Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Concept2 PM repairs
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

It looks the main board on my PM4 has given the ghost. The middle button on the right hand side no longer works. No signs of dirt or corrosion. Tried resets, firmware updates but no difference.

As Concept2 rowers on here are popular anyone recommend a repair man?
    If uneconomical to repair has anyone experience of the PM5 and is it worth the upgrade over the PM4?

jimmy

Hi, my pal knows his stuff – I’ll send this on to him.

jimmy

Before he gives a longer reply, I was reading about pm5s this morning – more functionality but less reliable. stick with PM4. What model is the rower, D?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Model D.

Only info I could find on the PM5 was USB and backlit. PM4 had been faultless until now.

jimmy

He says;
    I’ve disassembled and reassembled PM2 and PM3 monitors before. Often the button contacts just need a good clean with isopropanol. On the PM3 I also bought a new LCD screen and replaced that. Worked like a charm. LCD screen was only £20 or something.

jimmy

There’s a C2 Facebook group called concept 2 logbook if you want more geekery

drlex
    Free Member

Jimmy,
    Does your mate do repairs? I’ve lent my elderly C2 to a mate, who’s just told me that the monitor screen has failed (PM2) and I’m not sure it’s worth getting a new unit on a ten year old machine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

He says;
    I’ve disassembled and reassembled PM2 and PM3 monitors before. Often the button contacts just need a good clean with isopropanol. On the PM3 I also bought a new LCD screen and replaced that. Worked like a charm. LCD screen was only £20 or something.

That was my first thought so stripped it last night and it was clean as whistle inside but gave it all a good clean with IPA anyway. Whilst it was apart tried the rubber buttons from other positions on the one that isn’t working and still no joy although all the others work fine.
    The computer and display still work it’s just the middle button that doesn’t which is normally the down scroll button in the menus so whilst I can still row I can’t cycle through the menus to view items such as splits.
    I’ve had a search and can find spares for nearly everything apart from the mainboard which I assume is at fault as everything else works.

craigxxl
    Free Member

drlex – Member
    Jimmy,
    Does your mate do repairs? I’ve lent my elderly C2 to a mate, who’s just told me that the monitor screen has failed (PM2) and I’m not sure it’s worth getting a new unit on a ten year old machine.

If the screen has failed it is just a matter of opening up the case, Remove the mainboard screws, lift out the screen and rubber key pad and unplug the ribbon cable.
    Plug the new screen ribbon in place, locate the screen on the lugs, fit the rubber key pad, mainboard and screws and refit the case. Takes about 30mins being careful.
    New screen for PM2

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Give Joe from Southern Gym Repair a call 07880 707 314

He will hook you up

jimmy

You can also replace PM2 with a more recent model, I believe. He has a model C with a PM4.

If you’re in or near Sheffield I’m sure he’d help out.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Looking like I carry on with the non working button and unable to review my workouts as the boards are no longer available unless I chance on a PM4 going for spares on eBay. Alternatives are purchasing a PM5 or using something like Rowpro. The later is more appealing as it’s visually more stimulating than a monochrome display and has training functions too.

Anyone use Rowpro and if so how does it perform i.e. is it reliable bearing in mind it will be used in a cold, damp garage. I have either the choice of PC or Mac to run it on.

drlex
    Free Member

craigxxl,
    Thanks for the advice and link; good luck with yours (‘Fraid no experience of RowPro to offer).

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

I’ve been using RowPro (currently v4.000 on a Win7 laptop) for >5yrs, I reckon it’s worth the money.

Interface isn’t the greatest, the 3D graphics are basic and it sometimes fails to start (Task Manager -> manually stop the RPEng process).

On the good side: pre-programmed intervals (just checked, I’ve been saving the good ones from the Workout of the Day), custom intervals, graphs showing performance and target zones (pace, cadence, HR), training plan generator, online racing, ability to export workouts to SportTracks and thence to Endomondo.

You can get a license key for a 20-day free trial period at the Digital Rowing site.

How reliable is your computer in a damp garage? 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Concept2 PM repairs’ is closed to new replies.