Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)
  • Compulsory Helmet Consultation
  • wilburt
    Free Member

It will be enforced by the zombies in cars/trucks/buses who are presently not sure if its legal or not to run you over. (they’re pretty certain theres no consequences)

Even if it doesn’t become law the headlines are giving them encouraging signals anyway.

TBH Its small change in the grand scale of stupidity shown by this country in the last few years.

oldnpastit

big deal over being leaders in automated vehicles

You can want whatever you want, doesn’t make it so.

If you think that having a computer drive a car around downtown Mountain View is hard, wait till you try getting it around somewhere like Cambridge.

They’ll never figure out how to get out of Lion Yard carpark and any further than King’s Parade, and past the hordes of tourists milling around there.

And if they actually manage that, they will all end up in the Ouse river on the first frosty morning, drowning their hipster occupants, who will be frantically updating their Facebook status as they sink below the greasy cold waters.

wilburt
    Free Member

I was at an insurance seminar on automated vehicles recently, thats how exciting my life is you know.

There was a lot of giddiness about self drive which I thought was Turkeys getting excited about Xmas.

Fortunately for them they wont be mass fully auto for 20yrs +.

winterfold
    Free Member

Even if helmet compulsion wouldn’t directly affect you or change your behaviour you should still oppose it. The impact of compulsion on cycling rates is pretty clear from the evidence, possibly because it helps portray everyday “utility” cycling as a dangerous activity. Reducing the numbers cycling is a terrible idea for public health, and probably unhelpful to us as cyclists.

Unfortunately my anecdotal experience is that by far my worst cycling injury came from everyday utility cycling, outcome would have been much worse without a helmet. I wasn’t going to wear a helmet that day, but thought I should because I was riding to a school where I was governor and didnt want to set a ‘bad’ example.

I’m not going to tell other people they MUST wear a helmet, but my personal experience is that they are of benefit. Normalisation of their use is preferable to legislation – although tbh arent we there?

(I totally agree that the debate detracts from the more important issue of encouraging cycling as a means of transport)

If you want to be seen then proper lights are much more effective than hi viz in the day, and reflective is better at night. I feel there is more of a case here, I live out in the sticks and cyclists eg riding under tree cover in sunken lanes in dark clothing are hard to see. But in a city, what is most effective is probably different – so what do you do?

But mass civil disobedience will make it a waste of time. Coppers are too bust out here scraping mid life crisis motorcyclists off the tarmac to worry about cyclists who are wearing red instead of chartreuse, or if a cyclist in black with a 100 lumen rear light is more vivsible than in an orange gabba.

the country is heading down shit creek without a paddle and government resources need to be directed on to more important things than matters of personal liberty

Flaperon

How would it be enforced if it came in? I wear a helmet through choice, but not hi-viz and don’t plan on ever wearing it.

I doubt it will be enforced – this would be a change to make it easy for insurance companies to deny compensation when squashed under a lorry.

“I’m sorry, that’s not an approved shade of Tangerine Orange. CLAIM DENIED.”

keir
    Free Member

How Chris Boardman keeps going in the face of all this BS I do not know.

His mother was killed by a car while cycling not very long ago, I suspect this has given him a deep personal investment in the matter

fossy

It’s motorists that are the problem. Doesn’t matter what you wear, if they aren’t looking properly, you are toast. I know too well, having suffered a badly broken spine and 4 ribs – my helmet didn’t have a mark on it.

Lying on the floor I had to keep saying it was my back that hurt, not my neck or head.

mattyfez

Thing is though it’s an an easy law to pass, there’s very little to no chance of enforcement, so it’ll just be lip service to satisfy the rabid frothers.

Doesn’t make it right though.

T1000
    Free Member

Ok by me as long as cars are only available In statistically safe colours say yellow and black stripes
    + drivers are automatically monitored to see if they paying attention and any lapse of concentration is rectified by a built in taser

kerley
    Free Member

Normalisation of their use is preferable to legislation – although tbh arent we there?

I would say that where I ride 99.n% of people wear helmets. In fact I am the only person riding around without one. Not really sure a law is required here.

However, very few people wear clothing that you can see easily (with a fashion over last few years to wearing all black on the road) so the high viz clothing would be a much bigger impact to most people than helmets.

wilburt
    Free Member

75% of the 1900 kids going to the high school near me go by bicycle. Very few of them wear helmets,(they also wear dark clothing) if they were made compulsory very few kids would ride bicycles.

We have so many kids getting around safely by bicycle because there is good infrastructure and low speed limits.

I wouldnt care tough tbh if it was put into law, it would be confirmation (as if it’s needed) the country is run by simpletons and excuse enough for me to leave.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Wouldn’t go anywhere without wearing a helmet ..although road riding is something that is only done to link up the next section of trail ..
    Off-road my helmet has saved me from a nasty accident on numerous occasions..the worst one being when a wooden stake in the ground would have embedded itself into my temple had the helmet not been there.
    I just don’t get the anti-feeling towards them ..in my eyes it’s a vital piece of safety equipment which if it saves even one person from any kind of injury ( never mind death ) ..is well worth wearing …
    Finally the folks who are floating around on bikes without a helmet actually deserve their next tumble to be a head related injury ..wonder if you would change your mind then ?

martinhutch

Finally the folks who are floating around on bikes without a helmet actually deserve their next tumble to be a head related injury

I assume you must be trolling.
    Otherwise comments like that suggest that there isn’t much in there to protect.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Why would you presume that you idiot ..are you saying that helmets don’t protect your head ..and if you are going to quote me ..dont take little sound bites out of what I have written ..keep it in context with the full statement ..fool !

kerley
    Free Member

Finally the folks who are floating around on bikes without a helmet actually deserve their next tumble to be a head related injury ..wonder if you would change your mind then ?

And let’s hope your next tumble involves a lorry driving over you. Nice trolling.

hodgynd
    Free Member

You too ..another fool!

wilburt
    Free Member

The trouble wih the internet is its given a voice to imbeciles like hodgynd.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Another idiot joins the list ..why do you think you are so right you dolt

ianbradbury

I just don’t get the anti-feeling towards them ..in my eyes it’s a vital piece of safety equipment which if it saves even one person from any kind of injury ( never mind death ) ..is well worth wearing ..

Don’t know about other people, but personally I’m not “anti helmet”, indeed offroad especially I’m happier wearing one. My objection is to the compulsion suggestion and to the focus being placed on helmets and coloured jackets rather than focussing on the main dangers faced by utility cyclists.

irc

hodgynd – Member
    ..in my eyes it’s a vital piece of safety equipment which if it saves even one person from any kind of injury ( never mind death ) ..is well worth wearing …

Wear one in your car then? Car occupants suffer a huge number of head injuries. If it saves even one person?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Ian ..on that point I fully agree with you ..and not once have I stated that they should be made compulsory ..indeed my whole point was based around the fact that in my own view they are a necessary piece of equipment to keep all riders safe …
    I’m not wishing injury on anyone ..quite the opposite in fact ..merely stating that IF the non wearers next tumble resulted in a head injury would they then wish that they had worn one?
    As usual though lots of “precious” posters take offence at anything that doesn’t conform to their own view ..

hodgynd
    Free Member

Irc ..am I supposed to take that question seriously ?
    Car drivers travel a lot faster than cyclists ..statistically there are more of them and most I’m assuming would be the result of an interface with the windscreen at a high speed ..however it’s not unknown ..formula one & rally drivers wear them ..

wilburt
    Free Member

There is no evidence that they significantly improve safety but there is evidence that making them compulsory reduces the number people cycling and that makes cycling considerably less safe.

Which is why making them compulsory is so popular with people and organisations who want fewer people cycling.

You know all that though dont you? Its not like youre stupid or anything.

Whether you wear one or not is irrelevant btw.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Wilburt..could I please refer you to my answer to Ian two posts up the page ..
    Not once in anything that I have written have I stated that they should be made compulsory..nor have I quoted any statistics as to how many injuries they help to stave off ..
    What I have done is give a personal opinion [/i]on why I think they are a good idea.
    As far as I’m aware I haven’t jumped on anyone else’s opinion as to why they think they are not.
    Is it normal for you to call someone an imbecile just because they don’t share your own view ?
    Forums are supposed to be somewhere where you can express an opinion ..arent they ?

martinhutch

What I have done is give a personal opinion on why I think they are a good idea.

What you did was express the personal opinion that people who choose not to wear a helmet deserve to have a head injury. Which makes you sound a little bit disturbed. If you’ve expressed yourself badly, and didn’t mean to say that, perhaps you should rephrase?

hodgynd
    Free Member

😆
    You really are a prize pillock..
    From everything I said you choose to pick holes in the fact that there was one misplaced word ..that being “deserve” ..and skim over everything that was said about safety / saving bad head injuries etc…
    Maybe what I should have said is that in my opinion folks that don’t wear them are an accident waiting to happen would that have appeased ?
    If you weren’t so quick to jump in and actually took the time to understand the gist of what I wrote you would perhaps understand that the point I was making was that I’m in favour of more riders wearing them to save them the possibility of any head injury occurring ..
    It must be great living in your little world where you quite obviously make no mistakes at all ..but I will be watching 😉

gowerboy

I feel strongly against helmet compulsion. I wear one sometimes – but mainly when I’m mountainbikeing. But I much prefer touring without one. And I want to decide for myself when I wear one.

I would be surprised if they are made compulsory as it seems like a waste of time and energy to legislate for something that many people oppose, for which there is no strong supporting evidence and which would be so hard to enforce.

It would probably put pay to ‘Boris’ bikes type schemes too as nobody will bring a helmet with them and shared helmets would be a turn off.

Then there are the discussions about faith/ religious headgear….

TiRed

I’ve been a Giro crash test dummy on three occasions, including one which lost me half an hour of my life. No I didn’t hear the air ambulance landing next to me! The other two were OTB racing crashes, lostabout 15 minutes on those occasions. So I think I have done the practicals. Mine is black with fluoro hilights, so covered on both counts, in fact I often forget I’m wearing it as it’s so comfortable, and really no big deal.

Still not in favour of compulsion though, as cycling is a normal low risk activity for most people, and I think about the times I might not have a helmet for an errand. Or on my trike, where I use a helmet mainly for a light mount!. But if it happens, the sky wouldn’t fall in. It’s not Brexit after all, is it?

martinhutch

If you weren’t so quick to jump in and actually took the time to understand the gist of what I wrote you would perhaps understand that the point I was making was that I’m in favour of more riders wearing them to save them the possibility of any head injury occurring ..

I humbly apologise for reading what you wrote and thinking that was what you actually meant. 🙂

RustySpanner

So what are we going to do about it?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Sarcasm ..the lowest form of wit ..to be honest I don’t really care what you thought but you seem very quick to trade insults…and I’m only to happy to reciprocate..

hodgynd
    Free Member

Spanner ..childish ..

jamesoz

I don’t want to wear a crash helmet and hi viz to ride to the pub, I think I’ll drive instead. Warmer and no special clothes required.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

hodgynd – I’d suggest you write more carefully, your tone and subsequent responses don’t come across well. Neither does your first post. I’d also suggest you read up a bit more on both the effects of helmet compulsion and how much protection a bicycle helmet actually provides and the impacts/speeds they’re designed for. I’ll give you a hint – it’s not very much.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Whatnobeer ..I would suggest that you keep your advice to yourself ..when I want it I will ask for it ..just so that you know I found THAT extremely rude..so maybe take heed of your own advice .
    If you care to look I wasn’t the one who started with the insults ..
    As far as reading up on things I’m speaking from personal experience which I find more hands on than whatever numbers you wish to quote ..

fin25
    Free Member

Hodgynd, you literally just said that people who don’t wear helmets deserve a head injury.
    Whatever your side of the helmet debate, that’s a bit much.
    I don’t wear a helmet on short commutes, do you wish me to get a head injury?

RustySpanner

Sorry, I wasn’t responding to anyone, I’ve not read the bickering.

Serious question.
    How do we approach this?
    Is it just a warning shot or are we about to be taught a lesson.

So what are we going to do to ensure our views are represented?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Fin25
    I subsequently said that yes that was a mistake and would it have been better for me to say that riders who don’t wear helmets are an accident waiting to happen ..
    I would have thought that what I’d written previous to that when I mentioned that if wearing a helmet could save one injury never mind a death then they would be well worth wearing ..
    I really don’t understand the negativity ..the very fact that I’m advocating everyone wearing a helmet should make it fairly obvious that I don’t want you or anyone else to sustain an injury ..IF YOU DON’T WANT TO WEAR A HELMET THEN CARRY ON ..YOUR CHOICE..BUT PLEASE DON’T ASK ME NOT TO THINK THAT YOU ARE BEING FOOLISH ..MY OWN EXPERIENCE IS THAT YOU ARE .
    Sorry if that offends ..

fin25
    Free Member

How do we approach this?

I’m just going to carry on with my life, as any stupid laws they pass will be unpoliceable. It’s annoying that people are idiots, but there’s little I can do to reduce their number, there’s **** millions of them.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

There not going to be any new laws regarding helmets nor hi-viz.

This is a private members bill suggesting children under 12 should wear helmets.

That is all.

The papers have you stewing over, how can I say it…..FAKE NEWS..

Bikebiz

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Compulsory Helmet Consultation’ is closed to new replies.