Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Connecting Wii console to tinternet – should I shouldn't I?
  • snowslave

Just wondering, what's the pro's and cons of hooking it up to tinternet as a new Wii owner person?

GrahamS

Pros:
    Wii System Updates
    BBC iPlayer channel
    Wii Shop (for old console games)
    Multiplayer games with Wii owning friends

Cons:
    Erm… I dunno. bit of a faff maybe?

Jimbo
    Free Member

Online gaming, store to D/L games and software, system updates, Opera and BBC iPlayer etc, etc…

EDIT: Faff? Turn on, enter wireless key, go. Easy!

Pieface

Can you get C4oD through the Wii as well?

Drac

Cons:

You'd wish your bought a console.

GrahamS

Faff? Turn on, enter wireless key, go. Easy!

Well I was struggling for a "Con". I'm a little more locked down than that, so in my case I had to find the MAC address of the Wii, log into router to allow that MAC, assign it an IP address then type my loooong network key into the Wii. But yeah, still only 5 minutes work.

cove123

just watched Outnumbered on the iplayer of the wii, nice to watch something on the big screen not the pc.

as a new user what are wii points and how much are they going to cost me once the kids discover them?????

WTF
    Free Member

Wii points are £7 for a 1000.
    Good for the odd old Nintendo game.Sonic etc. but not really worth it.
    Internet browser cost also 500 points iirc.
    OK if you didn`t have any other internet access but again not worth it.
    Iplayer is good addition.
    But biggest downside of update is it kills the homebrew that some have to softmod the consoles so latest update is really Nintendo cracking down on piracy tbh.
    AFAIK it doesnt affect chipped versions.

polarisandy
    Free Member

worth it just for iplayer.

st

The internet browser is now free. Just discovered the iplayer which has been great as we don't have any way of recording programmes.

Can't see any security worries unless you start doing shopping and that.

clubber
    Free Member

My f1 game needed an update to actually be able to play it (or at least so it said) so on that basis, you really do need an Internet connection. Fwiw, I did have wireless problems with a new router. Fixed by I stalling the latest firmware on the router.

snowslave

Ta for this, much appreciated.

Is there any security concern in terms of kids and who they're playing games with etc?

clubber
    Free Member

No, at least all the games I have that can be played online are designed so you can't really give out any personal info other than your name I guess.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Have just connected wii to the net for the first time, following a previous thread on here. The kids bought it and wired it up, so didn't even realise you could connect until I saw previous thread and read instructions – duhhh.
    So…. How do you load up iplayer onto it?
    ta
    Q

carlos
    Free Member

Christowkid it's easy when you know how.
    Wii main menu, Shopping channel, start, sart shopping, Wii channels and click on BBC iplayer to download.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got a wii and got a wireless router how the heck do i connect it ? im poo with this sort of thing mind lol

carlos
    Free Member

Not to sure as the Mrs did it while I got the beers in, but I know she read out the wireless router code to me and I had to input it using the wii remote. Maybe this link will help http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-online/5820-official-wii-wireless-internet-connection-guide.html

Sorry I can't help more

firestarter
    Free Member

carlos i seem to be now working just on with system update many thanks for the pointer 😉

carlos
    Free Member

No worries

Christowkid
    Free Member

carlos:
    cheers mate. I'll try that…..
    when I can get the kids off the damn thing!
    Q

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Connecting Wii console to tinternet – should I shouldn't I?’ is closed to new replies.