Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Computer tech – SSD – Anyone tried one yet?
  • samuri
    Free Member

I’m rebuilding my desktop PC. All new components and I was thinking of installing a 64G SSD as the main drive for the OS/everyday programs with a 1TB drive as the data/lesser used program drive.

I reckon the SSD as the main drive will give me lightning fast boot up and every day use. I’ll use my USB drive as a backup.

So has anyone used an SSD drive in the ir PC yet? I know they’re massively quicker for normal program use, I’ve watched a few videos, I’m assuming they also boot up lightning quick too.

Any recommednations to which one?

Wozza
    Free Member

They’re still quite expensive considering the speed they give vs a raid array.

Couple of Raptors in raid will do you fine.

CountZero

I’ve heard of people installing flash card readers and stuffing a big card in to use as the boot-up and application partition, with significant speed improvements. See no reason at all not to do what you’re doing. My Powerbook only has an 80Gb h/drive, with a 500Gb external, so there’s no real difference that I can see. Anyway, with the new SDXC card standard just announced, you’ll soon be able to put a 2Tb card in and just shove everything onto that! :mrgreen:

duckers
    Free Member

Visit http://www.IveGotTooMuchMoney.com for better advice on this subject.

samuri
    Free Member

nah, I tried http://www.IworkinITandafastdesktopsimplyearnsmemoney.com which was much better.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Problem with using flash memory for boot/programs is the fact that it’ll keel over eventually, it is write-life-limited. Unless you set up one of the interesting read-only-boot systems on linux and make sure the swap partition is not on the mem card.

Coyote
    Free Member

Have you stole these from work?

samuri
    Free Member

we’ve not got any in yet. I’ve stole lots of other stuff but not SSD’s.
    As above at some point, I’ve done a bit of research and it looks like I should wait for things to settle down a bit. We’ll see a few hard drive manufacturers with massive investment in their spinning disk creation infrastructure go under, maybe even some of the big players and then a whole load of very cheap SSD devices will become available with ultra high speed and capacity.

Looks like computing is heading for a way big shakeup in the next couple of years. We have a massive disk array at work for storage. I reckon in two years it’d be cheaper to simpy ditch it and buy in 300TB of SSD which will go in one cabinet/shelf and just buy some more cards when things get close.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Computer tech – SSD – Anyone tried one yet?’ is closed to new replies.