Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • computer/tablet for elderly relative?
  • jsm

Anyone got any suggestions for a computer/tablet for an elderly relative? when you look at pc type systems they’re quite baffling, the error messages etc. Fine if you’re keen to learn, but boggling to some. I’m after something app focussed, just does what you need and doesn’t overwhelm.

They use:

iplayer to the tv (an output to hdmi would be nice)
    skype / webcam
    browser / email
    I currently use logmein to control the pc to help when things go wrong (it would be nice to do the same, can any tablet do this)

I was thinking about a tablet, with icons on the main screen. Seems easier? ipad/nexus 10? anyone done this swap?

thanks,

Stu

dannybgoode

I think the idea of having all the icons in one place is a good idea but I am not sure how an elderly person would get on with a touch screen over a keyboard. Not so much of an issue with iplayer but typing in web addresses, emails etc may be more taxing.

couple of options. One would be to get a Bluetooth keyboard also but you are adding to the complexity. Alternatively a cheap Windows 8 laptop with all the important icons on the start screen. Nice big icons to click the mouse on.

Take them to PC World and have them play with a tablet and see how they get on with it and decide from there.

Final option and whilst I wouldn’t go near one even if it meant never using a computer again would be a Chromebook. Loathe though I am to recommend it that would be my personal prejudice getting in the way of suggesting something that actually might be just the tick here.

Cheers

Danny B

jsm

I’ll have a look at the chromebook. In terms of typing, it’s more reading emails and clicking on pages/iplayer choices. Skype is used instead of outbound emailing ;-P

jsm

not sure you can get skype on chromebooks, seems to be google-centric/hangouts.

CaptainSlow

My mid seventies dad gets on well his ipad. iPad screen is only a hindrance really for typing quickly. At his speed it’s fine.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just got a Tesco Hudl as we had a load of clubcard vouchers, and got it for free pretty much. It’s pretty good. Android, not too Tesco branded, and would do what you want.

Edit: has a mini hdmi too

Each £5 worth of clubcard vouchers is worth £10 off a Hudl btw.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got a chromebook and I personally think they’re great at what they’re designed for.

Additionally I recommended one to an elderly relative who had struggled with Windows based pcs for a few years and she finds it infinitely easier to use. No updates, anti-virus etc etc to worry about whilst still having a keyboard. If any “tech support” is needed I just log on to my chromebook as her and I’m essentially on her computer.

jsm

is that the hp one?

dannybgoode

Final option and whilst I wouldn’t go near one even if it meant never using a computer again would be a Chromebook. Loathe though I am to recommend it that would be my personal prejudice getting in the way of suggesting something that actually might be just the tick here.

*Hangs head in shame* – apologies I forgot where I was then. Baseless personal prejudices are exactly what should prevent me from recommending something – DO NOT BUY THE CHROMEBOOK.

Won’t happen again 🙂

Cheers

Danny B

Cletus

I just pulled the trigger on the new HP Chromebook 11.

Will be mainly used for sofa surfing plus by my 7 year old daughter for her on-line maths homework.

It seems ideal for your relatives need bar the Skype usage.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“pulled the trigger” Did you buy one or shoot one?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Jsm – no it’s the Samsung series 3.

Not sure it’s available anymore but the hp is roughly the same price and probably better finished anyway by the sounds of things.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘computer/tablet for elderly relative?’ is closed to new replies.