Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Concept2 rowing.
  • seadog101

I work away from home on a regular basis, Oil Rig, and use the Concept2 rowing machine in the Gym there as the mainstay of my off bike training.

I’ve been told I’m going to knacker my back (by a non-expeert IMO) if it’s combined with bike riding. I haven’t noticed any problems so far, and have used the machine on and off for about 2 years.

Are the potential back problems truth or tosh?

scaredypants

sounds like tosh to me – assuming you’re using it correctly

Kuco

I could see it knackering your back if you fall off the back of the rower or bike.

mactheknife

royal pump, I do a lot of rowing and biking. Strangely enough ive never had a twinge in my back.

BUT i do know how to row properly, bad technique may lead to bad back. Same as most things really.

See Rowing Technique

clubber
    Free Member

as above. bad technique can screw you up but follow the concept guide and you’ll be fine.

top tip though, don’t make the newbie mistake of thinking a harder setting is better. serious rowers would typically use around 4 or 5 most of the time.

Northwind

We’ve got concept2s in our gym, they’re rowing machines therefore the work of the devil but no more likely to do your back in than any other. Buuuut, yes, technique is essential and every time I’m in there someone’s making a horrible job of it.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-z9lkn3W_M[/video]

antigee

cycled for years, used a concept 2 for years both activities at least a couple of times a week – bad back no

willchaynes
    Free Member

I row at uni, and regularly train on concept 2 ergs, never found an issue switching between ergs and cycling. As stated if you are following the correct technique at the right settings for the work all should be well! (if anything better as you are strengthening your core, which should help you generally anyway). 🙂

seadog101

I’ve done the sensible thing – actually read the handbook AND watched the
    DVD! So far the only thing I’ve ever noticed is a little stiffness/ache the following day if I have been away from the machine for a while.

😉

jimification
    Free Member

I would think rowing done properly would be a great back strengthener and complimentary to cycling.

flap_jack
    Free Member

My back has started to give problems when I stopped rowing. I think it keeps your back strong. Should go back to it but I can no longer afford a gym membership…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Concept2 rowing.’ is closed to new replies.