Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Concussion…how long will this go on?
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

After a heavy tumble on road ice on 29th Dec I’m slowly recovering from the other injuries I picked up but it seems I have good days and bad days with my head.
    There was no bleeding from my head at the time but I had a good lump on the left hand side and less of one on the right.
    I’ve been cleared by the A&E docs as having no serious problems but I’m really fed up with the dizziness and nausea.
    For those who have had it in the past, how long did yours go on for before you woke up and thought ‘hey I feel ok’?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I was concussed 4 years ago, steel feel **** now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Concussion is probably one of the most discussed topics in contact sport these days. I wouldn’t want to draw conclusions but try googling “Concussion in Sport”

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve been cleared by the A&E docs

Did they CT your head?

rOcKeTdOg

Dizziness can last permanently, depends on the brain damage, I still can’t remember 40 minutes of a day at FoD last August

qwerty
    Free Member

[totally random thought] after a really heavy off (i didn’t go to hospital) including a high speed head on with a car whilst riding a motorbike i experienced dizzy spells for ages, i had deacelleration flu (i made this condition up) for a long time. I went to see a hurdy gurdy TCM massage guy who said that all the muscles in my neck were tight and were constricting the blood flow to my brain causing the dizzyness. Sounded logical. His treatment seemed to work but was too expensive for me to continue for as long as he advised. [/totally random thought]

sharkattack

My last concussion was very nearly the last thing I ever did. Lost about 12 hours. Spent 5 nights under observation during which I spent half the time asleep and the other half feeling like I had the single most sickening, mind bending, hangover I could possibly imagine.

I felt like death for the first couple of weeks. I couldn’t focus on anything so I couldn’t read. I couldn’t hold a conversation because I would fall asleep. Just typing this is making me remember quite how bad it was!

It got slightly but noticeably better every day but I still had a fuzzy head at least a month later. No permanent damage here though. I think.

Still, the initial week of horrific brain pain distracted from the broken bones.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Qwerty, no. I was told the symptoms I presented with did not warrant a CT scan.

chrssmale
    Free Member

As everyone else sayes it depends. For me personally it took quite a few weeks. Some days were better than others. I got hit by a car (before I used to wear a helmet, but we’re not entering that debate). It was the flash backs of the accident I found worse, trying to picture what happened what went wrong.

Never been the same since, if anything I’m better than before. It made me reflect on life a lot. Quit my old raving days/drugs etc, got a proper girlfriend, went to Uni after working for years as an office temp, got BSc a Msc. Life couldn’t be better. Though odd things still can trigger memories of the accident and I still don’t know what really happened that day.

It’ll take time, just don’t rush it

jono1982
    Free Member

Took me a good month to see straight again.
    Sea sickness pills work.

Strange unexplainable phantom pains.. walking around like an OAP.. chatting rubbish to anyone that would answer the phone.. girlfriend couldnt wake me up one day, so back to A&E for a few days..

really don’t remember alot of it..

shedbrewed
    Free Member

sharkattack and chrssmale, thanks, some reasurrance there.
    I didn’t black out and can remember everything.
    Scenario was curving road descent after gentle decline with speed around 25-30mph. Saw there was ice and began to brake with rear only and started to aim for verge. Bike went down hard on the left and I hit shoulder, head, hip, in that order then rolled and hit other side of head and right shoulder and elbow before coming to rest on my back half on kerb, half in road.
    I had a thick woollen cap on and that saved my from any abrasion or rotational head/neck injuries but yes every medical professional I have seen has been 1) aghast at me not wearing a helmet and 2) presumptious that I was.
    I try and rationalise the head injury recovery time by looking at the other injuries and thinking that it’s going to take as long as they are to heal.

Pigface
    Free Member

I lost a day after a big crash on a dirt bike doing the Hafren Rally, crashed on the Sunday, can remember nothing about the following day at all,I went to work and was sitting there not responding to questions etc got driven home.

Basically you have suffered a brain injury, that sounded scary when the doc said that to me, if you are still struggling go see your doc and get checked out.

jam-bo

took a big knock to the head skateboarding about 15 years ago, no helmet, 30mph and tarmac don’t mix well.

took months to be somewhere near right and still have some lingering effects but you learn to work around them…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Concussion…how long will this go on?’ is closed to new replies.