Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Compact system cameras
  • Dickyboy

Coming from a position of knowing sweet fa about cameras and having a much better half with a significant birthday coming up what would stw think of a
    Panasonic Lumix DC-GX800 for taking half decent family and nature photos? Can get one for £380 from John Lewis

jimjam
    Free Member

Dickyboy – Member

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX800 for taking half decent family and nature photos? Can get one for £380 from John Lewis

It would probably help people advise you if you clarify whether family photos means group shots or portraits and whether nature means wildlife or landscape.

The kit lens would allow you to do decent group shots, lanscapes and it’ll be okay for portraits but if you’re trying to photograph birds or anything wild you’ll need a beefy telephoto lens, preferably something fast with nice bokeh.

Dickyboy

For landscapes and close up nature shots, not telephoto stuff and portraits – mainly baby ones as due to become grandparents next year 🙂

CraigW
    Free Member

I have a GX800, I like it. With the kit lens, it is proper pocket sized, easy to carry anywhere. Tilt screen is nice, eg for low down photos of flowers, or for selfies. Though no viewfinder, which can sometimes be annoying.
    And also not much of grip, due to the small size. It can feel a bit unbalanced if you’re using it with a big telephoto lens.

Its nice with the 25mm prime lens, which is still pretty small, can give you a bit of bokeh for portraits etc.

Also worth a look at the GX80, which is a bit bigger, but gives you a viewfinder, and better grip etc. Its a similar price with the cashback offer.

Dickyboy

Thanks Craig – won’t be using telephoto lens & Mrs has small lady hands, no viewfinder would be an issue for me but last camera she had didn’t have one so I think she will be okay without

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Compact system cameras’ is closed to new replies.