Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Connecting to the Internet
  • SaxonRider

I am trying to work it so that if I want to connect to our home wireless network, both my PC laptop and my son’s needs to have the network key entered each time instead of being able to log on automatically.

Is this possible?

I have spent more than an hour looking through Control Panel at every seemingly relevant subject with no luck. The closest I have come is finding a way to get my computer to not log on automatically. When I do hit ‘Connect’ manually, though, it still remembers the network key, and logs on with no problem.

Is there any way of stopping the computer from remembering the key each time, shy of deleting the network from the list of possible networks just before shutting down every time?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back a step what are you trying to achieve? There may be a better way of doing it. Also what OS are you running?

SaxonRider

I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium, and I’m trying to make it so that I can work without logging on to STW all day!

In otherwords, my idea is to limit my internet use to my tablet, and only specific tasks on the PC. I want to limit the PC by having to ask my wife to enter the network key (she’s the only one who knows it) on those occasions that I have to work online, and otherwise make it so that the computer ‘forgets’ the key when it is shut down.

Does that make sense?

jon1973
    Free Member

If its Windows, you could just set up a user which has net access, but requires a password to log on. Then just don’t enable net access with the other users.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can set up a user with certain programmes resticted using parental controls in Win 7 so you can turn off the browser etc but leave updates etc running.

SaxonRider

I find the internet a bit like my eating. I can’t stop checking emails and visiting STW/the news/certain blogs/other forums, even when I have only checked them out minutes earlier.

I will get a hell of a lot more done if circumstances force me to be more deliberate about logging on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can also set up specific times that the user can log on to that account or one with internet – ie not usable between 9-5 or after 10pm etc. However the greatest problem with all of these things is that they can be got around by the user. So get your wife to set the passwords…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Connecting to the Internet’ is closed to new replies.