Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Complete fixed road bike – £700 limit
  • higgo
    Free Member

I’ve lashed together a fixie and enjoy it. Not something I’ll ride all the time but I think I like it enough to have a ‘proper’ one.

I’ll be getting it through our company bike to work scheme. I’ve not used it before but think it had to be through Halfords but not limited to their retail range. Also there’s a limit of £700 which I don’t think can be topped up.

So what’s out there.

MrSmith
    Free Member

condor pista.

psychle
    Free Member

Agreed, don’t think you could do much better than that 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

That was my first thought but it’s now £799 I think.

gingerflash

I really like the Specialized Langsters in the Martini racing colours.

The Giant Bowery looks good too.

For the proper retro look, I think the BIanchi Pista is great.

snotrag

The Martini Langster and the Giant Bowery are both corking looking bikes. How much do either of the Charge Plugs come in at?

MrNutt
    Free Member

what the hell is wrong with you people?!? do you live in a land of polished concrete? don’t you own a pair of boot cut jeans?!?

…erm, can I have a go please?

MrSmith
    Free Member

the condor rides better than any of the above. you should be able to order one through a bikehut. they will fit the correct length stem and bar width too.
    worth the extra dosh.

GJP
    Free Member

Pearson Touche is less than £700. I think it is only £600. Don’t know whether Halfords will be able to source one or not though.

barca
    Free Member

I have the spesh Langster Monaco (as pictured above). I swapped the brakes over to drop brakes rather than the bar tops and I took the rubbish Keiran grips off and put some blue flower embossed bar tape on but other than that, it’s as standard. I like it but it does get a lot of attention which I’m not so keen on. It’s a bugger to keep clean though and the gearing is a bit spinny outie.

alpin
    Free Member

that bianchi is lovely…..

gingerflash

I just love the paint job on the Langster.

ourmaninthenorth

Genesis (or maybe Ridgeback – not sure) Solo. Two hand brakes, full guards, rack mounts. Perfect for riding all year. Less than your £700 budget.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i always liked the look of the cannondale capo’s in red/yellow

but that just because i own a cannondale road bike.

that martini langseter is luverly!!!!!!!!!!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

How much do either of the Charge Plugs come in at?

Judging from the weight they appear to made of pig iron. I’d avoid myself…

I’ve had a Condor Pista for 4 or 5 years now. Does the job flawlessly – got mine through B2W too. I’ll second Gary’s comment about getting it fitted right. Also the wheels have been top notch – I’ve not been gentle with them, hit some pretty nasty potholes full tilt etc, and they’re not even 1mm out of true.

hora
    Free Member

You could build your own for £700??? Planet X are offering some Italian SS frames (or their own), wheels- I have Velocity hubs on Omega rims…i.e discreet (£120). Then the other bits would come in cheaper. Alot nicer IMO and you dont have OEM wheels etc?

ourmaninthenorth

Er, hora, you’ve given him the wrong link. That’s to the road frames. The track version is £800….

hora
    Free Member

HOW MUCH? WTF. Still, there will be other frames that have horizontal dropouts etc.

higgo
    Free Member

Hora – You could build your own for £700???

Probably but I wouldn’t get it through B2W. Our scheme is pretty rigidly managed and it’s £700 max and complete bikes only.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Genesis (or maybe Ridgeback – not sure) Solo. Two hand brakes, full guards, rack mounts. Perfect for riding all year. Less than your £700 budget.

Ridgeback Solo or Genesis Flyer. Both come with a flip flop hub so you can run either single speed freewheel or fixed. Solo is slightly more relaxed geometry and has guards.

thumbie
    Free Member

Got the Bianchi Pista myself…..lovely bit of kit for the cash. I just changed the bars for some Nitto Randoneur & had a front brake fitted. I know fixies attract a fair amount of stick on here but I fancied one & have no regrets. Nothing like a bit of variety, in fact had a blast on the singletrack this morning on the hardtail, came home & had another ride of the fixed.

Not sure if you will find the Pista now though – ? discontinued.

Bloke at work bought the Giant Bowery to try out fixed after having a spin on mine……he loves that to bits too & again very reasonably priced.

Good luck……

higgo
    Free Member

Kona Paddy Wagon?

john_l
    Free Member

Condor Pista

Morgan
    Free Member

Kinsis Convert (if the cable-stops wouldn’t bother you)

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=wpspfr&preview=1&_x=1%23/page0/

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Man! you must have the new Flyer, have you seen that colour!!! White carbon forks and a 531 frame. fr-fr-fresh!!!

ilikebikes
    Free Member

I have just ordered a Condor Potanza, it’s better looking than this years Pista and all steel which is a bonus.

higgo
    Free Member

Has anybody got anything bad to say about the Kona Paddy Wagon?
    I think I may be leaning that way.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Complete fixed road bike – £700 limit’ is closed to new replies.