Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Concrete slab, will I need mesh
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

It’s for a wooden summer house.

Slab will be 185mm thick.

Feels wrong not to put messh in (A393 Anyone?) but it’ll be a right pain getting 1 sheet then cutting it to size.

redmex
    Free Member

Wooden summerhouse 185mm with 10mm steel fabric who specified that ?
    100/125mm with a142 more than sufficient with topsoil replaced with some hardcore and vib plate
    Are you just laying on top of turf maybe ?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Are you just laying on top of turf maybe

🙄

The level of the ground beneath the level of existing patio allows for about 185mm of concrete for the summer house floor internally, to be at existing patio level, allowing for beaters and floor structure. There’s about 100mm of hardcore under.

185mm thick equates to just under 1m cubed of concrete, minimum delivery is whatever but minimum charge is for 1m cube.

Hence the concrete thickness.

Set out with a 3″total station and laser level, because I can

wrightyson
    Free Member

You really really don’t need a393.
    I would always put mesh in, a193 can easily be cut with bolt crops.
    Presuming your summer house is 2.5×2 ish it’s only couple of cuts.

jag61

was going to say a142 would be plenty if you wanted are you using same structural eng as footflaps bunker base? 3″ pushing it a bit for accuracy.. have you measured diagonals? guessing you re around site a lot any offcuts lying about ? or straight bars for easier transport. pictures please

redmex
    Free Member

You can’t beat the old Pythagaros theorem for satisfaction if you want to square a base maybe up to 6m , once the hypotenuse gets above 8m the measuring gets tricky. Much prefer the optical level to my laser level feel like a sniper using it so accurate and Leica make good glass

mandog

150 thick mass concrete on compacted type 1 for my summer house. Still OK 12 years later.

wrightyson
    Free Member

**** me it’s a summerhouse base. I’ve put 50mx30m sheds up with a steel tape and basic theodolite. Bolts were bang on 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Job I’m on currently is simply drawings, volumes, d
    Levels, chords etc., 278 works with the main contractor, so no materials.

Shame, usually theres piles of gash steel or mesh laying about.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My local merchant does smaller sheets ex stock. Not the usual 4.8×2.4 would that be easier?

redmex
    Free Member

Ive never seen a 50m steel tape and if its a fibreglass one you could be miles out with stretch, you must live in the calmest weather zone ever ie no wind and someone who trusts you on the dummy end . If the end took off it would take your eye out

jag61

REdmex site eng ? 50 m steel tapes rare beast now. not always good tho, I used one once ..literally once , wound it in most of painted numbering peeled off, buy cheap… another one jumped from 17m to 19m brand new, could have been tricky

redmex
    Free Member

Not me served my apprenticeship i’m often to be seen with tools in my hands, although as a youngster i started as a qs but the pay was so bad and the job so boring. Wish i’d stuck in accountants of construction seem to be well paid

wrightyson
    Free Member

Fisco 50m tapes still exist. Needs must on these tightly priced jobs 😉

welshfarmer

LOL, just been reading a thread over on the Ag forum asking whether 6″ slab is overkill on a large cattle shed which only need to carry a 7 tonne telehandler, or whether he can get away with 4″ slab. Consensus is to go for 6″ and spec fibres rather than use mesh.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Much prefer the optical level to my laser level feel like a sniper using it so accurate and Leica make good glass

as I was on my own, the NA2 stayed in its box, laser level for shuttering it’ll be fine enough.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

[/url]DSC_1168 by Vic, on Flickr[/img]

footflaps

was going to say a142 would be plenty if you wanted are you using same structural eng as footflaps bunker base?

Bunker busting bombs are getting better all the time, it’s just an arms race…..

redmex
    Free Member

A393 there will be scrap bits leftover from the new Queensferry Crossing

natrix
    Free Member

Some reasonable concreting advice here http://www.pavingexpert.com/concrete.htm and here http://www.pavingexpert.com/reinfrc1.htm don’t forget to cure it

wrightyson
    Free Member

Good God just get it poured and stop **** around. It’s 1m3 ffs.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Concrete slab, will I need mesh’ is closed to new replies.