Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Components for trail-bike?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

So, almost settled on what 150-160mm trail/enduro bike I’ll be getting, and just a few components left to choose, so figured may as well lump them all together in one thread.

Want to be able to use the bike for XC, DH, Alps trips, hux2flat, so basically strong gear, but light enough. Cost is an issue too, I’m trying to build a nice bike, but can’t go too nuts.

So, components.

1. Crank arms – will be run singlering (but want the option of running double/ring later), and with pushfit BB, so must be compatible with that.

Currently thinking new style XTs, but anything else worth considering around that price range? How tough are the XTs- they don’t have pedal inserts do they? I’m looking for something a little flashier than SLXs.

2. Handlebars – OS, around 740mm at least. Thinking of trying carbon as I get major finger pains and heard about CFs ability to reduce trail buzz. This means I don’t want super stiff bars though as that would negate any benefits. If the effect is not that great I’ll just get ali bars.

Currently thinking Raceface SixCs as my mate rates them, but they’re pricey, any other options to consider?

3. Stem – Before I settle on something flash like a Thomson, I’d like to try something cheaper incase I want to change length. OS, 1 1/8th steerer, around 50mm Id say to start. Nukeproof Warhead?

4. Chainring – Cheap, light, durable, 34T, black? Ran e.13 G-Rings in the past, but anything better these days?

5. Chainguide – ISCG 05 I think, would rather not run a bash, so just a taco.

Maybe a MRP Mini G2 SL? Quite pricey though, how are the Superstars? They don’t have a taco though.. Guess there’s the standard e.13L LG1+, Gamut, Straitline etc etc.

6. Not going to mention tyres yet… (but really, what would you be happy riding on trail centre hardpack, but also loose muddy DH stuff, as well as rocky Peaks stuff?)

Sorry there’s a lot, and some of the requirements may be a bit “moon on a stick-ish”, but any help/recommendations would be great.

Ta, Duane

(If anyone has anything for sale they think I might be interested in, let me know!)

james
    Free Member

“hux2flat”
    How big?
    and onto what surface? concrete/tarmac or not?

Was going to say XT over SLX could be a bit pointless, especially if you’re not going to use the shimano rings. I don’t know what the weight difference is on 2012/2013 stuff but the difference between the previous gen. SLX/XT wasn’t mucg and afaik a lot was in the chainrings
    If you’re willing to pay out for flashier then fair enough, but imo I’m struggling to see why XT is flashier than SLX (don’t really see either as)
    For big Hucks maybe some discounted FSA Gravitys. or some other DH/FR cranks that aren’t insanely heavy nor very expensive/nearly at full RRP
    More of a middleground, maybe the steel axle/pedal thread insert SLX/bash’s

“major finger pains “
    Have you tried playing with different angles of ‘roll’ in the stem you set the handlebar?
    Maybe something like a 745/750mm (can’t remember which they are) Bontrager Rhythm. Bikeradar said they can be a bit flexy compared to DH bars. I think they’re meant to be more of an AM/trail bar than DH

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

1. Worth looking at SRAM X9-not sure on pedal inserts but can run single bling ring, double or triple.
    2. Easton 35mm carbon bars? benefits of carbon, wide and very strong. Expensive though.
    3. Matching easton 35mm stem.
    4. MRP Bling ring? Renthal?
    5. Most are good. Superstar get mixed reviews. E13 works well for me as does various MRP’s.
    6. Hans Dampf? Conti Baron?

banks
    Free Member

sram x5 – proper cheap
    renthal bars/stem chainring
    ust rq’s

pretty much built for a battering

uselesshippy
    Free Member

+1 for the renthal bar and stem.
    The only ones worth considering.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Regarding hux2flat, was kinda tongue in cheek, but the bike will be subjected to sizeable gaps, roadgaps etc etc (this is me http://www.pinkbike.com/u/Laurence-CE/blog/Reunion–In-search-of-bangers.html), but still fairly smooth riding I guess.

X9 cranks look alright, pretty similar to XTs, will look into them.

I have SLX cranks on my hardtail (about to be sold), they’re great cranks, but I see the XTs as being somewhat a level up.

People recommending Renthal stems etc, please see the bit about not wanting to spend too much until I know what length I want.

What guides are there which run a taco rather than a bash? Is it just the MRP and the e.13?

Any thoughts on carbon bars then? Do they make a difference to trailbuzz? And yeah, I will be playing around with lever angles etc.

Ta, Duane.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

XT vs SLX not much in it for the price.
    Tyres – some minion 60a’s for the UK 2.5 ST’s for alps or 60a for cheaper option.
    Chain device have a look at e-13
    Easton Vice/Nukeproof Warhead bars are my combo – works well and bars come in yellow 🙂
    What wheels are you running?

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks.

For tyres, was thinking of something thinner/faster rolling. Had 2.35 Highrollers on my FR/DH bike, and 2.1/2.25 Crossmarks on XC/jump bike, so something inbetween would be great.

Wheels will be Flow EXs on Pro2s hopefully.

Northwind

Cranks- you need a very good reason not to buy Shimano, they’re excellent and they’re not expensive.

Tyres… TBh there’s no one killer tyre, so it makes sense to have a couple of options. Ardent is probably a good call for “between a highroller and a crossmark”, but it’ll struggle with UK mud (clears very well mind but doesn’t have a massive amount of grip). Advantage is slightly nobblier.

I think personally i could be happy with a Conti Baron on the front (mud biased) or Spesh Butcher (absolutely everything else). On the back, maybe a deknobbled Nevegal but they’re not the toughest, or the Ardent or Advantage 2.25.

But tyres, well, ask 5 people and you’ll get 10 answers.

andrewh
    Free Member

1. Middleburn RS8 X-Type. Easy to swap spiders around for single/double/triple if required.
    2. Don’t know, never tried any OS ones.
    3. If you are just trying it get on fleabay and buy cheap s/h one, then sell back to fleabay for very little loss when Thomson is purchased.
    4. Blackspire Superpro
    5. Don’t know, I have a BB-mounted one.
    6. All-round but mainly rocky. Try Maxxis Advantage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the weight have a look at Mavic XM 719’s for the rims as an option. Making a similar choice here and going for those over the Stans. Dropping from EX721’s

And the EXO sidewalls will help for the tyres

Northwind

719s are only 15g each less than a Flow Ex but you’re giving up strength, width and tubelessreadyness.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Bars – Easton Carbon Havens or Havocs if you want wider – not much better really.
    Stem – Easton Havoc are my choice every time, strong and reasonably light.
    Everything else though I went XO as I could afford to splash out this time.

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers.

Think I’ve settled on an LG1+ for the guide.

I’ve heard Haven bars are actually too stiff? People going back to standard OS.

Ardents are looking tempting for tyres, I don’t ride thaaat much in proper thick mud, so might be good.

Northwind

Haven is 31.8, ie old oversized. The Havoc comes in 35mm and 31.8mm.

(There seems to be a wee bit of an anti-35mm backlash going on, from people who bought a bar advertised as stiff, which turned out to be stiff 😉 )

TBH Haven’s a perfectly good, sturdy bar- supposedly just as strong as the old Monkeylite DH, and so far things that have failed to kill my Monkeylite DHs include falling out of the sky after a chairlift mishap 😆

GaryLake
    Free Member

Tyres, Hans Dampfs without question… genuinely do most things very well and are even half decent in real mud. You’ll find quicker tyres but they’ll be much less grippier. Very good trade off of grip and rolling speed.

legend
    Free Member

1. Yeah will do the job nicely, better than SLX though? Probably not (I’ve got XTs)

2. & 3. Funn Fatboy bars with a Rippa 2 or Funnduro stem perhaps. I;ve got Fatboy bars on the DH bike and think I prefer them to the Havens on the Five (Havens are only 711mm too)
    4. Take your pick according to size/price

5. E-13, MRP, Straitline, Gamut, etc all make nice kit. Not sold on the Superstar one.

6. These will be your biggest compromise. Minions for DH, but you’ll probably appreciated something faster rolling elsewhere. Minion front, Advantage rear works as a good alrounder for me.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’d personally avoid an LG1+… the taco fell off mine, taking the pulley with it, all without me even knowing, so it was lost forever.

If it was my money, I’d look at the Blackspire offering… also has the advantage of no moving parts, so no bearings to replace:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81181

Cranks wise, SLX with the steel inserts is a no brainer really.

Bontrager Rhythm Pro stem is a beaut and weighs nothing, or for a proper bargain, Funnduro:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80880

messiah
    Free Member

Secondhand xtr crank
    Gusset staff stem
    Mtzoom/kinesis-strutt/exotic 740mm carbon bars
    silent guide – or any guide with NO moving parts
    Rubber queens

Northwind

XTR cranks aren’t all that IME… I’ve got 2 of ’em, and they’re nice and all but they’re not substantially lighter than XT. It’s the chainrings that make a difference, and they’re very expensive so it’s not a permanent improvement. Wouldn’t really miss them

MountainMutant
    Free Member

If you need pedals I’m selling some DMR v12

Duane…
    Free Member

Jive, that’s odd, read lots of excellent reviews for the LG1+.

Need fancy rings for XTR, although they are nice. Think I’m going to end up with XTs.

Those Hans Dampfs look pretty draggy (and that’s what some reviews say). I’m happy to loose a bit of grip if it means they’refaster rolling (drifting’s fun anyway right?).

MM, need pedals, but won’t be getting V12s I’m afraid!

Still undecided on whether carbon bars are worth it (for reducing hand pain)..

Northwind

You can be cool like me and have XTR arms with deore steel chainrings. Makes weightweenies throw up in their mouths.

Duane…
    Free Member

I thought XTR had a odd BCD?

Northwind

Nah, well, don’t know about newer ones but M970 has standard BCD but an odd offset on the granny ring, needs spacers to get the chainlines right. Older XTR was a bit wackier.

james
    Free Member

“have SLX cranks on my hardtail (about to be sold), they’re great cranks, but I see the XTs as being somewhat a level up”
    How so though?

“719s are only 15g each less than a Flow Ex but you’re giving up strength, width and tubelessreadyness”
    Width is the big one for me. They’re okay (much better than XC717s) but 2.25″/2.5″ Maxxis I find feel a bit narrow on XM719’s. Definetly wouldn’t want to run anything bigger
    Just got some (21mm) Arch EX so will see how I get on

Duane…
    Free Member

Dunno, probably just a subconscious thing.. wasn’t the SLX the tough version of LX though?

Northwind

All gets a bit complicated tbh. SLX replaced LX and Hone, which were more or less the same thing but painted differently- but to most people Hone was rufty tufty stuff and LX was cheap XC stuff. Not sure if this is Shimano’s brand positioning or if it’s something unplanned. (and now LX is back to being a touring groupo)

But anyway- SLX arms are IIRC about 35g heavier than XT, wee bit more if you’ve got the ones with the pedal inserts- which should be more durable, but in practice only seems to be a thing for most people if someone crossthreads them. But they do pretty much the same job.

Duane…
    Free Member

Ah OK yeah, makes sense. Got a set of XTs on the way anyway 🙂

Duane…
    Free Member

OK, been looking a bit more at carbon bars;
    SixC – too stiff
    Havens – only 711mm wide (I want at least 740)
    Havoc – might be the ones, although heard they’re quite stiff?
    Enve – expensive
    Syntace – hard to get in UK

raisinhat
    Free Member

I think Havoc carbons would be the one’s to go for. I’ve got the aluminium ones and they’re a nice shape and are solid without being too harsh, so I can only imagine the carbon ones being even better. Dirt put them in the 100 this year and last year, so out of all the carbon bars to go for they should be decent.

Honestly though, I think at best a carbon bar is just going to mute the vibrations a touch. For real dampening you’d get more out of something like a set of ESI grips or some soft renthal slip ons.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks, Havocs are looking good at the moment.

Yeah, not expecting them to do much, but if the bars, grips and sus setup each do a bit, might make a difference. I hope.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Components for trail-bike?’ is closed to new replies.