• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Company imposing a "no holiday in June" condition – need to amend contract??
  • cheshirecat
    Free Member

Bit of a dull question. Company (medium sized multi-national) wants to impose a no holiday condition for June 2011 (end of financial year). I'm not hugely concerned, but it does impact potential holidays at half term. I could understand (perhaps) if I was in manufacturing or sales, but I'm not.

Question for HR people – does this constitute a change in conditions and require a new contract? I personally think it's just a bit arsey of them, considering we tend work and travel at weekends a few times per year.

Thoughts?

MSP

Completely unenforceable IMO. I don't even see that as something that could be forced through as a change of contract.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

do they have a good reason for it?

Normally holidays are taken at "mutual convenience" unless specified in your contract. If they have a good business reason then fair enough – unless it is going to make it difficult for everyone to get a summer holiday.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

do they have a good reason for it?

(end of financial year).

vinnyeh

If they want to do that, then there's not much you can do, except go along. You normally put in a holiday request, if they don't want to accept it, they don't have to.

Lots of companies have holiday restrictions- probably the most common around numbers off at Christmas or school holidays. This is just the same.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

No good reason that I can see. Our product area was 15% over target last year.

ojom
    Free Member

It's quite common in service based businesses to have holiday restrictions – i.e. catering and retail.

MSP

End of year is not a valid reason for that IMO, they have 12 months to plan and prepare for the end of year. If they tried to force through that change and you chalenged it at a tribunial or in court, they wouldn't stand a chance.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I take it you've just closed your accounts for FY 09/10? And maybe they want to improve on end of year activities for next year.

I could understand (perhaps) if I was in manufacturing or sales, but I'm not.

All hands on deck? If your not really required to help out at end of year, how valued is your position? I can't think of a function that would not be useful to have in case the shit hits the fan.

I think they are giving you a reasonable notice period, but why don't you speak to your manager/supervisor and ask them the reasons why. Also if you're not really bothered about it, what's the big deal then?

MSP

If they want to do that, then there's not much you can do, except go along. You normally put in a holiday request, if they don't want to accept it, they don't have to.

Lots of companies have holiday restrictions- probably the most common around numbers off at Christmas or school holidays. This is just the same.

Its not the same, this is a total block on holidays, not normal restrictions on everyone taking their holidays at the same time. And they are not allowed to refuse a holiday request without good reason.

uplink
    Free Member

Most companies have wording similar to "holidays to be taken at a mutually agreeable time"

br
    Free Member

What is the reason?

Is it that they are implementing a new system and need to get the year 'closed'?

Many years ago I worked at a large multinational that 'justified' its new systems by been able to report its account X days earlier – as this increased the 'confidence' that the markets had, which meant a lower level of risk, which meant lower finance costs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Company imposing a "no holiday in June" condition – need to amend contract??’ is closed to new replies.