psi rear and the white thread in the sidewalls doesn’t look as bad as the picture above. Something wrong there.

banks
    Free Member

I’ve had a few conti tyres buckle or with shite sidewalls. All been warrantied with no issues 🙂

A slightly bigger baron would be the best!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too have two sets of true tubeless RQ black chilli on two of my bikes. I have to run 30 front 35 rear psi or I peel them away from rims but then with kit I am 19 stone. The most worn ones have half the tread left and no signs at all do sidewall degradation, to be honest 10 psi is below their design limits and I ain’t surprised they have ended up like they have. A car tyre would look the same. I am sure if you ran them at 20 psi they may last a bit longer!

Gribs

If only Continental would make decent sidewall and a 2.4 the Baron would be the perfect tyre for a lot of the year in the UK.

What you want is a UST one.

Northwind

UST Baron would be great but I think they’ve given up on it.

The 2.5 Der Baron works tubeless but it does weigh as much as 2 tyres. Sticks like spunk in the bath, drags like Barry Humphries.

ratherbeintobago

Asked this the other day, but should I be worried by pinpoint leaks of sealant through Conti sidewalls?

twang
    Free Member

I was just kidding when I said 10psi Suggsey, rears got about 30psi in. Tempted to try my luck with Conti warranty..
    Cheers 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

😆 I thought you were telling the truth as there have been a few people boasting of how low they go! Are they tubeless/UST models. If they are they are either rip off copies or defective. I had read somewhere there had been a load of copy conti tyres found their way into the uk market.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve had the exact same threads showing on all my conti protections, mk2s and xks. Seems de rigour to me.

gfletch
    Free Member

ive got mountain king black chilli’s, backs done the same thing, front ones fine, ??

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Conti sidewalls – how long before these let me down? (pic)’ is closed to new replies.