Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Compensation for VW owners
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Following on from the emmissions scandal it looks like VW owners are in for a substantial payout in compensation

What exactly are they getting compensated for exactly? Surely VW cheating the test has saved them cash due to reduced costs of running a ‘low emmision’ car. Will road tax and parking costs be rising as a result of their true emmissions coming to light, and this will be to offset those costs?

If not then surely its everyone who doesn’t own a VW who should be compensated….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Has there actually been a detrimental effect in sell on price? I haven’t noticed tbh….

poah
    Free Member

claiming the car was not fit for sale due to the higher levels of nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide emissions

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Okay, so what is the actual loss that they are claiming for?.

johnners
    Free Member

Okay, so what is the actual loss that they are claiming for?

While I accept that all manufacturers game the tests I think VW owners may have a claim for extra fuel costs where the ECU’s deliberate switch to “test mode” exaggerated the mpg figures they could reasonably have expected in normal use. That seems likely to be a pretty minor sum even when you take into account any knock-on effect on resale value.
    Plus the government should be hitting VW with a claim for lost VED and harmful effects of NOx, though that last one would probably be a bit embarrassing to pursue.

somouk
    Free Member

Following on from the emmissions scandal it looks like VW owners are in for a substantial payout in compensation

Where is the VW statement on this referring to the UK?

They’ve not broken any laws or avoided any tests in the UK, it only affected US tests as far as I’m aware so I doubt very much they will be giving out any form of compensation.

siwhite
    Free Member

US owners are in line for approximately 8k (can’t recall if that was £ or $) whereas UK owners get a software update and a free coffee at their local VW dealer.

I own an affected car, and don’t consider compensation is necessary. However, if they fancy giving me a four figure sum I’d not turn it down…

revs1972
    Free Member

The hot chococlate is quite nice

scotroutes

Says on the BBC website that owners in Spain got €5,000 compensation. I’d have assumed that the same EU-wide laws applied.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I own an affected car, and don’t consider compensation is necessary. However, if they fancy giving me a four figure sum I’d not turn it down…

I own an affected engine too. I’d see it as a show of good faith, especially as our US cousins have been compensated, and even had their cars bought back by VW. At this point I’d not touch a VAG car again, but bribery and corruption could alter that view.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Says on the BBC website that owners in Spain got €5,000 compensation. I’d have assumed that the same EU-wide laws applied.

I expect the Brexiteers not to accept compensation as a matter of honour then.

siwhite
    Free Member

At this point I’d not touch a VAG car again, but bribery and corruption could alter that view.

Conversely, I’d quite happily have another VW.

Presumably, VW would want to see some proof that you actually owned an affected vehicle at a certain date (before the emissions story broke…?) before they wrote you a cheque.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As I understand it, this story is almost an advert to join a group litigation order against VW they even make claims of “a few thousand per owner”. It’ll be up to the lead Solicitors to decide on the justification for the claim.

I’ve got one, I don’t think if I was called to give evidence I could justifiably say I’ve faced at sort of loss over it. I was completely naive about the Nitrogen Dioxide emissions, Co2 yes as that’s the emission we’re told about and taxed on, I don’t think it’s effected the value of my Car, I see no evidence for that and it’s been faultless.

What VW did was very wrong, and the environment has suffered, but that effects everyone not just owners – the right ‘punishment’ for VW should really be a fine and the money going to the Treasury, if they chose to spend it on environmental projects, great, but in an age of austerity I couldn’t complain if they didn’t.

globalti
    Free Member

My brother in the USA was given a $1000 bung by VW to persuade him to agree not to join one of two class actions. which are probably still going on. But Americans are far more litigious than Brits. In the end nothing has changed for him; his old Jetta diesel has done 200,000 miles and is sitting outside his house awaiting sale while he enjoys his new gasoline-engined DSG Golf.

headfirst
    Free Member

My Passat is too old to be affected. Can I claim compensation for the emotional distress of not being able to claim compensation?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Out of interest (and not fishing for a bite), why?

What VW did was very wrong…

That’s the bottom line, and that’s what annoys me: “We screwed up, we did what most other car companies are doing, but we got caught. It’s OK though, we’ve sort out a remap that negatively affects your car’s performance, and because we’re nice you won’t have to pay for it and we’ll even give you a certificate. We’ll also give you a cup of coffee! Oh, and sorry and all that.”

Purely from a personal point of view, I feel I’ve been deliberately mislead and don’t feel that anything has been done to rectify that other than a few creeping apologetic letters.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got a MY14 Passat Bluemotion, which has now had the software fix.
    It is a company car so I assume any compensation will go to the legal owner (the lease company) 🙁

P-Jay
    Free Member

That’s the bottom line, and that’s what annoys me: “We screwed up, we did what most other car companies are doing, but we got caught. It’s OK though, we’ve sort out a remap that negatively affects your car’s performance, and because we’re nice you won’t have to pay for it and we’ll even give you a certificate. We’ll also give you a cup of coffee! Oh, and sorry and all that.”

Purely from a personal point of view, I feel I’ve been deliberately mislead and don’t feel that anything has been done to rectify that other than a few creeping apologetic letters.

Few things…

Most other makers weren’t doing it, it was their disbelief that VAG could do it without a AdBlue system that gave them away.

The remap doesn’t seem to effect anything, they’re incredibly vague about what it does, rumour has it the remap only removes the cheat code, which is kind of pointless, but there you go. I’m surprised none of the Mags have done a before and after test, rolling road etc but I guess if they ever want a VAG group car to test again they’ll be told to lay off.

I think you can only really claim to be mislead if you honestly considered the Cars Nitrogen emissions before you bought it, 99.9% of people in the EU didn’t as our legislation and taxation centred around CO2 which is unaffected.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I own one of the affected 1.6 diesels. I can’t say, other than half a day of my wife’s time to take it back to the dealer if we ever get sent the letter saying our fix is ready, that it has negatively impacted us at all.

I’d have another VAG group car, I like them, the Skodas we have represent great value for money and they work well.

scotroutes

the Skodas we have represent great value for money and they work well.

Remind us of the time you had to call the Fire Brigade….

Nico
    Free Member

But Americans are far more litigious than Brits

Particularly when they have been sold a car which “cheats” the emissions tests of their country/state and the Brits haven’t.

Interestingly, given that US emissions tests on NOx are much more stringent than ours, do our cars meet US standards even though they needn’t? That would be nice.

parkesie
    Free Member

Theres no compensating for some vag drivers

digga
    Free Member

parkesie – Member

Theres no compensating for some vag drivers Quite. All I did was buy a good spec van with decent residuals and I’m suddenly, somehow part of some hipster, ego-chariot cult.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s OK though, we’ve sort out a remap that negatively affects your car’s performance,

No it doesn’t.

I’d quite happily buy another VW too. Why? Cos they’re decent cars. Really don’t give a toss about the rest of it.

This sort of thing really puts me off the compensation though – “Volkswagen will face a lawsuit launched by owners in the UK, with ten thousand VW owners represented by law firm Harcus Sinclair. ” tossers.

globalti
    Free Member

Will they also sue VW for the biros they need to fill in the compo forms?

downshep

When my Skoda was reset, I was worried there may be a drop in either performance or economy. Neither has occurred, it drives / consumes exactly as before and the value is unaffected.

The ‘cheat’ activated when the car ecu knew it was being tested, presumably; in neutral, bonnet open, engine revs set? Sure, it gave false figures in those specific circumstances but no-one ever replicates that in real life. They were naughty and got caught but it makes not one jot of difference to any owner now seeking compensation.

Obviously if they thrust money in my sweaty palm, I’ll not say no but the whole things stinks of lawyers chasing a soft target for an easy percentage.

joefm

Surely the only compensation to be paid should be to the tax man if the VED was less than what it should have been?

Nico
    Free Member

Surely the only compensation to be paid should be to the tax man if the VED was less than what it should have been?

which it wasn’t because VED is based on CO2, not NOx.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s OK though, we’ve sort out a remap that negatively affects your car’s performance…

No it doesn’t.

I’d argue it does. There’s less torque at the lower end of the rev range, which arguably is where the strength of running a turbo diesel lies. Or, to put it another way, will require more aggressive driving to get similar performance. The difference may be small, but it appears there is one.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/412053-diesel-engines-fix-recall/?p=4780006

As said above though, it’s interesting the car mags haven’t done a before/after test yet. Would make interesting reading.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interestingly, given that US emissions tests on NOx are much more stringent than ours, do our cars meet US standards even though they needn’t?

Not in general, but in some cases I think so.

They have different petrol and different requirements, so they are at least set up differently if not completely different units, as far as I know.

Their NOx emission limits meant that European diesels couldn’t be sold at all between 1997 and something like 2008 (not sure). I think it was these tests that forced them to develop SCR engines (AdBlue) which were then released here. Those might not have been developed if it weren’t for their attempts in the US market – maybe.

DezB
    Free Member

it’s interesting the car mags haven’t done a before/after test yet. Would make interesting reading.

Maybe they have, but “no difference” wasn’t worth publishing …

No performance change between before and after the “fix” was the statement that jumped out at me on the Skoda forum. Not a page I’m going to dwell on…. 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not a page I’m going to dwell on….

😆

CountZero

Out of interest (and not fishing for a bite), why?

Why not? As others have quite clearly pointed out, this is a fishing excercise by lawyers, who, like the PPI chasing companies, will take a big chunk of any compensation they may obtain.
    The whole VW cheat thing was specifically about NOX, which isn’t part of EU legislation, so it can’t possibly affect any VW car sold in Europe and the UK.
    Any ‘fix’ that might, possibly, affect some cars adversely, is likely to be within a range of variations that naturally occurs in production cars.
    I’ve got a VAG car, a Skoda, that’s far too old to be included. Even if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t give a toss, although if a cheque appeared in the post I wouldn’t rip it up, neither would I refuse to buy another VAG car; that’s just being plain daft.

totalshell

i have an affected skoda so far we ve had three letters expressing sorrow and lack of solution.

in Ohio my old school friend has had his car returned to the dealer with 26000 miles on it and they gave him the full purchase price back PLUS another 8000 cheque.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

As others have quite clearly pointed out, this is a fishing excercise by lawyers..

Because VW deliberately lied on a global scale.

The whole VW cheat thing was specifically about NOX, which isn’t part of EU legislation, so it can’t possibly affect any VW car sold in Europe and the UK.

And is highly polluting. They also still lied about the NOX levels emitted, whether it’s part of EU legislation or not. It also does affect cars in the UK – VW would like to remap my car’s engine.

Any ‘fix’ that might, possibly, affect some cars adversely, is likely to be within a range of variations that naturally occurs in production cars.

Can you back that up? The torque charts I’ve seen are markedly different.

Even if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t give a toss…

Fair enough.

neither would I refuse to buy another VAG car; that’s just being plain daft.

Why is refusing to buy a product from a company who have lied on a global scale daft, especially when there are equally good alternatives out there?

ctk
    Free Member

I’d want a full refund (not joking)

retro83
    Free Member

Shame they’re not compensating everyone else. It’s not the drivers who breathe in the nox their cars have been belching out.

simmy
    Free Member

My mate bought a car just as the scandal broke and specifically asked the salesman if it was affected and was told no.

A while later, a letter from VW UK arrived which told him the salesman is a liar.

He’s not had it in for the fix yet but if I was him, I’d be more bothered about the terms of his PCP which only allows 9k per year on a Diesel. Personally, with the lying salesman and the low contract milage, I think he has been missold the car.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Within the EU, the fix removes code that never got used and didn’t affect any EU regulatory figures.

The US, where the fix was required to make the cars pass the emissions tests, it’s a different story.

Del

why the remap then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Compensation for VW owners’ is closed to new replies.