Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Computer question for the IT people on here
  • Admiralable
    Free Member

I bought Command and Conquer the first decade last week with a view to installing on my netbook. The netbook doesn't have a dvd drive and I can't justify spending money on one at the moment. My laptop does have a DVD drive though. Both are running windows 7. How can I remotely install the game from the Laptop to the Netbook? Tried sharing the drive but it won't see it. Unless I'm doing something wrong 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh.. you'll be wanting an external DVD drive then.

However I'd be surprised if a netbook is powerful enough for a game.

Admiralable
    Free Member

I only want to play Red Alert and the original C&C which are win 95 games so should work

IA

It might not work, depending on copy protection, but I'd do something like:

Get a copy of virtualCD (or similar cd drive emulation software, I dunno what's good thesedays), install on both machines.
    Make a copy (ISO) of the disc on the laptop, copy this image over the network to the netbook.
    Mount the file on the netbook as a virtual CD drive.

(I don't have a windows 7 machine at hand to suggest particular software, but the general idea should work)

Cougar

This ^^ except, I'd use Daemon Tools Lite instead of Virtual CD, and you only need to install it on the Netbook. To make the ISO, MagicISO is reasonable and free.

Sharing the drive directly is awkward. It does odd things when you share removable drives. I'd go with moving the ISO as IA suggests.

Cougar

(not saying Daemon is better than Virtual CD particularly, it's just what I know, never used the other one)

IA

I'd go with cougar's suggestion, they're probably more up to date on windows software than me. I last used windows on a daily basis in 2003…

Admiralable
    Free Member

I need something that will get around the copy protection that EA add to all their games 🙁

soma_rich
    Free Member

You can download the original C&C game free of charge legally from EA games site I think.

sobriety
    Free Member

Edit: Soma Rich's answer is the right one.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Oooh there goes my afternoon.

http://www.commandandconquer.com/classi

Damn!

freddyg
    Free Member

^^^ add the "c" on the end of the URL http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

toab
    Free Member

My dinky laptop has no DVD drive and I've always just copied the files from the CD / DVD (all of them) onto a flash drive, then put the flash drive in the laptop and clicked on the exe file.

Have done it with MS office etc and never had any problems – just installs from the flashdrive

Admiralable
    Free Member

To paraphrase Blackadder.

Soma_rich I love you and want to have your babies!

Those are all the ones I wanted to play 🙂 I'm skiving the rest of the week!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Computer question for the IT people on here’ is closed to new replies.