Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Consenting Adults only – ride of the year
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Top ride today.

Up from Lochore Meadows, through Blairadam and the Cleish Hills, down to Kinross and the Loch Leven nature trail. The footpath was rutted with frozen footprints, so we tested the ice. Guesstimated to be about a foot thick. We’ve had sub -10C temps for nearly three weeks so reckoned it was safe to ride.

We rode 7 miles around the Loch. When we got to the far end an irate landowner said the Loch wasnt a right of way. Thinking we were kids he asked us where we had come from. ‘Kinross – 7 miles thataway’

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Bare hands! How tough frostbitten are you.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I had to take my gloves off as my hands were too warm. Nearly got a Tommy Sheridan tan with the glare off the snow.

kevin1911

right of way? Doesn’t the Outdoor Access Code apply to water, or land made of ice?

Although not sure if riding across a frozen loch can really be considered ‘responsible’ 😉 I’d be too concerned about having to get fished out by the emergency services and appearing on the national news as the token “look how daft these people were” segment.

Looks right good fun though!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Many rivers are still legally rights of way. I cant imagine why a frozen loch shouldn’t be. If we were in a boat, what would his position be? You can rent boats on the loch for fishing.

We were pretty careful with respect to the ice. We kept fairly close to the shore. We did worry when we saw a yellow Sea King fly past. Someone photographed us from the shore with a long lensed camera. I doubt we’ll we highlighted as irresponsible thrillseekers.

Murr
    Free Member

top ride peter glad you enjoyed it,a will avoid the ice as a was shitting maself wont be back on it again good pictures though. oh a still think we might see our photo in the courier next week that bloke took from the path.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is the areas around Loch Leven not exempted from the access rights on account of it being a nature reserve?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Consenting Adults only – ride of the year’ is closed to new replies.