Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Confidence (on & off the bike)
  • loulouk
    Free Member

Of all the groups of people I know, I figured you lot could give me a good talking to.
    I've lost all my confidence on the bike. And it's affecting me off bike too which is ridiculous. I'm apologising for everything, convinced everyone dislikes me or I'm annoying everyone and I wasn't like this at all 2 weeks ago. I was fine. Then I had a shitty ride at Llandegla on my first red and it's just all gone wrong. I've gone from being the competent enthusiastic biker in my relationship to the idiot who gets parked on blue while OH goes on red and meh.
    So, has anyone got any words of wisdom? Apart from get out and ride? How come you lot are all so damn confident and self assured, where does it all come from? Am I the only person wondering what on earth I'm doing for 8 hrs a day?

grahamt1980

I think you will find the reason that most on here are confident and self assured is because they are safely hidden behind a computer screen.

Regarding your issues, find something that scares you a little (not dangerous but that psyches you out) and keep having a go at it. It worked for me anyway

Stoner
    Free Member

How come you lot are all so damn confident and self assured, where does it all come from

alcohol. Shitloads of alcohol
    👿

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Not sure I've got any words of wisdom, but I do know where you're coming from. I made the move to clipless recently and was getting on great (on easy-peasy stuff) until I got cocky and tried the Marin in North Wales. Total failure and cop-out on the bumpy single-track.

Yes, it knocks your confidence, but I think the essence is to say you tried (where others may not have bothered in the first place). The red at Llandegla has some tricky bits for me too, and yes, it is practice. Everyone's different and it's important to set your own goals by your own standards rather than comparing yourself to different people with a different (not necessarily better) skill-set.

Mintman
    Free Member

Sorry to hear you are feeling down like this but you really can't let one bad ride knock you too hard. Sure, it's annoying and frustrating but it was just a bad day in the office and probably nothing more. Could it have been nerves? Peer pressure (inadvertent or otherwise)?

Whatever it was is likely to be just a glitch, what makes the difference IMHO is how you respond. Get back to what you know, get comfortable again and when you feel ready start to tackle something new. I bounced off a trampoline and into a concrete wall when I was little. Best thing I did (when I was encouraged) was to get back on the trampoline and have another go. Don't let one bad day put you off, I suspect you'll live to regret it…

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

If in doubt, flat out…

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm confident in some things, so I have learned to choose my battles. I suppose I like to problem solve and work things out, so when my insecurity asks myself questions I can analyse things and come up with an answer.

As for the bike – don't worry about that! I've had so many crises of confidence on the bike I've lost count! Just keep riding and it'll come back – it has no choice 🙂

ton

loulou………….just be yourself.
    **** all the shyte on here, it is just the internet remember.
    have fun, do what you want to do, do not let anyone else talk you into something you do not want to do.

and this is coming from someone who is 100% the same in real life as he is on the forum.

cinnamon_girl

How come you lot are all so damn confident and self assured, where does it all come from?

I'm sorry to read you are struggling. Remember your original post and your enthusiasm and the obstacles you were determined to overcome.

I'm certainly not confident and self-assured. However, what I do (a lot) is ride by myself and take the pressure off. It means I can really concentrate, session bits if I want to, no worries about holding up folk and, most important, enjoy riding a bike.

One thing I would suggest is a skills session. Not sure what area you live in but can heartily recommend jedi of UK Bike Skills.

Do things that make you feel good about yourself, optimism rules! Praise yourself when you make it down a trail, instead of beating yourself up that you could have been quicker/technically better etc etc.

You're getting out on a bike. Many people don't. They don't know what they are missing out on. You can do something that they can not.

Try riding by yourself, it's really OK!

As for being confident and self assured, well, I have a huge amount of self-belief coupled with optimism but with self-deprecation too!

You have one life, enjoy it and good luck. 🙂

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Get some coaching to enable you to get the basics right. Do that and you will be a better rider than your mates in no time.

cheers_drive

If your sounds like your a little depressed, hopefully it will pass and riding the bike (even if it's a pootle in the woods) will help.
    Don't take Stoner's advice and drink, it may feel good at the time but you'll feel worse the next day.
    If it helps a swing from massive doubt to huge confidence quite regular – I just know how to cope with it after years of experience.

BigJohn

No you're not the only one.

Sometimes my mojo disappears for a week or so. Sometimes it comes back because I've decided to operate "within myself" for a bit, sometimes because I push myself.

It's not only with bikes. In personal relationships you can try to listen how you're coming across and calm it down a bit – but sometimes listening to yourself shows you're no longer displaying the characteristics that make people enjoy your company.

Try doing a few things that make you feel good about yourself. Set yourself some S.M.A.R.T objectives and make sure you achieve them.

There are plenty of folk on the forum wishing you well.

Specific

* Well defined
    * Clear to anyone that has a basic knowledge of the project

Measurable

* Know if the goal is obtainable and how far away completion is
    * Know when it has been achieved

Agreed Upon

* Agreement with all the stakeholders what the goals should be

Realistic

* Within the availability of resources, knowledge and time

Time Based

* Enough time to achieve the goal
    * Not too much time, which can affect project performance

jimmyshand
    Free Member

House. 🙄

domino

Don't put yourself down, like C_G says, you are getting out on your bike.

Drop me an email about the routes I sent, I am happy to ride one of them with you.

I have ups and downs, two weeks riding in Scotland mean I am on an up MTB wise but I have lost confidence on my road bike. I keep deleting what I type but I think I am trying to say we all have ups and downs and trying something different, riding in a new place or riding with someone new or on your own even can help change things. It will come back 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

alcohol. Shitloads of alcohol

it's not alcohol with me. I just know I can ride some stuff most of the time 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

I'm having similar problems although I've never had great self confidence off the bike. Its actually getting better the more I ride, in part because I'm meeting new people all the time and mostly because I'm losing weight!

Had a couple of big falls about a month ago which really knocked my confidence on the bike. Beforehand I was hitting all the bigger jumps at my local without any problem. Now I will do the smaller ones but big ones scare the shit out of me. For me whats working is just building back up slowly – just about ready to start doing the bigger ones again. Oh and pad up, it helps the confidence no end! Riding by yourself is good as well, I actually prefer it as I don't feel so stupid if I fall off and there's no one there to see it 😆

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

First walk the sections which trouble/scare you and see how much smaller/easier they really are. Repeat until you are at ease then ride the section – you will have removed the unknown and much of the tense/nervous distractions.

Being on foot makes spotting clean lines etc much easier especially if you approach it as if you were on a bike.

Oh and look ahead not down – I had many a frustrating ride until this was pointed out to me (skills day).

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I'm going to suggest that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with riding. Try taking walks instead of riding and give yourself time to reflect on what's going on. Think of it in terms of your general self, not just the experiences you're having on the bike.

scaredypants

jimmyshand – Member
    House

gentle Lolling over here !

oh, yeah, confidence…
    I ride what I want and I walk what I don't want to ride. I suppose I'd like to be better, but CBA to learn. I also can't ride anything at all tricky when I'm tired, say in the middle of a fastish ride. SO what ?

Sounds glib, but it is only riding bikes, for fun

Woody
    Free Member

THIS is what you need and a serious dose of WTFU'ing 😉

jedi

confidence is an easy fix.

loulouk
    Free Member

:O)
    Thank you. Firstly, it helps enormously to know I'm not the only one who wibbles a bit. I wish I'd said something earlier now, it's been a week and half since I road off road and that's too long.
    Concensus seems to be, find something manageable but a little bit challenging, walk it, think about it, ride it, then ride it again and again.
    I also think riding home from work again is a good idea, it's not challenging technically but it is fitness wise and I'm alone and yeah, I need to find my own peace again. I'm stressing about ridiculous things. Biking no matter what type it is should take that away.
    It's weird. I've noticed recently that once you focus on one negative thing, it's really easy to slide into focusing on all the negative and none of the positive at all. So kicking myself every time I think negatively and trying to switch focus onto something positive might work too.
    Awesome advice guys, seriously. It's so easy to get in a complete muddle.

lowey

As the others have said Lou… get yourself booked on a skills course. Maybe go with the other half or Ed at Great Rock does women specific courses. I'll send you his link of Facebook.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Concensus seems to be, find something manageable but a little bit challenging, walk it, think about it, ride it, then ride it again and again.

Or try something a bit different, like skip a trail centre (where the emphasis is on trying to stretch the skills of the rider), and plan a ride in the countryside, where the emphasis is on enjoying the views rather than pressure of if you should be able to ride a specific section.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    confidence is an easy fix.

Posted 8 hours ago # Report-Post

First hand experience says he is definitely right!

Confidence in yourself doesn't just have to come from riding more technical trais though, ride a bigger hill, ride further, do something new that gives you the sense of achievement…. confidence will follow.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

are you sure there arent any other factors in your life affecting you ?

Its hard to ride if your depressed or have something at the back of your mind all day.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Bike skills course for definate.

Jadi comes well recommended and there are others out there. Come to the Big Bike Bash for a chance to win a skills course with Jedi.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Have you crashed badly recently?

I've had a few crashes for no known reason and TBH, it's meant I'm pretty timid downhill – fast enough to keep up with most riders but anyone remotely quick will leave me wobbling down the hill. Yet uphill and on the flat, not many can keep up. It's older age and self preservation I reckon and I just accept it – a bad injury would have massive implications so I'd rather just avoid it and accept it – love DHing but just not quick at all – in the wet it's even worse.

wwaswas

I've come to the conclusion that I'm pretty sh*t at riding a bike on anything technical.

I can ride up hill all day but show me a log that needs clearing and I switch to 'mince'.

tbh, I just work with it and make sure I'm at the back on group rides so that I can take my own time on stuff.

I agree with c_g – riding on your own helps as you can go back and try stuff. Riding with a group will tend to push you to try stuff you think is beyond you though so you can end up surprising yourself.

if you have the time and money I think a skills day would help (I think it would help me but have never got arounsd to doing one).

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I had a big crash last October, separated my A/C joint in left shoulder, missed 2-3 months riding and felt generally miserable. Everytime I rode my usual bike (a Blur, the one I crashed on), it felt like it had 50p-shaped wheels. Really just couldn't find a rhythm at all and I had no confidence descending.

So I rebuilt my Chameleon hoping to refine my technique on more techy stuff until my bottle came back, and I immediately felt completely confident desending, to the point that my riding buddies say I descend faster on the hardtail than I did on the full suss!

No idea what the reasoning is: maybe the Blur had become too 'second nature' and riding something slightly different made me think a bit more; maybe the rigid frame instills more confidence due to the amount of trail feedback; or maybe simply the action of 'making a change' was enough to banish the demons.

All I know is I've got my mojo back, and I've not ridden the Blur since! Hope you get back to your old self…

brooess
    Free Member

Sounds like you have overhigh expectations of yourself. No-one is as confident or self-assured on the outside as they are on the inside IME.

Re bike confidence – invest in a day or 2 skills training and then go off and practice what you've learnt. It'll give you a more positive way to look at your riding as well as lead to material improvements in yr riding.

Re your personal confidence – you sound rather depressed to me. You might want to think about a self help book or go and ask yr GP to refer you for some CBT.

And riding a bike is a recommended cure for depression 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

It's weird. I've noticed recently that once you focus on one negative thing, it's really easy to slide into focusing on all the negative and none of the positive at all

I call that the black hole. It sits there in space, and if you get too close to it it starts to suck you in and you can't escape. My wife suffers quite badly this way.. if she's in the general vicinity of the black hole and something knocks her off course, she can spiral into it and then everything becomes terrible.. 🙁

Re Shibboleth – sounds like your Blur has geometry issues.. maybe different forks or stem or even seat position might help. I was a right mincer on my old Pace until I put a 10mm shorter stem and riser bars on it. Then it became a weapon 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Molegrips, I don't think so, it's served me well enough for 4 years or so. Just needed a bit of a change, I'm sure it'll feel fine when I get back on it.

badnewz
    Free Member

A good session on the bike can lead to positive thinking and create a virtuous circle of confidence more generally. I've never got into a negative cycle from the bike, even when I've had crashes – but that can lead to a burst of adrenaline which I need to dampen down (a couple of drinks) or it can lead to a low the next day.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I get stressed and miserable, I don't feel like biking. And when I make myself go it feels like a chore. Cold, wet, tired, hungry, not riding well, annoyed with the mud, the dust, the flies, every niggle re the bike.. and so on.

richmtb

Its probably been said before but its worth mentioning again.

When you are out riding and not feeling great – getting passed or not tackling technical stuff well. Don't think about the other people on the trail with you, think about the thousands of lazy feckers sitting at home who would turn red and have to stop riding 400metres into the first fireroad!

You are already better than thousands of others just go out and enjoy yourself!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It happens.

Confidence ebbs and flows. Be patient, it will return.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I get this with surfing too (which I'm meant to be good at).

Some sessions – pull all sorts of moves and catch everything.
    Other sessions – complete numpty that falls off all the time and catches almost nothing.

This poor standard can last ages sometimes.

Just be positive (enjoy other aspects of the ride rather than speed/performance – just being out there, being healthy, etc) and keep at it.

dropoff

All good advice on here, I think I must agree with Ton most though. Riding is all about enjoyment, not miles or how rad you are. Sometimes finding something else to do can be just as enjoyable. Go for a walk instead and you may look at things differently.

glenp
    Free Member

Sometimes we walk up Leith Hill and me and the kids run down the swoopy droppy singletrack sections. If a seven year old girl can run down it, then more or less anyone can ride it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Confidence (on & off the bike)’ is closed to new replies.