Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Conservatory roof conversion
  • mau00149
    Free Member

Usual story, conservatory is too hot in summer, too cold in winter (even with CH radiator in it). Thinking about replacing the polycarb roof with a solid light weight tiled insulated roof. Anyone got any experiences? Any advice, things to look out for? Costs? Based in Inverness if that makes any difference. Basically wanting to make it a more usable room.

Other option and much more costly would be remove conservatory and build a proper extension but not sure that is the right route for us just now. May want to move at some point in the future so may not be worth the hassle…although i guess it could add value to the house if we were to sell…

Davesport

Double glazed roof in mine. The heat is OK during the summer, but without the wood burner would be unusable in the colder months.

Could you fit a stove ?

trout
    Free Member

folks next door have just done that replaced the triwall poly with what looks like slates with 4 inch of kingspan insulation
    but its not slates seems to be a sheet material of some sort

mau00149
    Free Member

Had thought about the stove option but would need a pretty long flue to get up and over the second story. Our house sits lower than the neighbors, wouldn’t want to be smoking them or ourselves out…

Had looked at getting one installed in the living room next to the conservatory (no existing chimney) but was going to be pretty pricy for what we were looking at…

totalshell

well i was sceptical of these conversions but i ve now personally experienced three in customers homes. all three were unusable as day rooms during autumn/ winter but having all three since xmas i have to say the transformation is marked.

two have had the glass in the roof removed and replaced with a sandwich of plasterboard/ insulation and composite roof tiles. it looks very good inside and out. these are now usable warm rooms in the worst of the weather.

the third was insulation sandwiched between plastic its appearance looks cheap but seems to work as well as the other.

the first solution is something id definately reccomend to a connie owner who gets no use from it oct/march

wrightyson
    Free Member

Roof Converters
    Quite a few companies about now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Conservatory roof conversion’ is closed to new replies.