Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • considering 1×10 speed.. what's best way to do it?
  • renton
    Free Member

I’m considering ditching the 3×9 on my bike and going either 1×10 or 2 x10.

What’s the best way to go?

Riding the chilterns so nothing to demanding.

Is there a decent chain guide that doesn’t cost the earth?

Likewise for the bash guard and single front ring!!

Cheers

Steve

honourablegeorge

MRP AMG looks decent, and is cheap on EBay – top guide & bash combined

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Just by a 10speed downhill specific chainring and don’t bother with a chain guide, for the easiest way. Something like the KCNC ones or the Gusetts.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have the AMG guide coupled with an MRP bling ring and SRAM type 2 rear mech on 1x 10. Perfect set up so far. Bling ring is quite hard to get though and you need certain trivia tic/SRAM cranks to run one.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Ideally I want to keep my xt cranks and just change the ring.

How much weight can you potentially save converting to one chainring and are there any issues with chain line etc?

jim33
    Free Member

I use a really simple set-up and didn’t cost much at all.

All I use is a 32t chainring with a bbg bash guard either side of that holds the chain in place, it’s light and cost me about £20. Here is the link to the website

http://bbgbashguard.com/

Jim

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You are replacing the middle ring which is OK in all cogs at the back so there should be no chainline problems.

Shorten the chain as much as possible.

Ideally get a new clutched derailler.

Fit it a chain guide system.

I’ve been using a top-only guide on my 1×9 HT for the last year which works most of the time bit I still jam the chain in the device sometimes when the going is really fast and rough and the chain still slaps about noisly and pops off the bottom of the chainring all the time, as it does with the double/triple system.

I’m thinking about a top-bottom guide for the future for silent running.

You’ll get a worthwhile weight reduction, but the real benefit is simplicity of use IMO.

honourablegeorge

The Swedish Chef – Member

Just by a 10speed downhill specific chainring and don’t bother with a chain guide

Apart from your chain falling off, that’s perfect

renton
    Free Member

Any chain ring recommendations to have a look at?

jim33
    Free Member

Race face single ring, rental rings both strong but light weight

woody2000

jim33 – possible numpty question, when using the inner ring mounted bash does the 32T version cover a 32T ring in the middle position? If you see what I mean!

BearBack
    Free Member

My 1×10 set up on my Soul:
    Mrp podium ring
    Mrp 1x top guide
    Xt shadow plus
    Saint dual release shifter
    Xtr m970 cranks 32:11-36
    Gives me a silent chain slap free drivetrains!

br
    Free Member

Riding the chilterns so nothing to demanding.

But in another post you suggested that you were unfit to ride with others in the Chilterns…

You are going to save bu99er all weight going 1×10, and will also then have to avoid steep climbs, or walk.. – such as out of Wormsley Park towards Ibstone or Northend.

jamj1974

Single speed rear hub with 13t cog, rear mech to take up slack then a 13-42 ten speed chainset.

renton
    Free Member

Br good excuse to get fit then!!!

weeksy

I’ve goit a blue Superstar seat tube mount one you can have for a tenner

the_lecht_rocks

clutch rear mech.

hope integrated chainring / guide / retainer.

job done !

br
    Free Member

Br good excuse to get fit then!!!

Wrong way. Get fit and then prove it to yourself by going out and not using the granny. Only then is it worth 1×10.

There are any number of climbs (as in short, sharp, shocks) that only a serious fit rider will get up in the Chilterns using a 1×10.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Why not try the 1 x 10 option with a smaller chainring if you’re worried about 32/34 being too difficult renton? 28t or 30t available from MRP for SRAM cranks and maybe others offering 30t for Shimano.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

The Swedish Chef – Member

Just by a 10speed downhill specific chainring and don’t bother with a chain guide

Apart from your chain falling off, that’s perfect

Actually not with a Type2/clutch rear mech and the new XX1 style teeth on the KCNC rings.

Northwind

What’s the script with the KCNC rings? Can’t find anything online, other than that they claim their old DH ring will work fine without a guide- unlike every other DH ring.

the_lecht_rocks – Member

hope integrated chainring / guide / retainer.

job done !

They’re really pretty, but it’s a bloody expensive way of going about it, not to mention turning the bashring into a consumable (and high cost of changing ratios)

Chainring of your choice + MRP 1X guide + clutch mech- lighter, cheaper, just as effective, lower ongoing costs.

renton
    Free Member

The thing is I dont remember the last time i used the outer ring and I have very rarely used the granny ?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

See Clee Cycles description, (no connection)
    http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P11102/product

Northwind

That’s all i could find- but there’s nothing special there, it’s just a deep-cut chainring. Have you used one?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve got a 32, and am waiting for the 34 and 36 tooth so I can select the correct one for each race.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘considering 1×10 speed.. what's best way to do it?’ is closed to new replies.