Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Compressive Modulus – What does it mean?!
  • peaks
    Free Member

Right I’m reading some study papers on cartilage in joints – thrilling I know, brilliant way to spend a Friday 🙂

I’ve come across the term “compressive modulus” with reference to the bits of cartilage closest to the bone and the bits farthest into the joints. Now I’ve got myself in a bit of a pickle over exactly what a higher or lower compressive modulus means in this situation.

Term is – cartilage closest to bone has a higher compressive modulus than the exposed cartilage in the joint space

Does that mean you will get more squish, so more deformity in the cartilage next to the bone when load is applied? Or does it mean the cartilage closest to the bone is more resistant to deformity under load, so less squishy??

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

more resistant to deformity under load, so less squishy

This.
    Higher modulus = stiffer

surrealguy
    Free Member

Elastic modulus may be considered in uniaxial tension, where the higher the modulus the more pressure is required to extend the sample by a certain distance than for a different material with a lower modulus, all gemoetrical parameters being the same e.g. steels may have a modulus of ~210 GPa & Aluminium alloys ~70 GPa.

The same is true in compression, where a high modulus means that a material is more resistant to compression than another with a low modulus, all geometrical paramaters being the same.

A material may be stronger in compression than tension, as strength is independent of modulus, although high modulus materials are often strong.

peaks
    Free Member

Thanks guys, riddle solved! Much appreciated

Now need a coffee to compensate for the brain ache thinking about that caused 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Compressive Modulus – What does it mean?!’ is closed to new replies.