Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Computer RAM advice
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade my current 1.5gb to 4gb.

Can anyone confirm wether this memory will fit my Dell Dimension 8400?

Spec currently:

2x DDR PC2-3200 512mb and 2x DDR PC2-3200 256mb

Crucial tells me-

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
    # Currently Installed Memory: 1.5GB
    # Available Memory Slots: 0
    # Total Memory Slots: 4
    # Dual Channel Support: Yes
    # CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    # CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz Model 3, Stepping 4
    # CPU Speed: 2992 MHz

I know I need 240 pin- anything else I need to watch?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Check on crucial.com/uk

WackoAK
    Free Member

go to this site http://www.crucial.com/uk/ and run the scanner tool

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I've been to Crucial- it only suggests PC2-4200/PC2-5400 RAM when I scan, so I wondered wether there was a reason I couldn't go higher?

mboy
    Free Member

so I wondered wether there was a reason I couldn't go higher?

Yeah, you're motherboard is only designed to run with the speeds it's telling you to go with…

Are you still running a 32 bit version of XP per chance? If so, you're wasting money upgrading your RAM beyond 3GB anyway as the OS won't be able to utilise anything more than 3GB.

What speed is the RAM that's currently in your computer? Are you intending to use any of it, or are you going to replace the whole lot? If intending to utilise some of it, then whatever RAM you buy, buy the same speed as the current stuff. If replacing the lot, buy the fastest reccomended for your machine (as suggested on the crucial site). Simple really!

Incidentally, how old is your PC? Looking at the stats (Pentium 4 3GHz processor) I'm guessing it's 4 years old or therabouts. Without wishing to piss on your chips, but upgrading the RAM significantly really isn't going to help that much to be fair. Your processor is OLD and slow by comparison to new machines. For instance, I bought a brand new dual core machine off Ebuyer recently for £220, with 4GB of RAM already. To say it pissed all over my Dell Dimension 5150 (3.2GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM) is an understatement. All benchmarks I ran took a fraction of the time… It's worth considering upgrading the whole machine, rather than spunking a load on RAM that won't make that much difference with a slow/old/outdated processor…

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Yes, running 32bit XP.

I'd be replacing the whole lot.

Yes, computer is four years old- but no issues. I'd just like it a little faster- I don't do games, or photoshop.

Worth saving the money and just buying from scratch when it comes to it? Was £900 at the time and I'd never spend that amount again, but would I get something better now for significantly less?

dmiller
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother with 4gb, 3.2 or thereabouts is all 32 bit XP will see / use. Also some of the older Dimension kit would only see 3gb at a motherboard level anyway. I would need to see check model numbers tomorrow but this is about the right age.

Also a dual core CPU will be bucket loads faster than a single core P4 these days…

However personally I would say try getting 2x 1gb and replacing a pair of the 512s you have. Should cost about £40 ish and will make a difference. It might get you another year before you have to buy a new one!

I would buy it from crucial as well – they are the best at memory at the moment, and they will take it back if it doesnt work 🙂

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Crucial aren't the cheapest though- and I know Kingston are reputable.

Basically looking for a cheap fix. Is replacing the CPU viable- or does that usually mean changing other bits too?

dmiller
    Free Member

Dont even think of changing the CPU – the motherboards on those systems are designed around one or maybe two generations of CPUS. It wont take a new enough CPU to be worth the cost.

Its worth buying the RAM from crucial for the after sales support – if it goes wrong crucial will help you out. Its like the difference between your LBS and wiggle. Wiggle are cheaper but if your not 100% sure what you are up to go to your LBS and pay a bit more for peace of mind.

You could also phone Dell – they should be able to sell you some. (Phone tech support and get the total solutions sales team) but crucial will be quicker to deliver and probably cheaper…

dmiller
    Free Member

You could also phone Dell – they should be able to sell you some. (Phone tech support and get the total solutions sales team) but crucial will be quicker to deliver and probably cheaper…

If you were in warranty btw I would get the ram from Dell – far less hassle, but I guess at the age of the system you are out of warranty.

mboy
    Free Member

Worth saving the money and just buying from scratch when it comes to it? Was £900 at the time and I'd never spend that amount again, but would I get something better now for significantly less?

Re-read my previous post…

I recently spent £220 on a NEW machine from ebuyer that pisses all over my 3 1/2 year old Dell Dimension 5150 (with faster processor than yours at 3.2Ghz)… So you don't need to spend £900 by a long stretch…

I tried upgrading my RAM in my Dimension 5150 from 1GB up to 3GB… It made very little difference!

I know you say you're looking for a cheap fix, but honestly, you're better off saving a few quid… You'd spend £40 or so on the RAM you want to upgrade. Save that, cos it'd literally be wasting money on a 4 year old machine like that!

Sorry to say that your £900 computer is probably worth about £50 now too! It's what happens with computer equipment (unless you buy a Mac, at least they retain some value).

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I'm pretty aware that £900 then is almost worthless now.

If I'm looking at a new build, how do I know I'm getting something faster- ie. how dues my 3.2ghz processor compare to a 2.2ghz dual core?

Cheers so far- I meant to upgrade the RAM ages ago but its never been essential, so this is good reading.

mboy
    Free Member

how dues my 3.2ghz processor compare to a 2.2ghz dual core?

VERY hard to say to be honest… On some software, there will be little difference, a dual core will monster a single core, and likewise a quad core will be quicker still!

But there's not much software written that can utilise all 4 cores of a Quad core that effectively these days, so running a Quad is really not essential for most people. Most software can benefit from being run on a Dual Core processor though, so in general, a Dual Core processor is significantly faster than a single core.

Core speed can be misleading though. It is not just the core speed that dictates how fast a processor is. That is to say, when you compare your 3GHz machine with a 2.2GHz Dual core (which would effectively equate to a 4.4GHz single core in theory), the dual core will run a LOT quicker than the equivalent clock speed difference. Being new, it will have a much faster front side bus speed, and be able to utilise much faster RAM.

Overall computer performance is MUCH more detailed than clock speed on the processor and how much RAM you've got though. For a start, how much unwanted crap have you got running in the background that's killing your machine before Windows has even successfully started?!?!

scaredypants

I've bought a couple of motherboard bundles before now to upgrade old PCs

Got mine from Novatech (mainly cos they're nearby & I can go & shout at them if I have to – never have though)

They supply a motherboard, processor & memory all built up & tested (good for lazy people like me) that you just swap into your existing PC case (assuming the power supply is up to it and the board is the same size (ATX/micro/etc etc)

dmiller
    Free Member

you just swap into your existing PC case (assuming the power supply is up to it and the board is the same size (ATX/micro/etc etc)

I doubt the dimension you have will be standard. Very few Dell boxes are. Sorry!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Computer RAM advice’ is closed to new replies.