Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • compressionless brake cables?
  • breninbeener

Im building up a road disc bike with TRP Spyre cable brakes.

what is the recommended compressionless brake cable?

thanks

riklegge

I’d go with the trp cable. I initially used jagwire but there was not enough outer provided to run continuous outer front and rear. Trp set has a bit more outer.

matt007
    Free Member

I’ve had good results with the good ridge branded stuff off CRC, made a huge difference with my cable disc brakes on the commuter

swillybey
    Free Member

Linear Slic or Nokon if you are a fancy pants.

DrP

I’ve had yokozuna previously – very good, but really stiff!

Currently got jagwire road xl, running full length cable on internal routing.
    Seems equally good..

DrP

T1000
    Free Member

Nokon doesn’t age well

somafunk

Yokozuna is good but goes rusty under the clear coat which pissed me off considering the expense so i fitted jagwire which is equally as good and far more flexible.

swillybey
    Free Member

On, and file the ends flat before fitting good quality metal ferrules.

stevious

If you go for jagwire then look for the XL version as the normal road kit doesn’t have enough outer for full length.

I have it on the winter bike and it’s holding up well.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

On, and file the ends flat before fitting good quality metal ferrules.

Filing the ends flat actually makes the ends crooked when fitted, due to the strands of cable on the inside and outside of any curves bending by different amounts.

breninbeener

Omg…this is so complicated

epicyclo

Make your own – use alloy tubing for all the fixed runs of cable. I get mine from B&Q – dirt cheap. Make you own cable joints by getting the next size up and cutting a short section.

For a liner get some small bore teflon airline from an industrial parts supplier.

I did this one 6 years ago and it’s still perfect.

breninbeener

Wow that looks ace

faustus

That is exceptionally tidy. I’ve just this minute had a set of trp compressionless cables delivered. I may now take a trip to B&Q. What did you use for the non-fixed runs?

mattbee

I toyed with doing that, certainly for the bit that goes down the down tube. Didn’t Avid used to sell a kit that was basically the same thing?

somafunk

Avid full metal jackets but the kit only included two runs of solid tubing for the top tube and rear stays which you had to join with flexi cable.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I found a nice length of stainless steel tubing in a model shop and used that for the seat stay section on my Cotic X.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘compressionless brake cables?’ is closed to new replies.