Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Compressors
  • Nobby

I know it’s probably been done before but I can’t find anything.

What do I need to look for regarding compressors – mainly for ease of getting UST tyres seated?

What kind of air flow is needed?

Should it have a tank and, if so, what kind of capacity?

I’m sure there’s a load more to it but any advice would be appreciated.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Just get a bog standard one with a 25l tank and accessory kit. It will be one of the most useful tools you will ever buy. Places like Aldi often do them on their offers , should be able to get one for under £100

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Aldi ones & it seems ok, though I’ve never used or owned any other compressor. Only thing I’d say is that the accessory pack you can buy with that compressor is a bit hit & miss. The tyre inflator in particular seems to spew air as much outside the valve as inside. I also have co2 canisters that I’ve used for inflating tubeless tyres in the past, and if you don’t need a compressor for all the other useful tasks it can perform, then co2 is definitely the way to go imho.

Nobby

I’ve been ok with a track pump or co2 up to now but I guess I just cba anymore.

Seen a couple of cheapish ones with 6l tanks & wondered it that would be enough – or, indeed whether a tank is needed at all.

pedalhead
    Free Member

hmm well I find my co2 canisters inflate tyres easier and with less hassle than the compressor.

Klunk
    Free Member

The tyre inflator in particular seems to spew air as much outside the valve as inside.

yep, i’ve given up using mine, i just connect the hose directly to the valve, open the tap on the tank. Probably going to blow the tyre one day :-). Word of warning on compressors, piston ones are loud very loud hence the need for a large tank… you don’t want to be running them for a long time not unless you like pissing off your neighbours.

Nobby
    reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I’m prety sure that is a very low volume constant output compressor, only really useful for light spraying duties. you realy need the volume of an air tank to provide a bit of oomph. Regarding noise-yes they are noisy but if you only run it when you need to it will only be on for a few minuted to charge the tank. Air should stay in it for a week or so without too much leaking out.
    You need something like the blue one below.

scruff
    Free Member

I have an Aldi one, the fittings were all funny sizes so a pain to get Halfords pressure gauge to work. In use its Ok, a few things have rattled loose but it works and only cost £90. I had a look at a 24l machine mart one, look decent enough but you will want a receiver for storing a good volume of air. Great addition to the man cave, dead useful for all sorts of things particularly cleaning and drying bike bits. Anyone who thinks they are unnecessary is really stingy & lives under a rock.

Nobby

I’ll keep looking then – thanks chaps.

brassneck

Fizzy drinks bottle ghetto compressor for tyres, no way am I spending £100 on something to blow a bloody tyre up.

Though you may have the last laugh as I pick RollerCola bottle shards out of a childs face.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Compressors’ is closed to new replies.