• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Company car choice
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks like ‘s coming down to either a Vauxhall Mokka or an Astra Sports Tourer. Whcih will be better for carrying bikes at the weekend? My 2005 Astra Estate does a great job but the wife likes the look of the Mokka. I’m just wondering if the back is big enough to fit some bikes in.

Anyone have any experience?
    Cheers.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

New job?

Promotion perhaps?

Failing that, a pal has the Astra estate and really likes it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

other cars are on offer but I’m too tight to pay out of my own pocket for them.

brickwizard
    Free Member

Volvo V50 Drive.
    Cheap to run low emissions low CCT

Onzadog
    Free Member

But not on my list at a price I’m willing to pay.

philfive
    Free Member

Van

dannybgoode

Ford Kuga or Nissan Qashqai within budget? Both have good load carrying capabilities.

Cheers

Danny B

dibboid
    Free Member

Have anything and buy a Cheap van. 🙂 then you ain’t stuck when the Mrs wants the car

jamj1974

Have you looked for models that may cost you a little but offer a lower benefit in kind tax?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

a number of my colleagues have the astra, and i nearly chose one too. Went for insignia because it had a few more gadgets and is bigger in the cabin.

They all like the astras, but the real world mpg on the 1.7 cdti is nothing like the claims. those who drive steady still get the low 50’s mpg, same as the insignia.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

also depends on what whether you get fuel or claim back for fuel as an expense. If you claim back then depends on the mileage rates you get.
    Worked cheaper for me to make a contribution & get a 2.2l diesel & get extra 3 to 4p a business mile than go for a smaller car with no contribution.
    Needs a spreadsheet.

philfive
    Free Member

Seriously ask for a van cost £700 in tax.

Got 5 seats
    Enough room in back for 3 bikes.

It’s a Peugeot Partner crew cab.

Work provide all fuel and private mileage for the £700

Onzadog
    Free Member

Right.
    Vans not allowed due to “company image”. Given the choice I’d have a van. Anything over 1.5 lites gets me 19 pence a mile. We get a “contribution” towards the car each month from the company. We pay the rest. I’ve been going through the list and in terms of monthly cost, mpg and size, I’ve currently narrowed it down to the two I’ve mentioned above.

I know there’s other cars out there like Citroen, skoda or Nissan but they’re not on the list.

Has anyone tried loading bikes in the back of a mokka?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Focus Estate 1.6 TDCI, currently getting 60mpg from mine at 70mph, that drops to 50mpg if I drive at 80, which I don’t.

bruk

Surely there must be a better option than a Vauxhall. I know they have improved recently but having been in a new Astra recently I can’t see any reason you wouldn’t go for a Focus instead.

Still an Astra would have to be better than a Mocha. Just awful.

slackman99
    Free Member

Astra 1.7cdti – crap fuel economy. Trip computer regularly ‘reads’ in the 60’s but working it out on actual fuel usage leads to a more accurate figure in the high 40’s to low 50’s.

Mileage 95% motorway at 70mph.

Golf,308 and Focus diesels all lead to 60+ mpg at these speeds.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m running an astra currently (2005). I get on average 54 mpg from a cdti 1.7 estate. I’m not the sort of person who gets excited over cars, it’s just a tool to do a job.

The reason I’ve discounted the focus (both estate and hatch) is because the rear seat base is fixed which means the load space doesn’t fold flat enough for what I want to carry, or how I want to carry it.

cubemeup
    Free Member

I’m due a change, have a look at the skoda oktavia and Mazda 6, I’m having a change from bmw but really unsure wot to go for. Testing the new mazda 6 Monday for a week

br
    Free Member

But not on my list at a price I’m willing to pay.

This is the correct statement when choosing a company car.

My last was a Vectra, and the difference between that and the 5 series I could have had worked out at almost an extra £80 per week in my pocket.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Company car choice’ is closed to new replies.