• This topic has 44 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Complete mental inertia
  • FuzzyWuzzy

I sometimes think my most developed skill is procrastination, often I’ll just put stuff off for no good reason even though I know I’m just screwing myself over (more work tomorrow/next week/next month depending on how much I procrastinate…). I’m currently 3 weeks behind in producing a design for a project that’s already being deployed (it’s all in my head/made up on the fly…).

STW doesn’t help either, I often read threads that I know won’t affect me in anyway (e.g. I don’t own, and likely never will, a wood burning stove but I know about the pros and cons of different flues and have admired various images of stacks of logs).

I think fundamentally it’s because I’m not motivated by my job and very little of it is interesting to me anymore, that coupled with a lack of self-discipline means I’m probably not as productive as I should be…

My job has also changed to where as before I could focus on one or more projects (and be hands-on) I’m now just supposed to know about every project and be able to answer questions from PMs and assist with issues at the drop of a hat. Some days my head’s spinning by the time I go home yet I don’t really think I’ve achieved anything, just been an information middleman mostly.

Still, it could be worse, although I work on secure projects I have a separate air-gapped PC with Internet access. Some people on even-more-secure projects aren’t even allowed a mobile phone in the office let alone Internet access, I do wonder sometimes how they fill their time :p

thecaptain
    Free Member

^ you need to sort that stove problem out!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

dad, is that you?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjPDbdOgrxY[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

5 to 4. 3:55pm… 15:55… don’t tell me this is your most productive time of the day too??
    Document to write, open Word, stuff… lunch… stuff… 5 mins to 4 .. oh yeah Word! I’ sure I wasn’t always this way.

think fundamentally it’s because I’m not motivated by my job and very little of it is interesting to me anymore, that coupled with a lack of self-discipline means I’m probably not as productive as I should be…
    Amen.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Complete mental inertia’ is closed to new replies.