Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Computer PSU ripple measurement – anyone able to interpret?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve been having instability creep into my PC in the last few days, strangely as it WAS very stable previously.

The machine is overclocked, but I’m fairly good at this usually, and it wasn’t like that to begin with, nor have I strayed outside of safe volts/temps.

Somebody mentioned in the thread that they’d changed their PSU and found a significant improvement, and this got me thinking, so I went to the Uni Lab and borrowed a USB Picoscope and found some rather interesting results.

I really should be doing something else, so to save time I’ll just link you to the thread where I’ve already upped some screengrabs of examining the +12v rail under load.

Can I get any feedback on the scope data? It looks to me like a shedload of ripple [300mv Peak-to-peak] , and I’m thinking that maybe my 5year old PSU has had it?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1461359/official-xeon-x5660-x58-review-discussion-and-xeon-l5639-benchmarks-inside/2810#post_23495367

Any feedback showing if I’m doing this right? I really don’t want to spend £130 on a new Seasonic PSU if I don’t need to 🙁

Cheers!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nerdybump

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Sorry can’t really help with this one but it does sound like it could well be a PSU problem to me (having experienced a few in the past).

You shouldn’t really need to pay £130 for a decent PSU unless you have insane power requirements (but knowing you, you probably do!).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hey dude.

I need 400W+ and the idea is to fit dual 970 GTX cards over the next year or two, so then I’ll need 600W or so. This one has very low ripple [measured around 20mV in reputable online tests]* and does also come with a 7 year warranty, which, it seems, may have benefits!

*I want to avoid “garbage in , garbage out”.

Also – that HP scores about 1300 in Cinebench, and my 4GHz clock scores 930, so it is indeed faster 🙂

[Unless I can much hit higher clocks with a clean PSU 😀 ]

brokebony
    Free Member

OMG OMG OMG OMG, their only going to release ELITE all new and 21st century!!!!! It’ll be like rediscovering your girlfriend from the eighties……only she’s well hot and forty….. that’s wrong isn’t it?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

eeerh,yeah!

That’s next in the list of things to do after the two Bioshock Infinite DLC’s and I have handed in my first paper 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Last bump – I could do with a little cross-check before I spend more money.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Computer PSU ripple measurement – anyone able to interpret?’ is closed to new replies.