Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Conditions on the A1 between London and Edinburgh?
  • petrieboy

We are supposed to be heading to Edinburgh tonight or tomorrow morning so just trying to get realistic ideas of what conditions to expect along the way. Drive to work this morning down the Hertfordshire stretch of A1 was dry and clear of traffic. Expect it to be worse further north but how bad are we talking?? Nationwide newsgasm is obviously telling everyone they will surely die if they step outside but I expect the truth is somewhat less serious.

So what’s it like where you are?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Not been on the A1 but in leeds its tipping it down and has been all morning. All traffic is gridlocked. I wouldn’t bother if I was you.

Drac

A1 around here is being kept clear it’s the one road they try to keep going but we’re due sub zero temperatures and heavy snow tonight in North Northumberland. If it’s not important don’t bother your ass and or do it in stages stop off somewhere and continue the next day.

It has been very bad through the night you don’t really want to be going on it if you can help it. We had to drive at 30mph or less a lot of the time.

scaredypants

I’d allow an extra 30 min or so

uphillcursing
    Free Member

What Drac said. Not funny in the slightest between Rock (just north of Alnwick) and Shillbottle today. Binned it when i was driving on frozen slush with no sign of Tarmac.

Saying that it there has not been any more snow for a couple of hours now so it may be fine. It changes that quick. From Lethal to not too bad depending on current snow falling/ ploughs passing.

Stay at home if you can.

chrisdb
    Free Member

Fine i.e. passable for the last 30 miles or so into Edinburgh but not quick – probably averaging about 30mph over the last 3 days and not any better road wise today.

Drac

Here’s a sample from Saturday night for you, the plouoghs were working hard but they couldn’t keep on top of it doing almost constant runs. We’re supposed to get showers the same tonight, we’ve had a hell of lot of snow here.

hels
    Free Member

Snowing right now in Edinburgh.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Drac,

I will call your video and raise you this phot0 taken at 11:45.

Xylene
    Free Member

A1 between Fawdon and the Metrocentre (small stretch I know) was shockingly bad for what was supposedly a little bit of snow the night before.
    Both lanes running, but outside lane was somewhat slippy.

I wouldn’t have fancied going too much further in it.

Drac

Yeah it’s been fun uphill.

I’m back in Friday night too.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thats the A1 heading north just before it goes back to dual carriageway.

carbon337
    Free Member

A1 closed north of Alnwick in both directions at the moment.

Drac

Must be an accident as for recovery work, heard lots of sirens earlier guess that’s what for.

TheBrick
    Free Member

why take the A1 to go from London to Edinburgh? The M6 I would expect to be less likely to experience problems and being further west will help with the snow fall. Even in good weather the A1 is not the best route to take to Edinburgh.

Dogzyboy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother unless you really have to. It’s still snowing in Edinburgh & lots more due.

If you really must head up, then I’d seriously consider the M6 as TheBrick mentioned. The weather appears to be effecting the East much more than the West.

br
    Free Member

My lads live near the A1 just north of Doncaster, they said that is was still snowing and they couldn’t make out where the curbs started and the road finished.

stumpy01

A1 between London & Peterborough (J17) is fine.

They were saying on the radio this morning that the A1 up near Grantham (about 30 miles north of P’boro) was closed beacause of a jacknifed lorry, so I reckon it must be pretty snowy from there on up.

I imagine it would be a journey from hell!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Conditions on the A1 between London and Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.