Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Commuting without mudguards – anti social?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Having followed someone this morning and getting a facefull of his road spray due to him not having mudguards, it struck me as being a bit inconsiderate to others. I dropped back to avoid arriving in the office with a black speckled face, but couldn't help thinking 'how rude!'

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Maybe he doesn't like wheel-suckers? 😉

rootes1

just overtake him…. 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

Erm 😯 Def not "anti-social" – think you got things out of perspective 🙄 Are you for real – or is this a Troll?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did your bike have mudguards fitted then?

njee20
    Free Member

Surely a troll?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

OK, no not a troll. I have full mudguards. Was was catching him up to overtake, but had to stay behind while some buses came past (on the wrong side of the road, but that's another story), so I got a face full of spray, dropped back, then when it cleared, overtook.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A troll I reckon, but not a bad one, it almost had me frothing and going on about getting drafted by strangers…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Did you get spray from the cars and busses? – would you call them anti-social? 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

cheesy feet are anti social according to my better half

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am a great believer in mudguards, but I can't claim to ride a bike fitted with them at all times, so I think perhaps I'm not going to take a strong stance on other people doing so. 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

id never thought of that, i will take my rear guard off tonight

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've got them on my tourer/commuter, but I dont mind people sitting on my wheel.

njee20
    Free Member

WGAS?

If he was turning up to group rides week in week out and soaking everyone then maybe, but he's commuting FFS (maybe, he may have just been out for a ride), why should he do something to appease you?

Hang back more, then move past when there's time to. Life's too short!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am going to shorten mine so anyone tailing me gets soaked but my rear is still protected 😀

ourmaninthenorth

I like the idea that riding guard-less might make me liable to receipt of an ASBO. How thrilling!

colande
    Free Member

there is so much hate on the roads,
    cars hate cyclists, lorries, white van man, pedestrians ….
    cyclists hate cars, lorries, white van man, pedestrians ….
    lorries hate ……
    etc etc

and now cyclist hate cyclists

why can't we all just get along.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Blimey! Wasn't expecting this response! Maybe I just think of my fellow humans as well as not wanting to get a soggy arse!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Don't think its an issue myself Cheesy – annoying to you maybe but as said before either hang back (like you would with a car producing spray) or just overtake him. I have never thought of putting on mudguards to save someone getting sprayed (oooh err 😉 ) myself 🙂 Wet arse yes 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

cos it ain't that simple colande!

colande
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    cos it ain't that simple colande!

why not 🙂
    i like to think it is,
    lets all start loving each other, and the world will be a better place

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

This guy didn't have mudguards, and look what happened to him 😯

mk1fan
    Free Member

Cheesyfeet,

I think your hazard identification skills need some work. Have you read Cyclecraft?

Woody
    Free Member

Probably been done already but did that officer get charged ?

sofatester
    Free Member

Don't feed the troll 😀

Sam

Certainly on wet road bunch ride it's considered pretty antisocial not to have mudguards on (and a long rear flap) though to extend this to commuting is a bit much. Sure, it's considerate to have full guards and flaps, but I wouldn't by extension say it's inconsiderate not to.

Haze

Woody – Member
    Probably been done already but did that officer get charged ?

Linky

DrP

Citizen's arrest?

DrP

mk1fan
    Free Member

(and a long rear flap)

and flaps

:mrgreen:

Gary_M
    Free Member

No guards you say, how very, very rude. Some people are just so inconsiderate, will someone please think of the rider right up yer arse.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Haze

I see the officer got off with just losing his job, which he had only been in a very short while and a conditional discharge (with NO conditions). God bless America 🙄

HERE

edit – watching that agin, right at the end before the slomo, did someone nick the poor guys bike as well?

highclimber
    Free Member

apparently, smoking weed daily means you are allowed to be assaulted by an officer of the law!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Try road riding in a group in winter/autumn -I use guards and an extra mudflap to stop spray and you get fellow riders covering you with a shower-while nice in hot summer in winter you're at risk of swallowing poop and coming down with gut flu.

The benefit is that it makes you ride a lot faster than the guy without mudflaps lol.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Were not talking about group rides – one man commuting to work 😯

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Commuting without mudguards – anti social?’ is closed to new replies.