Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Conditions in Lakes?
  • robbespierre
    Free Member

I’m heading to the lakes this weekend for the first time on MTB.
    Based in Keswick for 3 days.
    Was thinking of Skiddaw (circuit and/or upand over), Borrowdale Bash for two days.
    Can anyone comment on current conditions on the trails, sections to avoid, recommended varients etc.
    Plus any suggestions for the 3rd day.

thanks

ton

keep a lookout for a noisy sweary group of northerners.

17 of which are like sheep and will all be riding a citrus based mtb.
    say hello to the sensible one on the big 29r………. 😉

robbespierre
    Free Member

Probably see you in the pub too!
    What routes are you planning on doing?

glenh
    Free Member

Current trail conditions: steep and rocky. Are you sure you want to go there? 8)

ton

whinlatter friday
    something including skiddaw on saturday
    and route near pooley bridge on sunday.

robbespierre
    Free Member

Well last trip was Aviemore and Wolftrax, so I’m thinking lakes will be more gentle and less rocky!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

It’s busy in town at the moment, being English half-term – I’d avoid anything cheeky before about 3pm. I’d also avoid that figure of eight ride around the back of Skiddaw – it’s a very dull ride. Glenderaterra in the morning and Borrowdale in the afternoon would be a better all-dayer.

Also worth considering Helvellyn from town – four hour round trip if you carry up Sticks and come down Birk Side (or up from Swirls and down Sticks is good too). Thirlmere over to Watendlath and down to Rosthwaite would add another hour or so – can be a bit wet coming over by Blea Tarn though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did anyone tell you it might have been rainy, probably will be rainy, and that all the trails are therefore rainy 365 days a year so therefore there is never any need to ask what the conditions are like? 🙂

robbespierre
    Free Member

Thanks ParkedTiger,

I didn’t know it was English half term – oops!

D0NK

I’d second Parkedtigers 1st paragraph skiddaw loop=boring but I’d do borrowdale early* and get any more interesting diversions done when it’s quiet and free from walkers. Blencathra in the afternoon.

*assuming you aren’t afraid of early morning starts

PT is blea tarn always wet or just this time of year? getting ideas for next year 🙂

parkedtiger
    Free Member

It’s pretty much always wet across that range – from the back of Walla all the way over to Blea Tarn. There’s maybe a window in April / May when it’s semi-dry or in the winter when it freezes. It’s not the worst ever though – worth it now and again for the descent to Watendlath. The next descent along off High Tove, now that’s wet 😀

robbespierre
    Free Member

Is the catbells ridge rideable or worth riding? (or allowed?)

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Catbells is a fun descent but I’d avoid it like the plague during daylight hours – it’s by far the busiest hill around and is always covered in walkers. There’s an excellent descent off the back of Catbells that’s actually a bridleway: from Hause Gate (between Maiden Moor and Catbells if you’re looking at a map). Climb up from Little Town and descend towards Manesty is the best direction – fix the fells steps, tight turns, and awkward drainage gulleys.

robbespierre
    Free Member

Thanks PT

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Conditions in Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.