Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • confessions of a singlespeeder
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

got home from work last night, cup of tea, absent mindedly started fettling with the singlespeed – I swapped over to a shorter stem.

there was still a bit of light left when I finished. so I thought I’d pop out for a quick 5min spin around the block to see if anything fell off…

“that’s handy” I thought – I even had a flashy led on the seatpost from the last night-ride

on my way out, I picked up my helmet.

“that’s handy” – my helmet light was still zip-tied to my skidlid.

by complete fluke I was all set for a short ride out on a local loop, I was still dressed like an office worker, but carried on regardless.

the trails were in beautiful condition, with a growing depth of rustly leaves to swoop through, the clouds were hanging heavy over the valley, I saw a fox, it was all really rather nice.

about 45mins later I was creaking back up the hill, feeling at one with the world, and I bumped into an old friend of mine, he dabbles in bikes in much the same way I dabble with rock climbing.

he noticed my bike didn’t have any gears or suspension, and he started asking questions.

mostly ‘why?’

my usual answer is something like ‘it slows me down, so the girlfriend can keep up’

or ‘it’s harder, it’s good training’

but he caught me off-guard, and I started babbling about

‘being closer to the essence of what it is to ride a bike’ – I think I even used the word ‘purity’

I feel so ashamed, kill me now.

scaredypants

tonight I'll be rigid SSing & with tubeless tyres front & back

I'll be so connected to the trail I'd just disappear (up my own…) if it wasn't for the freewheel

69er
    Free Member

You've had one of those 'glad to be alive' moments. Shame you were caught off guard and then had to share it on a public forum! 😉

Made me smile!

kevonakona
    Free Member

I had much the same at the top of Laggan yesterday. Apparently it's the way forward.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Was out on the rigid singlespeed last night, saw 3 badgers! Doubtless the noise of gears and suspension would have spooked them had I been on a different bike…

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Bikes are great aren't they?

rolfharris
    Free Member

I had my first SS ride since SSUK yesterday and had a surprising amount of fun!

CountZero

Thanks for that. Made me smile.

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Wow, you guys ride singlespeeds? Wow, awesome… I'm really not worthy, but would you be so kind as to let me suck a fart out of your arses?

🙄

Olly
    Free Member

tempted to get a new frame, purely so i can do away with tensioners.
    i currently feel like a bit of an imposter…..

Olly
    Free Member

better still, i think ill just get gears…

epicyclo

Forking Our Souls – Member
    Wow, you guys ride singlespeeds? Wow, awesome… I'm really not worthy, but would you be so kind as to let me suck a fart out of your arses?

I'm sure we'd be happy to let you suck something more solid from there 🙂

cookeaa

I have to admit that after spending 30 odd minutes last night pissing about with gear and brake mechanicals at the side of the trail I got home and started half looking at options for a rigid, SS, V-braked build.

It’s been a while since I had such a nice simple bike but recently the lack of time I have now for fixing the fleet makes me want a super simple day to day XC bike, your thread may have tipped me over the edge…

Old steel Kona frame and P2’s are my current front runner, but that might just be nostalgia for my old fire mountain, rather than practicality…

fontmoss
    Free Member

Bikes are great aren't they?

:mrgreen:

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Can't beat a good blast on the SS, my entire collection of bikes will shortly be SS – I will at last be at one with my bikes 😀

oddjob
    Free Member

"I will at last be at one with my bikes "

Oh yes, that old chestnut.

The last bike I will ever buy…

Until the next one 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

ha ha… the dangers of the endorphine rush… good job you didn't go for a few pints of strong cider with yer mate imagine what else you might have told him 😯

Kev

the_lecht_rocks

since completing mmine, i've had the man-flu………..:(
    however, my time will come………. 🙂

TheSlider
    Free Member

Can't believe ss'rs use TYRES – call yourselves PURE cyclists !!

radoggair
    Free Member

rode my ss home from work today, going down a hill so changed it to 4 harder ss ratio's. had a good pace along the straight so kept that ss ratio for a while until i came to my climbing section of my ride so moved it up 5 ss ratio's. Got home in a quickish time, hassle free with a not too bad top speed and thought…………………..

Thank f*ck i have GEARS

crotchrocket
    Free Member

isn't it great how people are so accepting of someone elses enjoyment of something they don't enjoy.
    Makes you warm and snuggly inside. Vive le difference!

Xenophobes :/
    :rolleyes:

radoggair
    Free Member

isn't it great how people are so accepting of someone elses enjoyment of something they don't enjoy.
    Makes you warm and snuggly inside. Vive le difference!

Ah, well if thats aimed at me then

A/ i've never tried ss ( except bmx – does that count) so i dont know if i would enjoy it or not and
    B/ I was simply telling you what i did and what i thought on and after todays ride and
    C/ isn't it great how some people jump to wrong assumptions

Oh yeah 😛

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘confessions of a singlespeeder’ is closed to new replies.