Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Compatibility of SRAM Rival 1 shifter with rear mechs & cassettes ?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

If a single front chainring bike has a 11 speed SRAM Rival 1 shifter and as stock comes with a SRAM Rival 1 rear derailleur in medium cage length & 11/32t cassette.

If i wanted to extend the gear range to a 11/40t cassette, can i use a MTB cassette?

I’d need a long cage mech to handle the capacity, can i use a Shimano M8000 rear mech? or do i have to stick with Rival 1?

Another option could be a SRAM 11/36t cassette & a smaller front ring.

I’m aware there are compatibility issues around road/mtb drive chain, if someone can spell it out for me, that’d be great.

What i’d like to do would be use the Rival 1 shifter with a Shimano wide range (11/40) MTB cassette & either a SRAM or Shimano long cage mech – or any other method to achieve this.

Ta

ampthill

My memory is that SRAM is completely compatible road and MTB. So yes just use an SRAM MTB mech’.

You’ll see loads gravel bikes that are 1×11 and 1 42 for sale is that reassures you

qwerty
    Free Member

So yes just use an SRAM MTB mech

😀

qwerty
    Free Member

Will a MTB 11 speed cassette work with 11 speed Rival 1 shifters ❓

ampthill

Will a MTB 11 speed cassette work with 11 speed Rival 1 shifters

Yes

qwerty
    Free Member

wzzzz
    Free Member

Use a sram long cage mech.

The sram rival 1 medium cage won’t handle 10-42, you need long. I tried it.

Ideally get a sram 1 long cage mech – NX is the cheapest, just put an inline cable adjuster somewhere.

discoverybmw
    Free Member

I’m running a Sram rival medium cage rear mech with an XT 40 tooth cassette on my CX bike and all works perfectly, the cassette needs a spacer behind it, from memory I think it was 1.85mm.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Looking at doing this on my commuter thank for the OP and posters for the info.
    Well looking Sram GX 2×10 with a PG1050 11-36T cassette to replace my SRAM Apex set up atm 12-28T as it’s cheaper than the “climber kit” and got a bigger ring.
    Cheers, Steve

qwerty
    Free Member

discoverybmw

I’m running a Sram rival medium cage rear mech with an XT 40 tooth cassette on my CX bike and all works perfectly

This sounds great. Will save on buying a new rear mech.

qwerty
    Free Member

discoverybmw

the cassette needs a spacer behind it, from memory I think it was 1.85mm.

I’m guessing that depends on the freehub?

discoverybmw
    Free Member

My understanding of it is that an 11 speed road freehub is slightly wider than an MTB 11 spd freehub hence the spacer, my freehub was the standard 11 spd road one on a specialized crux if that helps…..

ralo9988
    Free Member

I have Stam forxe 1 middle cage and was trying to ser it up with a shimano m8000 11-40 but the cage was completely extended when it was on the 40t sprocket. What I have to do to set it up? I am running a 46t ring

ralo9988
    Free Member

Sorry meant to say Sram* Force*

mboy
    Free Member

Medium cage is ok with up to a 36T large sprocket. To run a 40, 42 or even bigger, you need the long cage mech I’m afraid!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Using a hydro Rival shifter and long rear mech with a 42 cassette and 44T chainring.

Miss the close jumps but less faffing without a front mech.

qwerty
    Free Member

Medium cage is ok with up to a 36T large sprocket. To run a 40, 42 or even bigger, you need the long cage mech I’m afraid!

Booo – i’m hoping that discoverybmw has it correct. I’ll find out tomorrow if my cassette comes in.

allyharp

I run a Rival (10 speed) shifter with a long cage X7 mech and a (Shimano) 10-36 cassette.

It shifts better than the Rival mech and 11-28 cassette.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ok, so, SRAM Rival 1 medium cage rear derailleur does NOT have the capacity to cope with an 11-40 cassette, chain sloppy. I need a LONG cage.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Ideally get a sram 1 long cage mech – NX is the cheapest, just put an inline cable adjuster somewhere

I must apologise this is WRONG.

Sram 11 MTB has different pull to Sram 11 road so an 11 MTB mech will not work with 11 Rival shifters.

A Sram 10 MTB rear mech should work with sram 11 road shifters, but sometimes they can’t extend far enough for the extra cog apparently.

Ioneonic

I get flawless shifting from 11 speed Rival 1 shifter, 10-42 cassette and NX rear mech.
    Same set up with Rival rear mech on the other bike and I can’t tell the difference in shifting between the two.

discoverybmw
    Free Member

Questioning my own set up now?? Measured the Rival 1 mech cage, 75mm from centre to centre which I believe confirms it to be a mid cage, as I said earlier all works fine with an XT 40 tooth cassette, admittedly set up by my local bike shop not me!!!

FOG

I have had problems getting 2x Rival 11spd to play nicely with a 36 cassette and a medium derailleur. Today the wheel nearly chewed the derailleur and I had to do some hand straightening to get home.
    The derailleur is kaput, what now? MTB derailleur, 11 or 10? A long cage Rival even though Sram say this only works with 1x? I have spoken to others who have made 2x Rival work with 36 cassette , where am I going wrong?

FOG

A bump for this, I am really puzzled as what to do!

discoverybmw
    Free Member

According to the specs on the Whyte website their Gisburn “gravel bike” is running a 11-42 cassette with a SRAM force mid cage rear mech, just to add to the confusion?

onandon
    Free Member

It’s the length of mech hanger.
    One of my builds was fine with a rival 10 medium mech and a 32 cassette. I shifted the whole lot to another frame and the top jockey wheel hit the largest sprocket regardless of how I set it up.
    Swapped to force cx1 mech to resolve the issue

FOG

I think this is certainly my problem.To extend the mech hanger I have bought a Lindarets Road Link which although advertised as Shimano only has a proviso in the small print that it ‘will work with SRAM but is optimised for Shimano”.
    I will report back when I have had time to fit it.

Ioneonic

I get flawless shifting from 11 speed Rival 1 shifter, 10-42 cassette and NX rear mech.

Update: I checked both today and the NX mech does not shift as crisply as the Rival.

FOG

The Lindarets certainly improves the use of the biggest cog on the cassette but a strange problem still remains.
    When on the big ring at the front if you change towards the bigger cogs the chain jams around the bottom jockey wheel. Now I know you are not supposed to cross chain but you can usually actually make the change whether its good for the chain or not. I am beginning to wonder if I have at some point bent the derailleur !

wzzzz
    Free Member

Same set up with Rival rear mech on the other bike and I can’t tell the difference in shifting between the two.

Thats odd, I tried this exact setup myself and it didn’t work. 11 spd rival “x actuation” shifter 11spd nx “exact actuation” rear mech PG1150 10-42 cassette. First few cogs index but then chaos.

No surprise as “x actuation” pulls 3.48mm cable per click and “exact actuation” pulls 3.1mm per click. See http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Your setup shouldn’t work! Is your NX rear a 10 speed?!

wzzzz
    Free Member

I also tried:

11 spd rival “x actuation” shifter
    11 spd PG1150 10-42 cassette
    11 speed rival ONE “x actuation” 1x rear mech, medium cage (75mm between wheels)

With a standard hanger and the B tension all the way in the top jockey will hit the top 2 cogs, poor shifting and noise.

You can remove the black plastic spacer under the B tension screw and get enough so it plays nice on the work stand.

But the chain wrap on the 10T cog is terrible, 1/4 of the cog.

A Road link may well resolve, but I gave up bodging things and have ordered an Apex One long cage mech thats rated for 42t.

wzzzz
    Free Member

On my travels I also tried

11 spd rival “x actuation” shifter
    11 spd PG1150 10-42 cassette
    10 speed Sram X7 “x actuation” long cage mech (MTB)

This worked in lower cogs, however the mech didn’t have enough “throw” to get into the top cog! The 11spd cassette must be physically wider than 10spd and the X7 couldn’t make it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Lindarets website says the links are not compatible with SRAM mechs

but I gave up bodging things and got an Apex One long cage mech.

there comes a point when bodging is futile, i did it with hacked 7970 Di2 years ago, just a full on bodge, bike worked a lot better when i ditched it all and fitted everything from the same groupset

Ioneonic

It is strange indeed.

This is what I have, with SRAM 10-42 GX Cassette.
    SRAM Rival 1 DoubleTap Mechnical Shifters – Set 1×11-speed
    SRAM NX 1×11 X-HORIZON Rear Derailleur 11-speed – Black
    And it works fine on my Fargo. As I corrected myself.. not quite as nice as the Rival mech but not far off.

I got lucky I guess.. I had just assumed exact actuation was across the board at 11 speed as well.
    Fair to say if it gets trashed I’ll replace with a road derailleur.

wzzzz
    Free Member

All product on this page work together (although I found the x7 rear mech didn’t have enough range):
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/technologies/exact-actuation

but not interchangeable with products from this page:
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/technologies/x_actuation

As the cable pull is different.

Are you sure you don’t have any travel agents or custom mech pulleys in action?

Ioneonic

Yep certain. I built the bike myself. Badly but luckily as it turns out…

wzzzz
    Free Member

You routed the cable like this through the hole in the guide and round the back of the bolt or some other way?

Your mech should look this one.

Ioneonic

Yes cable is routed exactly the same way.

tweaked
    Free Member

I was so fed up with Rival. It wouldn’t shift up to the 42t and if it did the downshifting was horrendous or it didn’t go down at all. I frigged with it for hours, had it in a shop multiple times, tried new wheels, chains, cassettes etc etc. I also tried mtb GX deraileur and it turns out the mid-range is different, even though its supposed to be all 1:1.
    Yesterday I figured I’d google it one more time before I buy a shimano setup and found this thread.

I did what you guys suggested and put in a SPACER behind the cassette and that fixed it!! I actually works now.

So thanks for that simple suggestion.

Tomthebombhole
    Free Member

So people are we saying that a rival 1 shifter (x-actuation) Will work with a SRAM X1 rear mech (also x actuation) Cassette is 10-42 mtb Sram and mech would be long cage obviously.

Then put an inline cable adjuster near bars.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Compatibility of SRAM Rival 1 shifter with rear mechs & cassettes ?’ is closed to new replies.