Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Constantly changing my non race bike
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Had a few nice steel road bikes, lovely to look at but never cut the mustard.
    Had bargain Carbon, nice but flexi as hell.
    Even had Ti, but although everyone loved it to look at, it always felt a bit lifeless.
    The bike I remember having the best ‘rides’ on was my old Spesh Alez elite. So I’ve just bought a good old basic aluminium frame.
    All my race bikes (the road, the crosser and the MTB) are great, but I just race those.
    Hoping the humble alu job will hit the spot.

njee20
    Free Member

I hate my Allez!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Isn’t there a left field argument that there just may be more to determining the ride quality Other than the frame material?

scotroutes

What strange science is this of which you speak?

oliverracing

My opinion of my allez is stiff/harsh as hell, but really fun to ride as it climbs/sprints amazingly!

TiRed

Geometry, tube diameters, butting etc… all will affect ride quality. Material is less important but does tend to drive the tube diameter, so much that they become intrinsically linked.

I love my alloy TCR – it is stiff
    I love my steel fixed road bike – it is flexy
    I love my carbon Defy – it is a stiff but smooths out vibrations

They are all set up to have the same position, have largely similar geometry, similar tyres (and wheels are swapped between alloy and carbon), and differ in weight by no more than 2.6 kilos. The Defy is the “best” bike as it is faster and leaves me less fatigued. The alloy TCR is a fine race bike. The steel bike is a nice ride. I too have had a Ti Merlin. The Defy beats it on every single ride characteristic. The TCR does too!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Oldgit – What’s your road race bike? Can you not get a lower spec model or something in the same brand? Or find something else with similar geometry?

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s TCR Advanced SL. I could do what you suggest but I have all the parts now.
    I ended up buying one of the heavily reduced Ridley Icarus frames from CRC
    Hopefully it’ll be a half decent stiff riding workhorse. I have lots of Ultegra, 105, Deda kit and some new Open Pro CD handbuilts, hence just wanting a frame.
    My mate been trying to shift one of his stock alloy Defy’s onto me, but I would have ended up stripping it down and put my stuff on.

njee20
    Free Member

My opinion of my allez is stiff/harsh as hell, but really fun to ride as it climbs/sprints amazingly!

Mine’s as stiff as over cooked spaghetti, whilst still being really harsh. Not an enviable combination of qualities.

RustySpanner

Look at it as a hobby 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

oldgit’s next bike:

loddrik
    Free Member

You’re problem is that road bikes are shite and anyone riding then looks like a cock.

But I also suffer from constantly changing bikes that I’m happy with for no other reason than because it can be changed.

NormalMan

Which year Allez do you have njee20?

I have a 2010 version (basic 16 model, last year of curvy seat stays and in between roubaix and tarmac ht length iirc).
    It’s not been that bad. It got me road riding again and then served as a winter trainer / bad weather bike for a while.

Although it now has pretty much permanent residence on the turbo as my Tarmac Expert is the training bike / all rounder now.

monksie
    Free Member

Your problem is that Loddrick’s opinions are shite and you share a membership of a forum with the cock.

Not forgetting of course, the caveat 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

shermer75 you mock, but I’ll buy one of those one day, but geared. That’s a copy of the Paris Galibier that Condor make under licence.

njee20
    Free Member

Which year Allez do you have njee20?
    I have a 2010 version (basic 16 model, last year of curvy seat stays and in between roubaix and tarmac ht length iirc).
    It’s not been that bad. It got me road riding again and then served as a winter trainer / bad weather bike for a while.

2009. It’s not that bad really, but compared to my 2004 Madone it’s just horrible. Heavy too, which doesn’t help.

TiRed

Just get a used alloy TCR frame. Or even a new one from ebay for about £300. The geometry has not changed in many years.

oldgit
    Free Member

You know how there never is one when you’re looking.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve got an M/L alloy TCR frame sitting behind my tool box at work, 6 or so rides old. Bbought the wrong size….. Never bothered trying to sell it, make me an offer if you want.

Anyone care to give a quick comparison about the alloy vs carbon (advanced) TCR? Currently drooling!

TiRed

Mine is the previous rounder tubed TCR (with mounting hole for race number on the TT). I rode this back to back with a brand new out of the shop TCR Advanced SL0 with Dura Ace Di2. The carbon frame is a nicer smoother ride. It is not really noticeably more rigid. It is a LOT lighter though. And my TCR now has Ritchey monocoque carbon forks that saves about a pound.

I bought the Defy Advanced SL, as I thought the TCR really was too similar (identical geometry).

The same is true of the Cannondale CAAD10 vs. Super Six Evo. Good alloy frames are just that – good frames. The difference when compared to top end carbon is subtle at best.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Interesting. It’s a 2012 frame so pretty current, always knew it’s probably well up there in quality but carbon has that drool factor! Would love to lend a Propel/TCR for the weekend and compare ’em. I should really stop going into the bike shop and just staring at stuff….

oldgit
    Free Member

monkeyfudger that would have been too big anyway, but thanks.

shermer75
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    shermer75 you mock, but I’ll buy one of those one day, but geared. That’s a copy of the Paris Galibier that Condor make under licence.

That’s exactly what it is. Never seen one in the flesh, anyways been very curious about them…

jazid
    Free Member

bought the Defy Advanced SL, as I thought the TCR really was too similar (identical geometry).

Tired – I’m looking at the Defy adSL. I currently ride a 10yo alu. TCR and whilst I love it, find that 70+ miles starts to niggle my back.
    I tried the stock TCR adSL but found the vibrations through the forks and bars too much, as does my friend. Am I right to assume that the Defy front end is far plusher.

PiknMix
    Free Member

TiRed, any idea what year your frame is? I have the race number mount on mine but have no idea of how old it is.

Monkeyfudger what colour is your frame? How much were you looking for it (out of interest as mines the same size but a woefully dull grey)

Sorry for hijack

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I really don’t know, bare in mind it’s frame only. No fork. It’s this one,

Untitled by monkeyfcuker, on Flickr

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Constantly changing my non race bike’ is closed to new replies.