Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Composting toilet in remote location
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Anyone with any experience (not just using them…) but the installation/maintenance of waterless composting toilets? We are using a pretty remote barn for some storage and work and will be spending more time there in the coming year with a few extra people visiting from time to time. Don’t want to get caught short sort of thing when there all day and crapping in the woods is not an option. No mains drains there. Didn’t really want to hire an ugly plastic chemical filled portaloo (and the cost of empyting/servicing) so was thinking of buying and installing one of these ‘dry’ chuck on sawdust loos with pee separator. It’ll need to be in its own compartment inside the barn, can’t build anything outside, although we can work out a way of venting to the outside and can take away waste as needed (not too often I hope). Seen a few advertised but any recommended types or alternatives? Cheers

gallowayboy

I live with a composting toilet in my house, family of three, and maintain a couple of others (different types) at my work.

My house has a Separet Villa unit which is good for indoors, has an electric extraction fan built in to remove smells, separate drainage for urine (in a remote location a soakaway’s fine) and empty your bucket every three days or so into a pit or midden (mine gets emptied into a worm composting tank).

If you’re thinking of an outdoor cubicle (cludgie, nettie, insert local term here) which may suit your location and possible lack of power then you may want to build your own – There’s loads of stuff on the web on perfectly good home made compost toilets if you fancy a challenge – good fun designing and building one.

I can email you a list of links to useful websites…..my email’s in profile.

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks, links would be useful, no email in profile?

molgrips
    Free Member

You really don’t want to put a toilet in a remote location. It needs to be close to your living spaces, otherwise it would take ages to go to the toilet and that would be annoying.

mattsccm
    Free Member

😆

matt_outandabout

Our old work one was a platform with old bowl mounted on – dropping into wheelie bins that could be swapped out and left to ‘mature’ as needed.

lyrikal
    Free Member

Anyone ever try out the one in Les Arcs, on top of the lift from arcs 2000 (can’t remember it’s name) it has a conveyor belt that transports the droppings ( snigger) into a room behind the toilet. Couldn’t help but climb up to look in the window to see what was going on in the room, nothing but a pile of ####

Edit: top of the varet lift

gallowayboy

YGM

ampthill

My knowledge here is limited. But what you are describing/want isn’t a composting toilet. As Matt describes you just want a toilet that can be emptied

We stayed in houses in Norway that had different approaches to the problem

One was a sort of chair frame where you hung a plastic bag. Each user added a new bag.

The other was weird. It looked like a sort of normal toilet but it turned out that the waste just sat in a holder in the base. It had a small fan and low power heater that evaporated the liquid part of waste, minimising volume

I think this website describes what i mean

http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletcua.html

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Gallowayboy would you mind emailing me the links too please ? Email in profile many thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Composting toilet in remote location’ is closed to new replies.