Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Constructive criticism required for new bicycle stability tool
  • bikelean1
    Free Member

Hi there
    Have you found yourself swearing because your bike has fallen over when leaned against your car or a wall? I have and became so exasperated when it once slipped over damaging my car and the bike itself that I decided to invent a gadget to help. I did just that and came up with “The Bikelean”. All the details are at http://www.bikelean.co.uk. This isn’t a sales technique. I’m just looking for advice from the cycling community (before I stick loads of money into something which won’t sell!) as to whether you girls and boys think it could be useful. We have already taken onboard the fast the design needs modifying (the “inner” part of the circle is being removed to enable the bike lean to be attached to all types and sizes of handlebar for both mountain and road bikes) and we also intend to incorporate a tyre lever as opposed to the compass. Please feel free to offer any words of wisdom – negative or positive – in order that we may produce something which could save everyone that sinking feeling, a damaged bike and a big dent in the pocket. Thanks very much, Gary

j_me
    Free Member

crispedwheel
    Free Member

In all honesty, this ‘problem’ has never crossed my mind before.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I read the home page twice to try and find the subtle joke… but failed.
    I think this guy is actually serious 😆

woody2000

Sorry, but I looked at your site and I still haven’t got a bloody clue what it is or what it does! Am I being dumb?

molgrips
    Free Member

What? Compass? Seriously?

philconsequence
    Free Member

elastic band +1

lightweight, cheap and if you’re lucky the postman might bring you the odd free one or leave one on your driveway!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

You need some pictures of it on the bike on the front page as well as the videos so people can quickly see what it does.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Great idea, I think your all missing the point with that picture of those rubber bands?

Surely the beauty of the bike lean is the fact it has a compass? Im sure many people check the weather before riding their bikes, and the weather reports generally give a windspeed and direction. The compass enables you to lean the bike up in a prime position that isnt directly agains the wind, which means its even less likely to fall over. If you use rubber bands, the chances of the wind blowing your bike over a greatly increased.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not for me I am afraid. Solution in search of a problem – but it might be attractive to the guys that like all the gadgets

ourmaninthenorth

I’ll tell you where I am….

…at my desk.

(Overengineered solution for an almost non-problem)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk[/video]

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Tyre lever instead of compass is a much better idea.

But judging from the responses hear I think you really need to market it as a tyre lever with an extra bit(the bike lean). Not as a bike lean with a tyre lever.

Is there anyway you could add in a 5mm allen key as well ? maybe sell it as multitool which can also be used as a bike lean.

stanley

Your having a laugh…….. right?

If not, pull out now and save your money.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whats wrong with putting the bike on the floor in the first place?

Plenty of wheel stands, BB stands on the market already, and no one uses those, do they?

Bike Lean have a Warehouse and Distribution Centre in Nottinghamshire and an Administration, Sales & Marketing office in Berkshire.

That sounds like a big operation to sell a little plastic gadget that nobody seems to want.

wwaswas

as above – picture of it on the bike so people get an idea of scale.

Compass is a waste of time – make the device smaller and drop it.

Home page is a waste of time – the Olympics and cycle to work might be ‘google freindly’ but they won’t help actually sell the product.

A removable kick-stand/bicycle pump thingy woudl give the same result and avoid the need to lean the bike on a wall?

Bregante

What? Compass? Seriously?

I agree. To be truely multifunctional. You need to add a bottle opener………..or a cigar lighter. Yes that’s it, a cigar trimmer and lighter. Then I’d buy two*

*maybe

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

From reading the web page alone I couldnt work out what it was supposed to do.

Then I wondered if it was some form of knucle duster. However 4 things sprung to my mind when I finally understood what it does.

0.5 Sh!t I’ve never worried about this problem, will have to now.
    1. Rubber band
    2. It doesnt actually stop the car from getting scratched.
    3. Whats wrong with the ground.
    4. You will never make money unless their are lots of gullable people out there.

oh 5. Whats the compass thing for ?

Its a bit like spending £100’s of pounds for a seat post that drops when you can just undo a leaver that does the same thing.

ocrider

Add a bottle opener and I’m sure that it will sell very well to hipsters looking for something to hang keys on the beltloops of their sister’s jeans.

Oh, change the name of it to something quirky/genitalia related.

5lab

when I’ve leaned my bike up against something, I always find I’m in need of something to get stones out of horses hooves. with a little thought could this be the perfect tool?

Twin
    Free Member

I would find it more useful if it incorporated nunchucks. Or a bowstaff. Then you could use it to hunt wolverine when not leaning your bike.

pedalhead
    Free Member

what, nobody’s mentioned the Range Rover Sport yet?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok, im interested. Can I have your projected sales for the next 3 years, your manufacturing price and your proposed RRP? How many to date have you actually sold? will you ever actually pay for the website setup from selling these? I seriously doubt it.

Oh and while you’re at it, have you ever heard of velcro straps or reusable zip ties?

Im sorry but it’s just over engineered, bulky, and probably more expensive than a free velcro strap.

toab
    Free Member

I think I need this a little less than Harry Hill needs a comb.

woody2000

change the name of it to something quirky/genitalia related.

Good idea – call it the MooseKnuckle 🙂

I still can’t get over the idea of a “warehouse and distribution centre in Nottinghamshire”.
    Does it look like this ?

jonathan
    Free Member

I LOVE the “Attempting to knock bicycle over once Bike-Lean is attached” video. It so nearly goes over and scratches the Range Rover Sport (damn!)
    http://bikelean.webs.com/videos.htm

And the “Administration, Sales & Marketing office in Berkshire” ?

fasthaggis

Is this a student project on a Product Design course ?

damo2576
    Free Member

Interesting, would I ever use such a thing, no, but I can see there may be a market.

I’d imagine if you could get to a price so it’s almost a novelty sale (say £3ish). If you can get cheaper then perhaps you could find volume as a magazine freebie.

From a design and design for manufacture point of view I doubt you could get down to very low costs to support above. I’d probably look at a much smaller design, composite and that you could rapid prototype initially before moving to tooling a blow/injection/whatever moulding.

HTH

molgrips
    Free Member

Its a bit like spending £100’s of pounds for a seat post that drops when you can just undo a leaver that does the same thing

Yeah, except in that case you actually have to stop and get off to change the saddle – with a gravity dropper, you don’t.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I reckon I could knock it over.

The photos of the contraption make it look like it’s massive, only looks smaller in the video (in which it looks like the car was most likely scratched).

I think you should design something like a portable bike stand made out of button mushrooms instead

damo2576
    Free Member

A removable kick-stand/bicycle pump thingy woudl give the same result and avoid the need to lean the bike on a wall?

A pump which doubles as a kick stand would be a cool idea.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh dear – FAIL 🙄 Nice try but I am ooooot!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Administration, Sales & Marketing office in Berkshire

I think I know who it is

aP
    Free Member

The nice picture of cyclisters on your home page is reversed.
    Do I understand that basically you wedge it round the brake lever and the bars? I don’t quite see how it adapts to working with lots of different manufacturer’s styles of brake lever?
    Doesn’t an old toe strap do the same job? (or an elastic band).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Forum Rules:

No Trade or business advertising – except bona fide retailers may respond to genuine enquiries from potential customers.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

buzz – yeah but this isnt a business is it 🙂

5lab

on a serious note, how does it cope with the fact bikers run different bite points on their brakes due to personal preferance? I run mine so close to the lever that with 2 fingers you can get the lever to touch the grip. Some of my mates run their levers so far out you need to be stretch armstrong to use them. This obviously wouldn’t work for both of us

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Constructive criticism required for new bicycle stability tool’ is closed to new replies.