Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Commuting: V's vs Canti's
  • teacake
    Free Member

So what are the pros/cons/differences?

Cheers!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Insufficiently important to worry about. Seriously. 🙂

drumon

V's are easier to set up and tweak.
    Cantilevers work fine though.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Never had much success with Cantis or Mini-V's, converted my cross to V's and the are significantly better, I am running it singlespeed with V drop levers.
    On my geared cross, I have a Disc on the front and an Avid Shorty 6 (latest design) on the rear, and the Canti just isn't up to the job. I am thinking of putting a V on there, but will have to use a Travelagent as I have STIs fitted.

Doug

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got cantis on my crosser and have not issues at all . easier to set up and adjust than v's to me too. just make sure you get some with cartridge pads to make life easier

Big-Dave
    Free Member

It all depends on which sort of brake you find easier to set up. I find V's easier to work with and that I can get them to work with a bit more bite than Canti's. If you do go for V's make sure you get decent quality ones as the cheaper ones don't offer the same ease of adjustment.

aracer
    Free Member

Vs are easier to set up, but don't work properly with STI levers without some sort of adapter. Given adapters seem a bit of a kludge and don't perform that well, I'd use cantis with STIs. Then again if it's a road bike we're talking about, calipers work best and are easiest to set up.

teacake
    Free Member

Thanks for the all the feedback. I'm not in need of tons of power.

aracer – I am using with STI levers [though they are only brake levers – it's a fixed gear]. I'm going to go with your philosophy – canti's cause that's the lever they're meant for.

Cheers STW.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you're only using the drop hoods as brake levers (ie not shifters) then Dia Compe do a specific v-brake drop bar lever – use those and you'd be able to bang decent vees on without any compromise.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I am using the Tektro V-brake Drop Bar Levers on the cross, and they work great, also cheaper than the DiaCompe.

Doug

Gary_M
    Free Member

All these people saying cantis are fine, do you actually ride in the wet? Although v's aren't much better in the rain to be honest.

AdamM
    Free Member

Except that the Dia Compe 287V brake lever is a horrid thing, really narrow hoods and grossly uncomfortable.

If it's a commute bike then you should be fitting full mudguards too (even it you're not going to) so cantilevers provide a lot more room for the 'guard. The V-brake cable tends to interfere with the 'guard otherwise.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yes, I do ride in the wet. I must have SICK to the Max roadcraft and MaD braking skillz. 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Same 'core skilz as the Notorious BigD so no vex 🙂

aP
    Free Member

If you take your time setting canti's up properly then they can be pretty powerful – even in the wet. V brakes require such tight clearance between pad and rim and are very affected by pad wear that they can be quite difficult to keep in tune with drop bar levers without cable adjusters.

karnali
    Free Member

tektro froglegg cantis cr520 i think is the model easy to set up and very effective

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

two words: BRAKE JUDDER.

If a canti cable is anchored at the top of the headtube, when the fork flexes backwards under breaking the cable stretches pulling the brake on harder, causing more flex etc.. this results in (sometimes quite severe) brake judder. Can be fixed with a fork mounted hanger apparently, but i just moved to V's.

Apart from that the cantis worked fine, and even felt a bit more powerful (Avid shorties). This was on an old MTB where the original STI levers wouldn't work with V's.

firestarter
    Free Member

my cantis work fine in the wet. Too many people are used to disks there days cantis have been fine on the three peaks for years and im sure will remain so for years to come. Never had judder either i must just have been lucky or set them up right 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

conversely all you guys moaning about cantis in the wet or even the dry ….

ever used a PROPPERLY set up pair ……

unfortunately badly set up disks still work so thats why gorilla mits get away with making them work sufficiently enough to perform adequate for most people to think they are amazing !

Takes a bit of skill and your stumped …

aracer
    Free Member

The thing is, it was the fact you didn't need to be a genius to set up Vs well which made them so popular (before discs made them largely obsolete).

trail_rat
    Free Member

not disputing that.

but just pisses me off that people are dismissing cantis as obsolete when they clearly havnt used a set of good quality cantis set up correctly …

probably the same folk that think they need disks on a road bike cause there cheap shit tektro dual pivots with the plastic pads dont slow there 16 stone bulk down in the wet …..

even SORA dual pivots would be a significant upgrade in braking power !

aracer
    Free Member

I think we're largely in agreement on this, trail_rat.

abductee
    Free Member

I don't agree at all. My obsolete cantis were rubbish. New bolcks and p1sing about made them work kind of OK for about a week before they were rubbish again. When my cycle path crossed a minor road and a sports car took me by surprise I strained the tendons in both wrists trying to stop which took several months to heal. I have now fitted V brakes and whilst they squeal a bit they are much more efficient.

If I took your advice should I take the disk brakes off my bike and upgrade them to cantis? and remove the 27 gears and replace with single speed? then remove the rear shock and replace with a block of wood? and swap the fork for a rigid one? whilst I'm about it I might as well get rid of those wire wheels and fit wooden spokes. Pneumatic tyres, they just cause punctures. Solid rubber that's the future. I shall bypass the penny farthing stage and go straight for the velocipede take the cranks off so that I can push it along with my feet on the ground.

Luddites

aracer
    Free Member

Luddites

First time I've been called that in relation to bikes – I'll take it as a compliment!

firestarter
    Free Member

bulb end 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

my V's on my tricross dont permit the fitment of guards………..so specialized have promised to send me some canti's free of charge 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

abductee – yawn

MTB and cross and road are 3 completely different things….

I have v Brakes on my tricross cause its what it came with and frankly they are too powerful for the contact patch of the tire and i find my self skidding in the wet trying to stop (on a 700×28 semi slick) – perhaps i should fit 29×2.1s to take advantage of the brakes by your logic – then fit some disk brakes …..

Different brakes for different purposes imo

like i said if you can set em up they are fine – i will assume since you strained both wrists trying to stop you couldnt there are a few tricks to it. When set up they are just about as good as v brakes when working with smaller tires

AdamM
    Free Member

I have v Brakes on my tricross cause its what it came with and frankly they are too powerful for the contact patch of the tire and i find my self skidding in the wet trying to stop

Sounds to me you need to learn how to brake properly. Seriously, I was running 700x23s (because that's what I had) on the Peregrine with discs front and rear and I never skidded a tyre.

I don't entirely disagree with your points about different brakes for different purposes. But I do think that hub brakes (of some kind, disc, drum, whatever) are ideal for day in day out commuting because they contribute to a very low maintenance bike where you don't have to worry about rim wear and replacement. Similarly, for non CX racers who don't have to worry abvout the UCI rules, 'cross bikes with discs make a lot of sense – I have a friend who wears out a rim on his 'cross bike every two months in winter!

grumm
    Free Member

If a canti cable is anchored at the top of the headtube, when the fork flexes backwards under breaking the cable stretches pulling the brake on harder, causing more flex etc.. this results in (sometimes quite severe) brake judder. Can be fixed with a fork mounted hanger apparently, but i just moved to V's.

Ah – I have this and was wondering what caused it. My cantis work fine for braking my 16 stone bulk btw.

firestarter
    Free Member

trail_rat pic earlier of my bike taking advantage of a bigger tyre contact patch 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

trail_rat I do have a set of properly set (I've been using cantis for about 20 years) up good quality cantis and to say they stop fine in the wet is nonsense. For a start they need to shift the water off the rim before you have any chance of stopping, no magic set up will get round that fact. I ride 40 miles a day with a bike fitted with cantis so I'm more used to them than any other brake.

A commute in heavy rain, someone brakes hard in the car in front, cantis do not stop you quickly without your life flashing before your eyes. Why would any canti user believe otherwise.

I'm not moaning about them as I know their limitations and ride accordingly..

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Just to add my tuppence worth I've spent my lunch hour stripping the old canti's of my Thorn Sherpa and sticking on V's (working from home today). They look a hell of a lot nicer and weigh a lot less (this weight saving is wiped out only by the small fact that the rest of the bike weighs about the same as a small car!). No problems with mud guard clearence and I'll hopefully have more powerful judder free brakes.

Just got to persuade the old brake levers to release their grip on the bars…

downshep

Cantis are great for commuting as they are more progressive, have greater mudguard clearance and can be popped open quite easily at puncture time.

Vs deffo more powerful but no one likes premature rim wear.

RoterStern
    Free Member

For commuting it's got to be a fixie and your foot as the front brake. 😉

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I have commuted on proper road bikes, mtb's with slicks, and tbh what I have now is the closest to my ideal commuter. It is:

Hybrid alu frame with EBB
    Flat bars + bar ends
    8 speed Hub gear
    Small disc brakes
    700c wheels with fattish slick tyres
    Full length mudguards
    About 15Kg

Its mainly for my 6-10 mile each way commute – had too many "close calls" with the road bike. Also do a lot of training on it, generally 50-100 mile loops. The weight is fine when you get up to speed.

I laugh at fannies with cantis and v-brakes – they are shit in the wet, which this country is 70% of the time.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

whats all this stuff about setup relating to Canti's?

My Avid shorties had a fixed cable bridge between the two, and the pads adjusted in the same way to V's, so all you can do there is toe them in or out.

What other setup needs to be done?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

What other setup needs to be done?

If you happen to be a mechanical dimwit like me setting up Cantis usually involves long hours in the garage shouting at bits of wire that never seem to be at the right angle or length.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've got Avid BB5 Discs on my commuter bike, 160mm rotors, 700cc wheels and 28mm slick thingies with little grooves cut in them.

Stops ace dunnit 😆

Got shimano STX-RC brakes on another bike and they don't stop very well 😥

trail_rat
    Free Member

i remember as a kid having cantis on my claude butler bike – they werent good quality – infact they were plastic

But all the other kids envyed my skidding and endo ability due to the fact my dad was a demon at setting them up.

He passed this skill onto me and i seem to have no issues stopping.

I too had avid shorties on tiagra STI`s and rode down some mega mega steep mountain roads in wet and dry loaded up with 30+ kg of touring kit. zero issues on maxxis locust CX tires.

drumon

Tell us the way then please Trail_rat. how do you do it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Commuting: V's vs Canti's’ is closed to new replies.