Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Company Car Spouse Driving
  • D28boy
    Free Member

I had a Co car for about 4 years which was always insured for my wife to drive…I’ve now been told that to save costs only employees can drive it. What do you chaps think about this…Is it legal as it is obviously now very restrictive and a reduction of benefit?

druidh
    Free Member

Suck it up I’m afraid. I doubt your company has an obligation to provide transport for your spouse.

Dickyboy

ask them how much it would cost for your wife to be added to policy & offer to pay it?

sandwicheater

Coming from a fleet insurance background, we’ve a few underwriters that would restrict to employees only however, the majority will allow spouses with no additional loading provided clean licences etc.
    I’d ask your fleet manager to see if it’s OK just to add your spouse, I’m sure it would be OK.

Cougar

Varies from company to company IME.

As for “can they change it,” is it listed in the terms of your contract? Ie, does your contract say “will be provided with a company vehicle” or does it say “will be provided with a company vehicle including another named driver for personal use”? I suspect it’s the former, and I suspect therefore that you’ve got as much of a leg to stand on as you would if you didn’t like the new colour scheme in the staff toilets.

footflaps

Does seem very odd, I can’t imagine the named drivers add much to the premium, so the saving will be minimal.

I got rid of my car as Mrs FF has a company car and I’m insured to drive it.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s not necessarily just an insurance saving. Not allowing the spouse use of the car will also reduce its mileage, saving on depreciation, wear and servicing.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If that’s been the policy for a long time, then its perfectly arguable that it has become a T&C of employment through custom and practice!

konabunny
    Free Member

Z-11 – barrack law at its best!

rkk01
    Free Member

Unusual these days IMO.

These days, the tax implications of a Co car mean it should be viewed as “yours”. AFAIK, most Co insurance policies allow “anyone directed by the Co.”. So, if on site, I instruct a contractor to use my vehicle – covered.

project
    Free Member

Just think of it as one woman less on the road, driving a car she has no material intrest in, eg she doesnt pay insurance, road tax or fuel, or even need to buy ansd own the vehicle.

D28boy
    Free Member

Thanx for that “info” project…most helpful if not a little stupid

br
    Free Member

That’s unusual.

I remember when they started restricting younger drivers as the company I worked for said no one under 24, but spouses were exempt, and this was +20 years ago.

In your case I wouldn’t be happy, as suddenly you are paying tax for something you can’t really fully use – can you opt out, otherwise I’d be talking with HR.

footflaps

I did get Nortel’s pool car policy amended so that you need more than 1 days driving experience after rolling and writing off a 2 litre Cavalier the day after I passed my test…….

project
    Free Member

People who dont own a vehicle but rent or lease it dont look after it, thats a common rule of humanity, just look at the way comapny drivers drive, thats unless they have the firms name on the side.Then they suddenly take more care, as a phone call to theuir boss will usually result in a disciplinary.

footflaps

Mrs FF has to return her car in immaculate condition and is charged for any blemish – it goes straight back on the forecourt as nearly new. She’s only allowed to put on 7000 miles on each car, so we change every few months.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t think its that uncommon, i’ve had this ever since i’ve had company cars. Partners/spouse’s arn’t covered – everyone I know is in a similar situation.

However, that being said, i’m about to start a new new job next year that allows anyone with a full licence & my permission to drive my car.

Of course there is no harm in asking if they can cover your wife, but I certainly would be treading very carefully if you’re thinking of kicking off over it…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Is the company car’s purpose to allow you to carry out your job? If so, then as an employer I’d not let anyone else drive it!

Scamper
    Free Member

On my fleet policy not only can spouses drive company cars but anyone with the verbal permission of the policy holder ie me. There have been age restrictions on performance cars though.

Regarding the benefit in kind this will stay the same I’m afraid.

nealglover
    Free Member

My policy only lets named drivers drive my Work Vehicle and it costs £50 flat rate to add a driver. So it may be worth offering to cover the extra cost if its important to you ?

Although my policy does give me fully comprehensive cover to drive any vehicle up to a value of £350,000 that’s Taxed (independant of the owners insurance)

So it’s not exactly a standard policy 😉

spooky_b329

People who dont own a vehicle but rent or lease it dont look after it, thats a common rule of humanity, just look at the way comapny drivers drive, thats unless they have the firms name on the side.

Rubbish! I’m sure there are people out there who don’t care, but most people treat them as their own car and don’t want to smash, thrash or trash them.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I don’t have a company car but my boss does and they changed the rules here recently. The one she struggled with is that spouses can drive but not for commuting. Fair enough you would say, except he works just over the road so they car share and it would mean that he can’t drive on that journey. I think after a bit of discussion they agreed that as long as the car gets parked here it doesn’t count as driving to his workplace but it took several rounds or argument!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Does she not have her own car that is insured? In which case she will be covered to drive the Co. car.

samuri
    Free Member

If she has an accident, tell her to pretend she is you.

jota180
    Free Member

Does she not have her own car that is insured? In which case she will be covered to drive the Co. car.

She wouldn’t as she doesn’t have permission to drive it

nealglover
    Free Member

Not without permission to use it she’s not.

And even with permission, only third party fire and theft cover. (Not great if she writes if off and has to replace it herself)

br
    Free Member

I don’t think its that uncommon, i’ve had this ever since i’ve had company cars. Partners/spouse’s arn’t covered – everyone I know is in a similar situation.

First I’d heard of it, and I’ve had company cars on/off for +20 years through 1/2 dozen companies. As said, opt out if its a problem.

druidh
    Free Member

At one of my employers, the policy changed from “yes it’s OK”, to “no it isn’t”. Partly it had to do with the unavailability of cars during the day. Policy was that those running a company car had to make it available to other staff members during the day if they needed it for business purposes. Trouble was, many of the company car drivers weren’t even bringing them to work with them.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Company Car Spouse Driving’ is closed to new replies.