Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Complete gear outer query
  • 4130soul
    Free Member

Ive just got a frame which has full outer gear cable routing as opposed to the ‘old style’ with sections where the inner shows.

ive used Avid / SRAM flak jackets for years as they are simply the best set up available, but i just noticed that they say that they are not ‘full outer’ compatible…

i cannot get my head around why this would be??? surely the tensions is held at the shifter and the mech and as long as the outer cable is secured to the frame then there should be no problems

or am i missing something?

any ideas or clarification???

clubber
    Free Member

Is that caveat on the packaging? If so, it probably just means that there’s not enough outer in the pack for a full outer set up.

4130soul
    Free Member

It doesnt say so on the packaging, it mentions it on a certain websites blurb.

you get about a mile and a halfs worth of cable so length should not be an issue (thats always my excuse anyway)

julianwilson
    Free Member

…i remember reading somewhere about the possible danger if your rear mech hanger breaks off and puts the mech in your spokes, and then the full outer whipping your handlebars around. I am not sure what the chances are of that ever happening, but i wonder if it is a liability thing, ie “don’t sue us if that happens”.

Some of the legalese on bike stuff is well silly. Last week I took the huge chunky OS stem off that came on my commencal maxmax jump bike, to find a sticker saying it was not suitable for jumps, stunts, downhill or aggressive XC.

4130soul
    Free Member

True,

I remember my mate telling my about the sticker on his Demo8 advising him that it was not designed for ‘off-road’ use or somesuch….A mountain bike, thats not designed to be ridden on mountains???

so, on a technical note there should be no reason it would not work, its just a liability thing?

tinsy
    Free Member

I find cheapo full length outer cables as good as expensive 3 peice cables were, could you just run the cheap stuff and save some money?

In answer to your question, maybe its beacause they believe the cable might drag in a full length outer making it stiff in action, or too much for the mech to pull?

4130soul
    Free Member

I’ll give the cheap stuff a go and see how i get on, the reason i used to use flak jackets was because you could ride in any condition and still have perfect shifting but if im running fully covered it wont be an issue

cheers chaps (and chapesses if applicable)

takisawa2

if your rear mech hanger breaks off and puts the mech in your spokes, and then the full outer whipping your handlebars around

That “could” happen whether you’ve full length outer’s or not.
    (Inner cable, attached at both ends…)

The XT outer cable that CRC sell by the metre is pretty good.
    I’ve full-length’ed a few bikes now & that stuff works just fine.
    I use it every time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Complete gear outer query’ is closed to new replies.